LaunchBox Community Forums

Daphne Dragon's lair

Bellozanne

Good evening team.

I am going to have to bite the bullet and ask for help..

1st-lee Apologies if this has been done to death already !

I have followed a few tutorials and have managed to get Daphne up and running (Thanks ETA PRIME!!)

but I  cannot get Dragons lair etc to work

I have it all running on HS and wondered if there is a tutorial or work-around to "migrate" the remaining games over.

Any advice or pointers to threads or tutorials would be greatfully appreciated

Many thanks in advance

B.

In the links below this video you can download a .bat file you just need to edit that to point to you game txt file

mine looks like this

Daphne.exe %1 vldp -fullscreen -x 640 -y 480 -framefile "H:\Launchbox\Daphne\Daphne\%1\%1.txt"

then run the .bat file as the emulator

Edited by Plastron

1 hour ago, Plastron said:

In the links below this video you can download a .bat file you just need to edit that to point to you game txt file

mine looks like this

Daphne.exe %1 vldp -fullscreen -x 640 -y 480 -framefile "H:\Launchbox\Daphne\Daphne\%1\%1.txt"

then run the .bat file as the emulator

be sure to add 'Start' at the beginning of the line or the command prompt window will retain focus on top of whatever game you are loading... atleast for daphne singe. I use RL for regular daphne for the bezels

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much chaps!

Still struggling with Dragon's lair but will soldier on!!

I'm probably overlooking something simple

I have followed the above tutorial step by step but keep gettin Princess Daphne screaming "Save me!!"

any other thoughts would be most welcome

B.

On 5/16/2020 at 5:41 PM, Bellozanne said:

Thanks very much chaps!

Still struggling with Dragon's lair but will soldier on!!

I'm probably overlooking something simple

I have followed the above tutorial step by step but keep gettin Princess Daphne screaming "Save me!!"

any other thoughts would be most welcome

B.

After you get the error, look for the file daphne_log.txt in your Daphne directory

It should provide greater detail on what went wrong

Hi MCF

Thanks for your help

I will look in to the Daphne_log.txt to see if I can figure out what's happening.

It's frustrating as this 1% is holding me ransom to HS lol

Dragon's lair is one of my all time fave games (even though I'm crap at it)

If I get this sorted I can drop HS and plough on with LB/BB

If I cannot work out what's happening.

Can I post the log details for more help?

Very much appreciated

B.

@Bellozanne There have been some prior threads on getting Daphne working. In most cases it is a mix up of how the files are called. This large thread has lots of info.  Generally speaking, Daphne needs to know what game name, a text file indicating how the video files (VLDPs) are arranged (i.e., framefile), and a set of option flags telling Daphne how to run.  The full gory example if called from a command line is below.

Some people use batch files to simplify the calling of the options but you don't have to do that as long as those three pieces are called from LB somehow.  Also, you have to adapt your setup paths accordingly which is why some instructions may vary from your particular install (i.e., where are your video files located). 

So here is my example for DL and the pointer/batch files I use.  That coupled with the thread linked above should get you pointed in right direction. 

Game Entry:  Frame file called from LB which acts as the dummy "rom". The name of text file used has to be consistent for all parts and folder naming. I have attached that framefile to this to show you as example. Note that the framefile contents can be different for your setup so don't worry if that is case. Ultimately, it has to match all the M2V files in your VLDP folder.

1071208638_Capture3.thumb.PNG.5b15fa64a9d18f05ff79c30e52dbaab8.PNG

So here is the "emulator" which is actually calling the batch file (attached below) which based on the name of the framefile above (i.e., lair.txt but only uses the "lair" part with no extension) matches the appropriate options in the batch file and then launches the actual Daphne EXE file in the last line of the batch file. 

