LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox crash while sitting idle doing attract mode

MrSco

30 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Also @ItchyRobot and @MrSco remind me what Big Box themes you're using? That may help me reproduce.

I am using the 'All Night Long' theme... but I have tried just about every theme with the same results, including a couple you suggested in the past.

I can't help but to wonder if it is caused by a fucked up video file. Maybe one that got screwed up mid download through Launchbox... just a complete guess. I am going to do a test tonight where I only allow attract mode to scroll through my Visual Pinball X platform. I created all those videos, so I know they all work fine.

34 minutes ago, ItchyRobot said:

I am using the 'All Night Long' theme... but I have tried just about every theme with the same results, including a couple you suggested in the past.

I can't help but to wonder if it is caused by a fucked up video file. Maybe one that got screwed up mid download through Launchbox... just a complete guess. I am going to do a test tonight where I only allow attract mode to scroll through my Visual Pinball X platform. I created all those videos, so I know they all work fine.

To be honest, I'm doubtful that that's the issue, but it can't hurt to test it. I'm running some more testing to see if I can replicate.

I'm on 16GB RAM & Intel Core i7 7700K and after some time BigBox gets sluggish and crashes even on the default theme (I've provided logs/videos in previous threads/posts). I do have just over 200 platforms and 50k games and know this was an issue a while ago then people stopped complaining about it. Probably unrelated but could be something similar like with LaunchBox when you have heaps of platforms then go to import a large platform it causes the import to take longer/work harder? in my case and others it takes MAME 2hrs when I have 200+ platforms about 30-40 seconds with a fresh copy of LaunchBox and yes, I know this has nothing to do with BigBox but if the culprit is having too many platforms/games causing the crash because BigBox is working overtime and can't keep up?

MrSco how many platforms/games do you have if it's quite a bit this might be hard for Jason to rule out or replicate as from posts I've seen he mentioned he tests with PCs that have around 5k games I think it was

Edited by wallmachine

4 minutes ago, wallmachine said:

I'm on 16GB RAM & Intel Core i7 7700K and after some time BigBox gets sluggish and crashes even on the default theme (I've provided logs/videos in previous threads/posts). I do have just over 200 platforms and 50k games and know this was an issue a while ago then people stopped complaining about it. Probably unrelated but could be something similar like with LaunchBox when you have heaps of platforms then go to import a large platform it causes the import to take longer/work harder? in my case and others it takes MAME 2hrs when I have 200+ platforms about 30-40 seconds with a fresh copy of LaunchBox and yes, I know this has nothing to do with BigBox but if the culprit is having too many platforms/games causing the crash because BigBox is working overtime and can't keep up?

MrSco how many platforms/games do you have if it's quite a bit this might be hard for Jason to rule out or replicate as from posts I've seen he mentioned he tests with PCs that have around 5k games I think it was

I have about 30 platforms with like 13,000 games in total. All with video snaps and images. 

Just now, MrSco said:

I have about 30 platforms with like 13,000 games in total. All with video snaps and images. 

Sometimes while watching attract mode I see BigBox loose my platform images so maybe something similar happens for you? corrupt caching any one mans guess I tried deleting the BigBox cache from the folder etc no luck

5 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@MrSco It will be helpful to know whether you have the issue with those old versions. This is a slightly different fault offset number than the other error I was searching with, so that is helpful as well. I assume it was on a different system?

This was the same system but new launchbox 11.5 beta version

Just now, wallmachine said:

Sometimes while watching attract mode I see BigBox loose my platform images so maybe something similar happens for you? corrupt caching any one mans guess I tried deleting the BigBox cache from the folder etc no luck

Nah. Bigbox stays performant the whole time it’s running for the most part. If I scrolled the wheel too quickly, sometimes the clear logos would take a second or two to show up. I’ve purged and rebuilt the cache before and it helped But ultimately still crashes

Thanks for the responses @MrSco. For what it's worth, I do most of my testing with about 15,000 games.

