LaunchBox Community Forums

Restricted/Invalid/Non-English Characters for Filename/Game-DB-name

Privacy

3 hours ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

.... I was under the impression that 4 gameplay images are enough or am I wrong?

Could you provide a link to where this is stated? I can't seem to find it in the rules, nor do I remember typing that rule out...

edit: I usually only add 10 of "Screenshot - Gameplay" images not including game title. If I add more, it's what the Dev included alongside their original thread, where the hack was announced.

Edited by Vloshko

36 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Only 10? Why so many? No I don't have a link to any rules about this but 4 gameplay images seems sufficient enough.

Well, the first few weeks of moderating, the majority of new GB games in the moderation que had more than 10, one had 30 fanart submissions, and I couldn't find a rule saying anything about number of images. So I went with the least amount required by Pokecommunity. Plus I made a list to abide by (rarely I exceed those 10 "Screenshot - Gameplay" images, if I do, it's for a good reason). If a game doesn't have much in general, then I'll upload less.

I try to include the following with "Screenshot - Gameplay":

1. Region map
  2. PokeCenter and PokeMart (in one image)
  3. PokeDex
  4. One unusual biome
  5. Pokemon summary screen
  6. Battle Image
  7. Special Feature (trade evolution without the trade, specialty vendor, example of the ability to use something similar to an HM, pokemon following you, etc...)
  8. Character creation if unique (examples: prism, crystal clear) or unique character image.
  9. Pokemon Info
  10. Legendary or starter options

These are usually the things most players are interested in when it comes to pokemon rom hacks. In addition, these 10 images provide a decent assessment of what you are going to be interacting with.

Edited by Vloshko

You also have to take into consideration other users that use the service, not all have unlimited download bandwidth, or are on slower connections, also but less than the previous is HD space. Remember once they tick that box to scrape that artwork they have no control over the ammount of images that download. 

So again please please stop trying to make things more excessive than they need to be. No way does one game require that ammount of screenshots. We all get you are passionate about doing things right, but from my personal view you are treating it as your own personal project, as as such want to mould it to the way you want it, and not take into consideration other users or the work that was previously done.

I am curious about the  'Pokecommunity requirements' as you put it. As far as im aware this is the LB/BB community DB, so your notion that their 'amount required' are valid here is a bit puzzling.

Edited by MadK9
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MadK9 said:

You also have to take into consideration other users that use the service, not all have unlimited download bandwidth, or are on slower connections, also but less than the previous is HD space. Remember once they tick that box to scrape that artwork they have no control over the ammount of images that download...

If you want to calculate an estimate of how much disk space costs CLICK HERE I'm not doing the math for kb/mb.

Those with data caps or on slower connections, should scrape with a plan and not go about it mindlessly in the case of massive downloads There are options.

For some reason LaunchBox won't download any images when I do a massive scrape for only rom hacks, I have done them ALL individually (by hand).

You clearly have no idea how much space those images take up.

It's unlikely that a user has 20+ gigs of Pokemon ROM Hacks for GBA.

For a bit of perspective, here are two folders that contain ROMs and images only for Pokemon ROM Hacks for the Nintendo Game Boy Advance:

image.png.e52e389ff45b0ae9f302e71e0369b600.pngimage.png.8d095e7a6fa1b6c75f902e2edeb69fbe.pngLet's dive into the "Screenshot - Gameplay" folder:

image.png.1fb784fef3dc614266ad538375ce7f6c.png

Here is the parent folder for all my images contained in LaunchBox on my travel drive:

image.png.29c3a5c879f8ca29276178acdf38264e.png

Traveling drive 1tb SSD. Main drives are at home or I would post screens of those 8tb HDDs as well:

image.thumb.png.84fd4973f98387693f45f9d8cfcedcf4.png

@MadK9

That's not all the rom hacks I have. I prefer to work on one category at a time.

PLUS, that's not compressed yet [(which is quite easy) you could compress images too, but not a major concern]

Edited by Vloshko

one image I forgot to add above:

image.thumb.png.91b4dbf92f98460003a7ad7d77894143.png@MadK9 :

1 hour ago, MadK9 said:

I think you are missing the point i was trying to make. 

I don't think I'm missing your point, please correct me if this is the point I decided to not address initially:

We all get you are passionate about doing things right, but from my personal view you are treating it as your own personal project, as as such want to mould it to the way you want it, and not take into consideration other users or the work that was previously done.

From what I have seen, many (not all) contributors tackle subjects they are enthusiastic about and in similar ways make it a personal project to aid in the growth of the DB. I'm not breaking any rule, I re-typed the rules for a few reasons. The DB is still in an infantile state. We may see image limits in the future if that's deemed necessary by a Dev.

The mistakes I made that were pointed out by @Suhrvivor were corrected and continue to be as they appear.

As I'm sure you have been following along with this thread, I would like to state outright that the original suggestion/title has come to focus primarily on Pokemon ROM Hacks. In essence, disregard my suggestion for all other titles.

I will add to my answer in regard to your main argument: 

3 hours ago, MadK9 said:

You also have to take into consideration other users that use the service, not all have unlimited download bandwidth, or are on slower connections, also but less than the previous is HD space. Remember once they tick that box to scrape that artwork they have no control over the ammount of images that download.

Then it would be wise to adjust their checkboxes/preferences/settings accordingly. Those that don't have the limits you outlined, shouldn't be restrained by them.

****** HOWEVER, If the amount and/or size of images, is or becomes detrimental to the DB itself, then limits should be created and enforced. ******

I am curious about the  'Pokecommunity requirements' as you put it. As far as im aware this is the LB/BB community DB, so your notion that their 'amount required' are valid here is a bit puzzling.

What you're curious about, I thought I explained to the best of my ability in my previous comment:

4 hours ago, Vloshko said:

Well, the first few weeks of moderating, the majority of new GB games in the moderation que had more than 10, one had 30 fanart submissions, and I couldn't find a rule saying anything about number of images. So I went with the least amount required by Pokecommunity. Plus I made a list to abide by (rarely I exceed those 10 "Screenshot - Gameplay" images, if I do, it's for a good reason). If a game doesn't have much in general, then I'll upload less.

I try to include the following with "Screenshot - Gameplay":

1. Region map
  2. PokeCenter and PokeMart (in one image)
  3. PokeDex
  4. One unusual biome
  5. Pokemon summary screen
  6. Battle Image
  7. Special Feature (trade evolution without the trade, specialty vendor, example of the ability to use something similar to an HM, pokemon following you, etc...)
  8. Character creation if unique (examples: prism, crystal clear) or unique character image.
  9. Pokemon Info
  10. Legendary or starter options

These are usually the things most players are interested in when it comes to pokemon rom hacks. In addition, these 10 images provide a decent assessment of what you are going to be interacting with.

If you are still puzzled after a second read-through, please outline the specifics you wish me to explain in greater detail, I will do my best.

edit: A lot of this is purely my opinion.

Edited by Vloshko

• Temp locked this topic