LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox keeps crashing when editing metadata

jonnieboyrevel

20 hours ago, Zardoz said:

Resurrecting to bring attention that this still appears to be an issue in latest version, 11.9. I've been trying to figure this one out for a while, lb was crashing after every single edit. Low utilization, but hangs and crashes as others in this thread experienced. Very glad to have found the workaround in this thread, turned off videos in game details (I have videos for almost all of my modest ~600 collection) and it immediately stopped the crashes. So that's great! I haven't noticed any memory leak issues after testing with videos on and off in details.

Would be cool to get videos back outside of big box, but it's better than crashes. Thanks!

This isn't a thing that seems to be typical, judging by our feedback here on the forums. Still, it's good to know that it was causing the issue for you. What video playback engine were you using in LaunchBox?

• 6 months later...
On 9/25/2021 at 12:37 PM, Thornback said:

Another bump..

Experiencing the same issue as previous posters. Would love to keep videos enabled and wondering if any progress had been made towards finding a solution?

We're still waiting on details on exactly what is happening, as we've never seen it or been able to replicate it. What video playback engine are you using when you experience the crashing? Does it happen with both video playback engines?

On 9/29/2021 at 9:17 PM, Jason Carr said:

We're still waiting on details on exactly what is happening, as we've never seen it or been able to replicate it. What video playback engine are you using when you experience the crashing? Does it happen with both video playback engines?

Have only ever used VLC as not a fan of the alternative :)

7 hours ago, Thornback said:

Have only ever used VLC as not a fan of the alternative :)

I have been experiencing this issue for a long while now....I have been using it with videos enabled lately (since about 11.13) by switching it to WMP as video playback. If you edit the titles in audit mode it wont crash as well, I havent had a crash since i switched the video playback app to WMP. I know this isnt a true fix to the issue as wmp wont play some file types. All my gameplay videos are mp4 so using WMP isnt a issue for me for now. I added VLC as a emu and use it as i see fit for things that truly need vlc. Ive been revising my collection for maybe 2 months solid, not a single metadata edit crash since the switch to WMP from VLC. Means the issue is likely coming from VLC, or something to do with how its being used within launchbox. A while back when i first commented on this switching to WMP did nothing, it would still crash. Sometime during 11.1X updates something was changed or fixed, switching to WMP playback now stops the hang (crash). Hope this helps, I know i was getting pretty frustrated when it was crashing on me every 5 edits. Its a decent temp fix until they figure out whats really going on one day.

Edited by KingSlayer937
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hey everyone.

Sorry to bring this old topic up again, but I also have had the very same issue for quite some time and every advice given - even the latest turning WMP on - didn't do any good. Even more so, I still get crashes using both VLC and WMP during editing no matter which way I go about being it the regular edit screen from LB main screen or the audit screen... every 4-6 games I get the hang after clicking the OK button and LB forces me to close the whole app. Very frustrating indeed. This happens on the latest version of LB 12.6

Don't really know what to do about it. Thought I might give it a go here since you guys seem to be having the exact same issue going on.