LaunchBox Community Forums

Static controller ID in MameUI64?

Mattardo

Hi there.

I'm having the usual problem of fightsticks being reassigned inputs in Mame whenever they are unplugged - I'm positive we know what I'm talking about heh heh. I've followed the oft-reccomended video, I've read the documentation, I've collected my controller ids by running Mame in -v mode, etc. - but there is one big problem: MameUI64 doesn't seem to have the same type of mame.ini file contents, so I cannot simply edit the ctrlr line to read remap, etc. There is no ctrlr line to begin with. What's more, there simply is no section for core in MameUI64's mame.ini file - the contents of the file seem very sparse compared to the examples I've seen of other versions of Mame.

Is this because this is not a so-called command line version of Mame? Any help would be appreciated!

Edited by Mattardo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DOS76 said:

The fastest fix I could think of would be just to use MAME and not a derivative beyond that no clue.

I gave that a shot today, and was able to edit the mame.ini file to point to my config file. Hopefully it works! I'll know if it remembers everything, I suppose.

2 hours ago, Headrush69 said:

If you put your controller map into the ctlr folder in MAMEUI64, it will appear in the GUI under Controllers->Defaiult input layout to use.

I think I may try that again - I tried that yesterday with little success. Perhaps I had something wrong in my config file. I've tried a different version of Mame today as a test, and if that controller config works I will try it again in MAMEUI64 - I know exactly the GUI options you've mentioned, I just didn't have any luck yesterday when I tried.

7 minutes ago, Mattardo said:

Mame really needs to up their game in this area. I know there is a method to their madness, but come on... a little option can't be that difficult to program in there. It certainly seems to be a big enough issue.

Not really sure what you are talking about here.

I use command line MAME, took my controller.map file, downloaded MAME64UI, put my map in ctlr folder in MAME64UI folder and selected it in UI. Ran a game and checked in log file and it was ready and applied as expected.

13 minutes ago, Headrush69 said:

Not really sure what you are talking about here.

I use command line MAME, took my controller.map file, downloaded MAME64UI, put my map in ctlr folder in MAME64UI folder and selected it in UI. Ran a game and checked in log file and it was ready and applied as expected.

Oh, I'm going to try the exact same thing. Once I've determined it's working in regular Mame, that's the plan. For whatever reason yesterday my config file wasn't working as expected. Hopefully, I've remedied that so I can use MAMEUI64 again.

What I was referring to was the overall problem that Mame has with reassigning input devices when they are unplugged, the pc is restarted, etc. Honestly, a simple option within Mame itself to remember the ID of the controllers is much easier for the typical end-user, rather than having to run command line prompts, create cfg files, edit ini files, etc. I'm not alone in this, from what I've read. I understand why they made it the way they did, but they could make it easier.

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

That isn't MAME that is Windows that is responsible for changing your controller ids that is the reason MAME add the ability to setup the controller id feature.

Yes, I understand that it is Windows reassigning things.

I appreciate the ability provided by Mame - but good Lord they could have made it easier on the average end user to set it up.

• 3 years later...

Hello I am in need of some help with this. I have created the config file "controls" and placed it in the "ctrl" folder, and set in mame.ini to point to that file. In Mame you can go to device ID and copy it, as directed in the Mame site, and paste it into the config file or put the input ID.
I get "fatal Error: Could not load controller configuration file controls.cfg" regardless of which way I do it. Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe I am just missing a step or did not write the config file proper?

ID VERSION
<mameconfig version=”10”>
   <system name=”default”>
      <input>

<mapdevice device=”VID_046D&PID_C24F” controller=”JOYCODE_1” />

</input>
   </system>
</mameconfig>

MAME DEVICE ID COPY

<system name=”default”>
      <input>

<mapdevice device=”Logitech G HUB G29 Driving Force Racing Wheel USB product_c24f046d-0000-0000-0000-504944564944 instance_2c2c8660-f0d1-11ed-8013-444553540000” controller=”JOYCODE_1” />

</input>
   </system>
</mameconfig>

Edited by 5thWolf

1 hour ago, 5thWolf said:

I have created the config file "controls" and placed it in the "ctrl" folder, and set in mame.ini to point to that file.

On your ID Version... insert before your line 1 <?xml version="1.0"?>.   On your <mapdevice device= line, change the ampersand (&) to &amp;

<?xml version="1.0"?>
   <system name=”default”>
      <input>
         <mapdevice device=”VID_046D&amp;PID_C24F” controller=”JOYCODE_1” />
      </input>
   </system>
</mameconfig>

• Like 1

oooooo I missed the &amp;
But shouldn't copying what mame gives you into clipboard work? if it does it will make it a million times easier to handle the IDs. it says it in the site:

However, every config file  in the folder and the example on MAME site doesn't have that xml version. Does it need it??
Regardless I did try your code with and without the xml version and still got the error. 😔

image.thumb.png.d5681334c6164a8eec839fd427477f1a.png

1 hour ago, 5thWolf said:

But shouldn't copying what mame gives you into clipboard work? if it does it will make it a million times easier to handle the IDs. it says it in the site

I would make it "easier".  And the site says to do that.  But in their example, it also shows using &amp;.  So not sure what to tell you on that.  But I can say, using &amp; does work.

8 hours ago, 5thWolf said:

"fatal Error: Could not load controller configuration file controls.cfg"

Looking back at the original error, it almost reads like it can't find the file.   What does the line before it show?  This happens when I rename my .cfg file:

image.thumb.png.d3e83c5f626efcbeb8850f6950277307.png

? Double check the spelling of your actual file (/ctrlr/controls.cfg) ?

? Double check that in mame.ini ctrlrpath is [still] set to ctrlr ?

• Like 1

It seems to find it, it just says it cant load it

When i first tried the cfg i didn't put it in the right folder and it just out right crashed. When i moved it to ctrlr is just said can't load it.

Mine is just a windows error popup box from mame, will send a pic tomorrow when i can, doesn't look like your pic though just that single line i quoted before. I double checked spelling and file location you have it correct. And mame ini points to ctrlr.