I did notice that I was out of date with Windows updates on a few of my test systems, so I'm updating them all to Windows 10 version 2004, just in case that happens to be related. One of them was a real pain to update because Windows update kept erroring out. I had to run both sfc /scannow multiple times and dism in order to get it to update, sigh.

8 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@MrSco It will be helpful to know whether you have the issue with those old versions. This is a slightly different fault offset number than the other error I was searching with, so that is helpful as well. I assume it was on a different system?

I'm trying to rollback to v9.10 in the LaunchBox/Updates folder. It works for launchbox... but then i go to open bigbox and it immediately installs the latest v11.4 stable version. i turned off auto updates but still no go... how do i roll back?

On 9/11/2020 at 9:06 PM, MrSco said:

I'm trying to rollback to v9.10 in the LaunchBox/Updates folder. It works for launchbox... but then i go to open bigbox and it immediately installs the latest v11.4 stable version. i turned off auto updates but still no go... how do i roll back?

@Jason Carr i got v9.10 going now. i had to move all the newer updates out of the updates folder so it wouldn't automatically update on launch. i'll let it run on my 8700/1080ti  for a while and see how it does and report back.

also, here's another crash from a different machine (not the NUC) using a clone of the drive....

Faulting application name: BigBox.exe, version: 11.2.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f08aebb
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.207, time stamp: 0xcad89ab4
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000fdec9
Faulting process id: 0x1a2c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d65bad05da602b
Faulting application path: H:\Arcade\LaunchBox\BigBox.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 9973dd89-1178-44f2-95a5-2edd80b658c0
Faulting package full name:

14 hours ago, MrSco said:

@Jason Carr i got v9.10 going now. i had to move all the newer updates out of the updates folder so it wouldn't automatically update on launch. i'll let it run on my 8700/1080ti  for a while and see how it does and report back.

also, here's another crash from a different machine (not the NUC) using a clone of the drive....

Faulting application name: BigBox.exe, version: 11.2.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f08aebb
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.207, time stamp: 0xcad89ab4
Fault offset: 0x00000000000fdec9
Faulting process id: 0x1a2c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d65bad05da602b
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 9973dd89-1178-44f2-95a5-2edd80b658c0

@Jason Carr I couldn't get full screen videos on games (only platforms had fullscreen videos) on version 9.10; it only would show coverflow view for game wheel no matter what view i selected (not sure if i made my data xml cranky by downgrading and upgrading versions so much) ... so i switched to v10.0 for testing where full screen videos would play on all views to make sure its truly stressing...

yet another crash after about 8 hours of running on another computer (diff rig from above), running a clone of the same drive... unified redux theme... i7 8700/16gb ram/1080ti ... 

Faulting application name: BigBox.exe, version: 10.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5d766db7
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.488, time stamp: 0x70e69bad
Fault offset: 0x00000000000fed79
Faulting process id: 0x4734
Faulting application start time: 0x01d68a2aa6320ebe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: ca1af24a-a3cd-405a-897f-0aed302bddcb
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

@MrSco All good info. I don't see anything new coming to light with those new error messages, unfortunately. The fact that you are seeing the same thing with 10.0 is telling, however, as it looks like it wasn't introduced recently.

I've been testing with zero crashes on all five of my testing machines since Friday. I'm gonna just ask you a bunch of questions in hopes that we can find a lead. Forgive me if I've asked any of these already:

• Is there anything in common on the machines that are crashing (such as a particular USB device attached or a particular piece of software that's installed)?
  • What version of Windows 10 are all of the machines running (you can look this up easily by typing winver into the Start menu)?
  • By some miracle, does 11.5 resolve the issue (lots of fixes did go into 11.5)?
  • What models are the external and internal hard drives/SSDs that you're using?
  • What file systems are you using on the drives (NTFS, exFAT, or FAT32)?

I ask these not to blame any of it, but so that I might be able to determine the cause or change something in a test system in order to replicate.