Capture.thumb.PNG.d4a6303c92b8422d7c0a7c8ae2d53928.PNG

Important:  for the batch file attached, all of the entries do not need to be changed EXCEPT the very last line of the batch file which is snipped below. That you must adapt to match your folder structure for your games. So you would need to change the path to home directory to where your Daphne EXE is located. You will also need to update the path to reflect where your VLDP and framefiles are located (right after -framefile command)  The %1 in each point just tells LB to insert the "lair" name from the "lair.txt" file called in screenshot 1.  It does the same for any other game and hence why you have to have consistent naming of files or things will crunch. 

daphne.exe %1 vldp -framefile G:\Emulators\Daphne\roms\vldp\%1\%1.txt -blend -ignore_aspect_ratio -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir G:\Emulators\Daphne -fastboot%bank% -nocrc -fullscreen -noissues -noserversend -sound_buffer 2048 -x 1680 -y 1050 -useoverlaysb 1

So what this tells LB once the batch file takes all the above is it launches this (note where "lair" gets inserted):

daphne.exe lair vldp -framefile G:\Emulators\Daphne\roms\vldp\lair\lair.txt -blend -ignore_aspect_ratio -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir G:\Emulators\Daphne -fastboot%bank% -nocrc -fullscreen -noissues -noserversend -sound_buffer 2048 -x 1680 -y 1050 -useoverlaysb 1

So folder structure and file naming are key and 99% of time that is the problem and almost always it is due to framefile or VLDP naming problem.  As MCF noted above, the daphne_log.txt file located in the root of the Daphne directory is your friend. If it cannot find a file at launch (even if launched through LB), it will say so in the log to give clue how to modify your folder structure or if a naming problem with a file.   A working Daphne log for DL is also attached so you can what it looks like when all is well.

Then lastly make sure your platform is named the same within LB:

626227042_Capture2.thumb.PNG.43f53dd1446a9615bf7d55d7f39dc44d.PNG

Here is what my framefiles directory looks like:

1464669996_Capture44.PNG.3636dff112b6e26ecea3debce8d1480f.PNG

This is my VLDP folder for DL. Note that the M2V files must all be referenced in the framefile text file. 

Capture55.PNG.57e8c63c99ffc94243c14129c0e0329e.PNG

daphnebatch.bat daphne_log.txt lair.txt

Edited by sundogak
  • Thanks 2

• 2 years later...

Anyone know how to get the DLE2 to work thru launchbox? I have it selected as the one to load in the daphne emulator and it works fine when I load it thru the emulator alone. But when i launch thru launchbox it plays the old one and not the DLE2 version.

2 hours ago, DarthWHAT said:

Anyone know how to get the DLE2 to work thru launchbox? I have it selected as the one to load in the daphne emulator and it works fine when I load it thru the emulator alone. But when i launch thru launchbox it plays the old one and not the DLE2 version.

The Daphne emulator is command line input.  So I assume when you say "load in Daphne emulator" you are really speaking about the Daphne Loader.  The Daphne Loader is just that, a front end to create a command string that then runs in background and points to the Daphne.exe.  That the game runs via the loader means you have all the files needed.  However, if running wrong file in LB it then means your command or batch file used in LB isn't correct.  What you set/do in the Daphne Loader does not make corresponding updates to anything LB sees. 

However, you can use the loader to help troubleshoot what the command line/batch file should look like and adapt accordingly in LB.  To do that you can open up the Daphne Loader and click on the Configure Button.  Then Advanced, and change the drop down box "Display Command Line" to "Enabled".  Then select the game you want and start.  Before it runs, it will pop up the command line the Daphne Loader is using to run the game to help you generate the appropriate string within LB (or to add to your batch file).  

Capture2.thumb.PNG.480266adc52baffd0669ef31035c9e28.PNGCapture.thumb.PNG.f7a2706bc54c460747bf59c1bbeb6089.PNG

Edited by sundogak

13 hours ago, sundogak said:

The Daphne emulator is command line input.  So I assume when you say "load in Daphne emulator" you are really speaking about the Daphne Loader.  The Daphne Loader is just that, a front end to create a command string that then runs in background and points to the Daphne.exe.  That the game runs via the loader means you have all the files needed.  However, if running wrong file in LB it then means your command or batch file used in LB isn't correct.  What you set/do in the Daphne Loader does not make corresponding updates to anything LB sees. 

However, you can use the loader to help troubleshoot what the command line/batch file should look like and adapt accordingly in LB.  To do that you can open up the Daphne Loader and click on the Configure Button.  Then Advanced, and change the drop down box "Display Command Line" to "Enabled".  Then select the game you want and start.  Before it runs, it will pop up the command line the Daphne Loader is using to run the game to help you generate the appropriate string within LB (or to add to your batch file).  

