LaunchBox Community Forums

2020 update: BEST/FAVORITE PC Games (modern) to play in Arcade cabinet with sticks controllers

CORVAX

Hi group, 

I have recently migrated the frontend of my arcade machine from Hyperspin to the Launchbox / BigBox / Retroarch triad. Now,  I am choosing very well which platforms/games / ROMs to upload to my new system and prioritizing QUALITY and personal taste, instead of quantity (I don't want to have 20,000 games as before and not get to play at 1%)

With this objective, to looking for modern games,  and to refloat previous threads of this forum and other Google channels that I have been reading, I would like to create this new thread to serve as a list and repository where to add modern games for the Windows PC platform (and steam, epic, etc. .)

In principle, I promise to keep this list updated with your contributions and provided that they meet each of these requirements:

- 100% compatible with arcade machine gameplay experience (cockpit, CPU stick panel, bartops, etc.)
- These games must be mappable using software tools: x360ce, joytokey, AutoHotkey, etc.
- Indicate for each game if it is 1 player / 2 player coop (or more)
- Indicate any other info of the game that you think is appropriate to mention for its usefulness (example: you need to use more than 6 buttons, ...)

Above all, the MOST IMPORTANT thing is that the games allows great gameplay in an arcade machine/cabinet and a good experience.

All your contributions, comments and constructive critics will are welcome. Thanks for your time ?

9H4Mdg.gif

?️ LIST OF BEST / FAVORITE MODERN GAMES TO PLAY ON ARCADE MACHINE WITH JOYSTICK CONTROLLERS  ?️
? Update date:    08/31/2020    (sorted by insertion date)
? Abbreviations: 1P/2P/2P+ (num. players) - AHK (autohotkey) - UCR/x360ce/WoJ/JoyToKey (mappers)
?‍♂️ Friends contributing: @twobucks

• Broforce - 2P+ - x360ce
  • Cuphead - 2P - x360ce/JoyToKey
  • Streets of Rage 4 - 2P+
  • Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 - 2P - WoJ
  • Slice, Dice & Rice - 2P - WoJ
  • Dragon Ball FigherZ - 2P - x360ce
  • Sine Mora - 1P - WoJ
  • Bionic command Rearmed (keyboard mapping 1 player)
  • BluzBlue Centralfiction (UCR 2 player)
  • Castle Crashers (UCR 2player)
  • Crazy Taxi 3 (keyboard mapping 1 player)
  • Crimzon Clover World Ignition (keyboard mapping 2 player coop)
  • DariusBurst Chronical saviours (UCR 2 player coop)
  • Duck Game (keyboard mapping 2 player)
  • Fight N Rage (keyboard mapping 2 player)
  • Guns Gore & Cannoli (keybaord mapping 2 player)
  • Horizon Chase Turbo (2 player IPAC buttom remap on startup) 
  • House of the Dead 3 (Dual lightguns using demulshooter 2player)
  • Killer Instinct (2 player IPAC button remap on startup)
  • Mortal Kombat X (UCR 2 player)
  • Nidhogg (keyboard mapping 2 player)
  • Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast (keyboard mapping 1 player)
  • Pac man 256 (2 player IPAC button remap on statup)
  • Race the sun (keyboard mapping 1 player)
  • Rayman Origins (keyboard mapping 2 player)
  • Refender (keyboard mapping 1 player)
  • Road Rash (keyboard mapping 1 player)
  • Skullgirls 2nd encore (UCR 2 player)
  • Street fighter V (UCR and x360ce 2 player)
  • The TakeOver (IPAC reconfigure and UCR 2player)
  • Tekken 7 (IPAC reconfigure and UCR 2 player)
  • Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 (trackball and AHK script 2+ player)
  • Castle of illusion Mickey Mouse - 1P - x360ce - (great game for kids)

Edited by CORVAX
  • Like 2

hi @angryherbalist the list is in the same post:

?️ LIST OF BEST / FAVORITE MODERN GAMES TO PLAY ON ARCADE MACHINE WITH JOYSTICK CONTROLLERS  ?️
 ? Update date: 08/18/2020 _v1_ (sorted by insertion date)

• Broforce - 2P+
  • Cuphead - 2P
  • Streets of Rage 4 - 2P+
  • Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 - 2P
  • Slice, Dice & Rice - 2P
  • Dragon Ball FigherZ - 2P
  • Sine Mora - 1P

Im lookinf for suggestions to grow this list among the contributions of the users of this forum. At the moment I have only included the games that I have tested myself, and as I receive your input, I have committed to keeping this list as up-to-date as possible.