On 9/11/2020 at 6:05 AM, MrSco said:

Just got a crash after 10 hours or so on latest 11.5 beta...

Faulting application name: BigBox.exe, version: 11.5.0.4, time stamp: 0x5ee99cfc
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.18362.1049, time stamp: 0xb5beef21
Fault offset: 0x00000000000f9229
Faulting process id: 0x2640
Faulting application start time: 0x01d687b41bd94788
Faulting application path: H:\Arcade\LaunchBox\Core\BigBox.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 3b148de2-ce76-4ee5-ab21-6d9b06637697
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

I'm gonna setup an old v10 build to test... maybe even v9 (this may have started with v10)

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

@MrSco All good info. I don't see anything new coming to light with those new error messages, unfortunately. The fact that you are seeing the same thing with 10.0 is telling, however, as it looks like it wasn't introduced recently.

I've been testing with zero crashes on all five of my testing machines since Friday. I'm gonna just ask you a bunch of questions in hopes that we can find a lead. Forgive me if I've asked any of these already:

• Is there anything in common on the machines that are crashing (such as a particular USB device attached or a particular piece of software that's installed)?
  • What version of Windows 10 are all of the machines running (you can look this up easily by typing winver into the Start menu)?
  • By some miracle, does 11.5 resolve the issue (lots of fixes did go into 11.5)?
  • What models are the external and internal hard drives/SSDs that you're using?
  • What file systems are you using on the drives (NTFS, exFAT, or FAT32)?

I ask these not to blame any of it, but so that I might be able to determine the cause or change something in a test system in order to replicate.

• nothing too much in common between machines.
  • bare bones fresh windows 10 x64 pro all with latest updates - version 2004 (OS Build 19041.508)
  • see above
  • mostly western digital my passport 3.5" usb3 hdd. couple seagate baracuda internal 3tb. and a segate usb3 3.5" external 
  • all NTFS

13 minutes ago, MrSco said:

• nothing too much in common between machines.
  • bare bones fresh windows 10 x64 pro all with latest updates - version 2004 (OS Build 19041.508)
  • see above
  • mostly western digital my passport 3.5" usb3 hdd. couple seagate baracuda internal 3tb. and a segate usb3 3.5" external 
  • all NTFS

Okay, I happen to have a My Passport as well. Gonna copy a collection over to that to test with.

On 9/9/2020 at 1:38 PM, MrSco said:

We've been over this already... I've tested and also my friend using a clone of my drive on a different drive (

):

Different drives (internal/external), different machines (high-end/low-end/in-between), fresh window 10 installs ... they all crash... and the one constant is BigBox.exe. you're NUC hardware argument holds no water unless you have an explanation for BigBox.exe crashing on my 8700 i7 16gb ram 1080Ti GPU. (and my buddy's gaming rig mentioned in his post).

I've attached my data folder... ? I'm out of ideas... its gotta be related to the actual software on the drive(s) either the launchbox setup/settings/data or the images or videos themselvess? ... not the hardware though... that's clearly proven with the testing.

Data.zip 6.03 MB · 1 download

@Jason Carr

• Like 1

@MrSco I'm currently testing with your data on the WD external drive. Out of curiosity, I'm wondering if perhaps there's a custom setting that could be causing the issue. Either way, I'll probably find out soon enough in my testing, but if you want to test, you can try deleting your Settings.xml and BigBoxSettings.xml files (actually probably best to just temporarily move them somewhere else, so you can get them back). I'm curious if that makes any difference. I'll let you know how my testing goes.

@MrSco So I got crash, per se, but it wasn't in the way that I expected at all. Somehow the video/display just stopped updating, but I could hear Big Box still running in the background. It was stuck on a particular Big Box screen and I could hear my keypresses doing things, but the display wasn't updating. That's a weird issue that I've never seen before. I eventually killed the process and noted that the entire Windows interface was screwed up, so Windows just took a dump. I doubt that it's related to what you're seeing, unfortunately.

I'm restarting the testing process over.