Capture2.thumb.PNG.480266adc52baffd0669ef31035c9e28.PNGCapture.thumb.PNG.f7a2706bc54c460747bf59c1bbeb6089.PNG

Hi thank you for the help! I did all that with Daphne and copied the command line. I put the command for the game in LB here. (assuming this is where it goes)

1.thumb.png.626ef362b7fc3bcff8d655e31208209d.png

And then I go to launch via LB and get this, any ideas?

2.png.c422fa2004d6e2c830f786c6f917dbca.png

@DarthWHATYour command isn't correct relative to what LB is passing to Daphne, so gagging.  Look at your Daphne log it indicates for clues.  For most setups, you are not going to be able to put that string direct into custom command line in LB.

You don't show the Daphne emulator settings/details along with what the command is in the "Launching" entry, so hard to tell.  But when you use a custom command line, then LB sends that command PLUS whatever settings you have in your Daphne emulator setup and in the Launching line (the pointer to the "ROM" file).  So, if your Daphne emulator was setup to point to a batch file then LB is still sending that plus trying to jam the custom command line so Daphne.exe is seeing gibberish. 

So, look your emulator setup. Look at what the game is pointing to for ROM as start point.  

Edit: also looking at that command line looks like the "normal" DL and not the enhanced at least as far as what I have seen for VLDP naming for enhanced files (but no standard either).  You could double check by opening a DOS command window and going to your Daphne.exe folder and pasting in that command line and seeing if it launches what you want.  

Edited by sundogak

23 minutes ago, sundogak said:

@DarthWHATYour command isn't correct relative to what LB is passing to Daphne, so gagging.  Look at your Daphne log it indicates for clues.  For most setups, you are not going to be able to put that string direct into custom command line in LB.

You don't show the Daphne emulator settings/details along with what the command is in the "Launching" entry, so hard to tell.  But when you use a custom command line, then LB sends that command PLUS whatever settings you have in your Daphne emulator setup and in the Launching line (the pointer to the "ROM" file).  So, if your Daphne emulator was setup to point to a batch file then LB is still sending that plus trying to jam the custom command line so Daphne.exe is seeing gibberish. 

So, look your emulator setup. Look at what the game is pointing to for ROM as start point.  

Thank you again! I got it figured out. First I removed the daphne.exe from the command line and I also didn't have the dle21 folder in the vldp as the log mentioned that. All square now, really appreciate you help!

1 minute ago, DarthWHAT said:

Thank you again! I got it figured out. First I removed the daphne.exe from the command line and I also didn't have the dle21 folder in the vldp as the log mentioned that. All square now, really appreciate you help!

Daphne is a bit of dark art with the ROMs/Video files, etc, so glad you got it squared. 

1 minute ago, sundogak said:

Daphne is a bit of dark art with the ROMs/Video files, etc, so glad you got it squared. 

yeah your telling me lol been years since Ive tried to get Daphne working, I've just been dabbling with other versions of the games lile steam etc.. But Im glad I got it working now. Thanks again!

• 3 months later...

Somewhat old but in case someone comes along this
You do not need to use a bat file
Do not add the ROMs like a normal emulator

Add a game manually
point it to daphne.exe (or singe.exe depending on game)

in the command line parameters just put in the appropriate daphne launch args for the game

Lets take freedom fighter for an example
We use singe.exe, and for the command line
singe vldp -opengl -x 2560 -y 1440 -fullscreen_window -noserversend -volume_vldp 64 -volume_nonvldp 32 -sound_buffer 2048 -framefile .\framefile\freedomfighter\ff.txt -script .\singe\freedomfighter\setupgame_mouse.singe

If you already added as a ROM, just edit that selections meta data
Click emulation and uncheck that it is emulated
Then click Launch and show it where singe or daphne.exe is
then put the correct launch args in the command line box

Now no batfiles need be used.

