LaunchBox Community Forums

Bigbox randomly exiting to desktop

floodie

hi guys - so after leaving big box on for a while, i come back and its normally always back to desk top.. no error message or anything.

ive searched and seen that it sometimes can be VLC related and changing to WMP helps... 

Ive changed to WMP and not been able to leave it long enough to test fully however many of the videos play not too great compared to VLC.. so idealy want to stay with VLC however need to fix this crashing out problem somehow..

Anyone have any ideas?

Perhaps an update of VLC or WMP??

Here you go - Left the machine over night and returned again to Desktop, no error.. Seems this log was created just before 1am.. Which means it had been on just running (with no input) for just under 2 hours. If im going to use Bigbox then I need these units to stay on, its quite important so any help appreciated.

A few notes :

- I have 8GB of ram (is the system running out of ram, after only 2 hours?!)

- Using Unified

- Changed Cover flow to Lowest (even though i would rather a higher setting)

- Opened up VLC in Launchbox\thirdparty folder and unticked two prompts which seemed as though it was asking to collect data from the net (These machines are not connected to the net so thought it maybe that).

Here is the log attached

Thanks

Debug 2020-04-29 08-12-09 PM.log

Edited by floodie

I have a feeling that this is due to Attract mode. I have done numerous tests today, bear in mind a test takes a good couple of hours so can only do so many.. however if i approach at about the time i feel its about to go its always hellaslow!... can bearly get to the reboot menu to refresh it. Its clearly using up some resources some where.

I am now running a test of attract mode on > no switching platforms > doesnt start for 5 minutes > stays on game for 40 seconds as opposed 10 seconds before. In theory my thinking here is that it may last 4x as long. Who knows. Will know in an hour or so roughly.

Thoughts please regardless as i do need a fix or some suggestions.

The only time I have lockup issues is due to attract mode in BigBox. I will leave it doing it thing, only to come back and find my machine locked up an hour later. This requires me to cont/alt/del to get to my task manager to clumsily try to quit out of BigBox without being able to see my mouse.

Even stranger, last night it locked up but was showing my desktop, and when I cont/alt/del to go to task manager, I saw no programs running. But my mouse was still invisible like BigBox was still running. That one required a hard restart.

Im quite sure it is Attract mode causing my crashes... I have also had the same weird problems like you have including the hidden bloody mouse pointer which is very frustrating.  From the test i did last night it lasted a long time when I only allowed Attract mode for one system, and after 5 minutes AND 40 seconds a clip instead of 10. 

I read a report about how hibernation in general on PC's cause quadruple ram usage calls. I use Hibernate, however its always been freshly rebooted before doing any tests.  Keen to hear what comes back from the log i posted. Saw Something called Coinops which seems to be punching at the moment, but i have bigbox just where i want it right now, ALOT of r+d has gone into this

Edited by floodie

• 4 months later...

I tried for months to figure this out myself and finally figured out it was a random video file during attract mode that was causing it to crash. It didn't matter if I used VLC or WMP. I happened to get lucky and was looking at the screen when it crashed. I'd start by narrowing attract mode down to one system and see if it still happens. If it doesn't, go on to another system and repeat until it does crash. 

1 hour ago, blurt92 said:

figured out it was a random video file

Did the 'random' file have any peculiarities about it compared to other video files?   Size/aspect/file_type/....  Or was it truly random in that it varied by different videos?  If it was a specific video file, could it have been one that people are getting from EmuMovies that we should be aware of?

2 hours ago, blurt92 said:

I tried for months to figure this out myself and finally figured out it was a random video file during attract mode that was causing it to crash. It didn't matter if I used VLC or WMP. I happened to get lucky and was looking at the screen when it crashed. I'd start by narrowing attract mode down to one system and see if it still happens. If it doesn't, go on to another system and repeat until it does crash. 

I have been suspecting this for a while. I wish there was some way to prove it on my end. And there is no way I can go through all my files to determine which games have bad videos... there are too many that were automatically downloaded to go through.