Greetings and I look forward to your contributions friend ?

ok. i'll send you my list when i get back.  a suggestion is to link in this: https://gitlab.com/SchwingSK/Keyboard2Xinput

This utility has been a game changer for me. no more screwing with x360ce and joy2key or ipac toggling.  i have my ipac set as keyboard only, then i enable/disable this utility with an AHK script in launchbox.  it maps all of my controller buttons to the same exact virtual joystick for all steam games, but you can create game-specific ones too!

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2020 at 12:27 PM, angryherbalist said:

ok. i'll send you my list when i get back.  a suggestion is to link in this: https://gitlab.com/SchwingSK/Keyboard2Xinput

This utility has been a game changer for me. no more screwing with x360ce and joy2key or ipac toggling.  i have my ipac set as keyboard only, then i enable/disable this utility with an AHK script in launchbox.  it maps all of my controller buttons to the same exact virtual joystick for all steam games, but you can create game-specific ones too!

Just wondering if you have found any games that do not work using Keyboard2Xinput?  I have been using UCR for a couple years but i have found it to not work sometimes, or some games will work at launch but then have issues during gameplay! This program looks like a much better solution then UCR and Vjoy

Anyways this is the list of PC games i have on my arcade cabinet minus the ones you already listed above using either keyboard mapping in game, UCR, or X360ce. 

Bionic command Rearmed (keyboard mapping 1 player)

BluzBlue Centralfiction (UCR 2 player)

Castle Crashers (UCR 2player)

Crazy Taxi 3 (keyboard mapping 1 player)

Crimzon Clover World Ignition (keyboard mapping 2 player coop)

DariusBurst Chronical saviours (UCR 2 player coop)

Duck Game (keyboard mapping 2 player)

Fight N Rage (keyboard mapping 2 player)

Guns Gore & Cannoli (keybaord mapping 2 player)

Horizon Chase Turbo (2 player IPAC buttom remap on startup) 

House of the Dead 3 (Dual lightguns using demulshooter 2player)

Killer Instinct (2 player IPAC button remap on startup)

Mortal Kombat X (UCR 2 player)

Nidhogg (keyboard mapping 2 player)

Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast (keyboard mapping 1 player)

pac man 256 (2 player IPAC button remap on statup)

race the sun (keyboard mapping 1 player)

Rayman Origins (keyboard mapping 2 player)

Refender (keyboard mapping 1 player)

Road Rash (keyboard mapping 1 player)

skullgirls 2nd encore (UCR 2 player)

street fighter V (UCR and x360ce 2 player)

The TakeOver (IPAC reconfigure and UCR 2player)

Tekken 7 (IPAC reconfigure and UCR 2 player)

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 (trackball and AHK script 2+ player)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2020 at 10:11 PM, SteveT79 said:

Anyone get House of the Dead III working that isn't a Windows iso that has an annoying splashscreen?

Look for an exe on the rocketlauncher forums called HotD_3_Autostart.zip. This will automatically click ok on the splashscreen during startup and get you right into the game. I used this and it works great.  

2 hours ago, twobucks said:

Look for an exe on the rocketlauncher forums called HotD_3_Autostart.zip. This will automatically click ok on the splashscreen during startup and get you right into the game. I used this and it works great.  

Searching using the filename didn't work for me, here is the link.

Over at the Demulshooter web site, he has a simple AHK to launch hotd3 directly and avoid the launcher all together as well.

Edited by Headrush69

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Any chance of updating this post ?  Or maybe there's another running list somewhere else?  Someone should be keeping a running list that's always being added to (edit:actually looks like this is on the steam page fairly high up).  I'd like to 2nd downwell, that game should play very nicely.  Also Dead Cells, Nidhogg 2, Whoa Dave, Annalynn, Super House of Dead Ninjas, Pac-Man Championship DX+, Pac-Man Championship Edition 2, Shovel Knight, and Cyber Shadow.  I haven't personally tested all of these, but they have relatively simple controls and should work... will test soon.

Edited by Eviljubs
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...