If you use the steam launcher plugin, now you will get the steam overlay in game, as well as steam showing what you are playing
Make sure to edit the below to reflect your resolution unless it happens to be 2560 X 1440 (game is still 4.3, but the score display is rendered at proper resolution)

Dragons Lair args
lair vldp -framefile .\framefile\lair\lair.txt -scanlines -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir C:\EMULATION\Daphne -useoverlaysb 2 -fastboot -bank 0 10011001 -bank 1 01000111 -latency 50 -noissues -noserversend -sound_buffer 2048 -fullscreen -x 2560 -y 1440 -opengl 

Dragon's Lair Enhanced
dle21 vldp -framefile .\framefile\lair\lair.txt -scanlines -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir C:\EMULATION\Daphne -useoverlaysb 2 -bank 0 10011000 -bank 1 01010111 -latency 50 -noissues -noserversend -sound_buffer 2048 -fullscreen -x 2560 -y 1440 -opengl -fastboot

Dragon's Lair 2
lair2 vldp -framefile .\framefile\lair2\lair2.txt -scanlines -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir C:\EMULATION\Daphne -latency 25 -noserversend -sound_buffer 2048 -fullscreen -x 2560 -y 1440

Space Ace
ace vldp -framefile C:\EMULATION\Daphne\framefile\ace\ace.txt -scanlines -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir C:\EMULATION\Daphne -useoverlaysb 2 -enable_leds -fastboot -bank 0 00000010 -bank 1 00000001 -latency 25 -noserversend -sound_buffer 2048 -fullscreen -x 2560 -y 1440 -opengl 

Space Ace Enhanced
sae vldp -framefile C:\EMULATION\Daphne\framefile\ace\ace.txt -scanlines -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir C:\EMULATION\Daphne -useoverlaysb 2 -enable_leds -bank 0 10011000 -bank 1 01100111 -latency 25 -noserversend -sound_buffer 2048 -fullscreen -x 2560 -y 1440 -opengl 

Freedom Fighter (uses Singe.exe)
singe vldp -opengl -x 2560 -y 1440 -fullscreen_window -noserversend -volume_vldp 64 -volume_nonvldp 32 -sound_buffer 2048 -framefile .\framefile\freedomfighter\ff.txt -script .\singe\freedomfighter\setupgame_mouse.singe

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Ninjaman said:

i have set up the emulator and the bat file 

i download the roms and but they dont work well for some strange reson i dont know why need help with daphne thanks

Daphne.exe %1 vldp -fullscreen -x 640 -y 480 -framefile "C:\Users\My Name\Desktop\LaunchBox Premium with Big Box 13.5 (x64) Multilingual\Emulator\Daphne\%1\%1.txt"

Your paths (or file naming) are not correct either in your Daphne folder, your launch command for the game, or your framefile for the game.  The error shows this in that it cannot find the rom files.  It is looking for ROMs in ..Daphne\roms\ace\ace.zip and ..Daphne\roms\ace.zip 

If you look at the daphne_log.txt file it notes in the error, that also gives useful clues.  Paths and file naming are usually the issue when getting a setup for Daphne because all the parts have to match the folder structure and naming that the original user had or you have to modify. Make sure your rom names are what you are passing with the %1 variable (i.e., ace = looking for ace.zip).  The %1 variable LB will pass to the batch will be the name in the blue circle on the right when you open up the game edit details page and click Launching.  You show a screenshot of the emulator setup but not the details for specific game so hard to say but a shot of mine is below to give example. Check your names/folder structure based on what you have.

image.thumb.png.be3a59ac73cc3c75b9c256e571843946.png

You are hard coding the path to the framefile via this command:  "C:\Users\My Name\Desktop\LaunchBox Premium with Big Box 13.5 (x64) Multilingual\".  Optionally, you can set a home directory and make all other things relative in the command line.  Plus seems odd it would be on your desktop but okay as long as all the pieces Daphne wants are there.  

Daphne.exe %1 vldp -fullscreen -x 640 -y 480 -framefile ..\%1\%1.txt -homedir C:\YOURPATH TO DAPHNE FOLDER\Daphne

Lastly, your framefile needs to have the correct pathing as well to the VLDP.  This example tells Daphne to look for the VLDP movie files in the ..Daphne\vldp\ace  directory.  Sometimes people get setups where these have been changed or don't match your folder setup.  So another thing to verify.  

image.png.33d1d352b900a61490dd0d4bda0a1167.png