LaunchBox Community Forums

Daphne Dragon's lair

Good evening team.

I am going to have to bite the bullet and ask for help..

1st-lee Apologies if this has been done to death already !

I have followed a few tutorials and have managed to get Daphne up and running (Thanks ETA PRIME!!)

but I  cannot get Dragons lair etc to work

I have it all running on HS and wondered if there is a tutorial or work-around to "migrate" the remaining games over.

Any advice or pointers to threads or tutorials would be greatfully appreciated

Many thanks in advance

B.

In the links below this video you can download a .bat file you just need to edit that to point to you game txt file

mine looks like this

Daphne.exe %1 vldp -fullscreen -x 640 -y 480 -framefile "H:\Launchbox\Daphne\Daphne\%1\%1.txt"

then run the .bat file as the emulator

Edited by Plastron
1 hour ago, Plastron said:

In the links below this video you can download a .bat file you just need to edit that to point to you game txt file

mine looks like this

Daphne.exe %1 vldp -fullscreen -x 640 -y 480 -framefile "H:\Launchbox\Daphne\Daphne\%1\%1.txt"

then run the .bat file as the emulator

be sure to add 'Start' at the beginning of the line or the command prompt window will retain focus on top of whatever game you are loading... atleast for daphne singe. I use RL for regular daphne for the bezels

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much chaps!

Still struggling with Dragon's lair but will soldier on!!

I'm probably overlooking something simple

I have followed the above tutorial step by step but keep gettin Princess Daphne screaming "Save me!!"

any other thoughts would be most welcome

B.

On 5/16/2020 at 5:41 PM, Bellozanne said:

Thanks very much chaps!

Still struggling with Dragon's lair but will soldier on!!

I'm probably overlooking something simple

I have followed the above tutorial step by step but keep gettin Princess Daphne screaming "Save me!!"

any other thoughts would be most welcome

B.

After you get the error, look for the file daphne_log.txt in your Daphne directory

It should provide greater detail on what went wrong

Hi MCF

Thanks for your help

I will look in to the Daphne_log.txt to see if I can figure out what's happening.

It's frustrating as this 1% is holding me ransom to HS lol

Dragon's lair is one of my all time fave games (even though I'm crap at it)

If I get this sorted I can drop HS and plough on with LB/BB

If I cannot work out what's happening.

Can I post the log details for more help?

Very much appreciated

B.

@Bellozanne There have been some prior threads on getting Daphne working. In most cases it is a mix up of how the files are called. This large thread has lots of info.  Generally speaking, Daphne needs to know what game name, a text file indicating how the video files (VLDPs) are arranged (i.e., framefile), and a set of option flags telling Daphne how to run.  The full gory example if called from a command line is below.

Some people use batch files to simplify the calling of the options but you don't have to do that as long as those three pieces are called from LB somehow.  Also, you have to adapt your setup paths accordingly which is why some instructions may vary from your particular install (i.e., where are your video files located). 

So here is my example for DL and the pointer/batch files I use.  That coupled with the thread linked above should get you pointed in right direction. 

Game Entry:  Frame file called from LB which acts as the dummy "rom". The name of text file used has to be consistent for all parts and folder naming. I have attached that framefile to this to show you as example. Note that the framefile contents can be different for your setup so don't worry if that is case. Ultimately, it has to match all the M2V files in your VLDP folder.

1071208638_Capture3.thumb.PNG.5b15fa64a9d18f05ff79c30e52dbaab8.PNGSo here is the "emulator" which is actually calling the batch file (attached below) which based on the name of the framefile above (i.e., lair.txt but only uses the "lair" part with no extension) matches the appropriate options in the batch file and then launches the actual Daphne EXE file in the last line of the batch file. 

Capture.thumb.PNG.d4a6303c92b8422d7c0a7c8ae2d53928.PNGImportant:  for the batch file attached, all of the entries do not need to be changed EXCEPT the very last line of the batch file which is snipped below. That you must adapt to match your folder structure for your games. So you would need to change the path to home directory to where your Daphne EXE is located. You will also need to update the path to reflect where your VLDP and framefiles are located (right after -framefile command)  The %1 in each point just tells LB to insert the "lair" name from the "lair.txt" file called in screenshot 1.  It does the same for any other game and hence why you have to have consistent naming of files or things will crunch. 

daphne.exe %1 vldp -framefile G:\Emulators\Daphne\roms\vldp\%1\%1.txt -blend -ignore_aspect_ratio -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir G:\Emulators\Daphne -fastboot%bank% -nocrc -fullscreen -noissues -noserversend -sound_buffer 2048 -x 1680 -y 1050 -useoverlaysb 1

So what this tells LB once the batch file takes all the above is it launches this (note where "lair" gets inserted):

daphne.exe lair vldp -framefile G:\Emulators\Daphne\roms\vldp\lair\lair.txt -blend -ignore_aspect_ratio -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir G:\Emulators\Daphne -fastboot%bank% -nocrc -fullscreen -noissues -noserversend -sound_buffer 2048 -x 1680 -y 1050 -useoverlaysb 1

So folder structure and file naming are key and 99% of time that is the problem and almost always it is due to framefile or VLDP naming problem.  As MCF noted above, the daphne_log.txt file located in the root of the Daphne directory is your friend. If it cannot find a file at launch (even if launched through LB), it will say so in the log to give clue how to modify your folder structure or if a naming problem with a file.   A working Daphne log for DL is also attached so you can what it looks like when all is well.

Then lastly make sure your platform is named the same within LB:

626227042_Capture2.thumb.PNG.43f53dd1446a9615bf7d55d7f39dc44d.PNG

Here is what my framefiles directory looks like:

1464669996_Capture44.PNG.3636dff112b6e26ecea3debce8d1480f.PNGThis is my VLDP folder for DL. Note that the M2V files must all be referenced in the framefile text file. 

Capture55.PNG.57e8c63c99ffc94243c14129c0e0329e.PNG

daphnebatch.bat daphne_log.txt lair.txt

Edited by sundogak