LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox keeps crashing when editing metadata

jonnieboyrevel

3 hours ago, jonnieboyrevel said:

Well, I've replaced both the hard drives in the system and replaced the ram but LB still crashes when updating metadata...

It's very odd, I can play games in both LB and BB without issue and I haven't had any issues with anything else on the computer.

The logs and data seem ok (thanks @Jason Carr for confirming) then I'm at a loss to know where to look...

Well, I can add an in-place Windows re-install to the list of things I've tried but still no joy...

Can you try removing your plugins? That's my only other thought at this point.

I also have experienced this issue alot lately when im editing games. I noticed if i use the audit menu instead of using launchbox ui to edit i dont get crashes. hopefully this issue gets resolved so i can get back to doing speedy edits.

My pc is brand new, all parts brand new. its not a dying hdd or anything.

Edited by joshchawks

2 minutes ago, joshchawks said:

I also have experienced this issue alot lately when im editing games. I noticed if i use the audit menu instead of using launchbox ui to edit i dont get crashes. hopefully this issue gets resolved so i can get back to doing speedy edits.

My pc is brand new, all parts brand new. its not a dying hdd or anything.

I'll need more details on exactly what is happening in order to help out here. The problem is that often times people think they're having the same issue as someone else, but it ends up being a completely different issue (just like we saw further on up the thread).

6 minutes ago, jonnieboyrevel said:

No joy, it still does it with the plugins removed.

Apart from a completely fresh install I'm completely out of ideas. I need to decide if I can put up with it or whether to brave starting from scratch...

I would say that your best bet would be to keep your current install, and just install another copy into a different folder. That way you can test if you get the same issues with a new install. If you do, then we know that your install isn't the problem. If you don't, then we know that the issue is somehow with your LaunchBox configuration, data, or media (and you don't have to throw away your setup in the mean time). I can help you narrow it down further at that point.

11 minutes ago, jonnieboyrevel said:

No joy, it still does it with the plugins removed.

Apart from a completely fresh install I'm completely out of ideas. I need to decide if I can put up with it or whether to brave starting from scratch...

If you got time, do you mind answering a few questions so i can try to help get to the bottom of this? It bothers me alot haha. Ive tested a few things and i kinda narrowed it down just a bit...maybe if we compare setups we can get to the core of the problem. I use custom mp3s for each of my games, or well 98% of them anyway. Do you also use this feature? I noticed a slight lag as im coming out of edit mode if im not in the audit mode...this is established by a progress bar at the top of launchbox. I noticed if i try to right click on the next game im editing too quickly (before that bar finishes) it usually locks up in that manner and says same thing in task manager.

13 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I'll need more details on exactly what is happening in order to help out here. The problem is that often times people think they're having the same issue as someone else, but it ends up being a completely different issue (just like we saw further on up the thread).

I would say that your best bet would be to keep your current install, and just install another copy into a different folder. That way you can test if you get the same issues with a new install. If you do, then we know that your install isn't the problem. If you don't, then we know that the issue is somehow with your LaunchBox configuration, data, or media (and you don't have to throw away your setup in the mean time). I can help you narrow it down further at that point.

I have the exact same issue, my launchbox (not bigbox) locks up as im coming out of edit mode (after clicking OK) and says same things as op in task manager. It forces me to close it. booting back up i get no messages of errors, games play fine. its weird. I usually stay silent for a while because you guys fix problems like this pretty quickly. This has been happening for a few updates now. I can edit "random" number of games sometimes before it does it again, and sometimes its the very next game i edit. It always seems to save the changes properly with no corruption to the xml files. I thought maybe since i have so much going on im opening a "new edit" window too quickly...before it even plays the games custom mp3 track causing it to error in some way and lock up. but again, i dont know for sure, just some things ive noticed while editing the past month or so.

Edited by joshchawks

10 minutes ago, joshchawks said:

I have the exact same issue, my launchbox (not bigbox) locks up as im coming out of edit mode (after clicking OK) and says same things as op in task manager. It forces me to close it. booting back up i get no messages of errors, games play fine. its weird. I usually stay silent for a while because you guys fix problems like this pretty quickly. This has been happening for a few updates now. I can edit "random" number of games sometimes before it does it again, and sometimes its the very next game i edit. It always seems to save the changes properly with no corruption to the xml files. I thought maybe since i have so much going on im opening a "new edit" window too quickly...before it even plays the games custom mp3 track causing it to error in some way and lock up. but again, i dont know for sure, just some things ive noticed while editing the past month or so.

Okay, keep in mind that it might just be taking a bit. It might come back if you give it a few seconds. Just because Windows fades out the screen doesn't mean that LaunchBox is necessarily locked up; more than likely it's just busy and needs a few seconds. We do our best to eliminate those situations where the interface is locked up while doing something, but we haven't eliminated them all, especially on slower hardware (though I have no idea what kind of hardware or how many games you have). How long are you waiting before giving up on it?

I should probably ask these same questions to @jonnieboyrevel as well.

@joshchawks I don't have MP3's at all for my set up, it's over 23000 games and having mp3's was taking up too much space.

That answers one of @Jason Carr questions as well. It's a fairly hefty install 23626 games over 67 platforms. I'm on to the final platform for artwork now (Spectrum), all the other platforms have box, cart, clear logo, game title and gameplay as they are the ones that show up in the Retrotasic theme. I have video snaps for all the ones that are available.

In terms of leaving it to work, I've left it for 1/2 hour on one occasion as I thought it might be me being impatient but it still didn't come back. If I look in Task Manager LB shows no activity for CPU or Hard Disk.

Hardware wise, it's a I5 2500k running at 4.4. 16gb of DDR3 1600. LB is on a 240gb SSD, apart from the videos which are on a 3tb mechanical drive. Gamecube, Wii and some PC games are on a different 1tb SSD.

If there's anything else that's helpful, let me know

I did consider moving the videos to the larger SSD just in case it was them responding slower that was causing the issue. However, they have always been on the mechanical drive and I didn't used to have any problems...

Edited by jonnieboyrevel

7 minutes ago, jonnieboyrevel said:

@joshchawks I don't have MP3's at all for my set up, it's over 23000 games and having mp3's was taking up too much space.

That answers one of @Jason Carr questions as well. It's a fairly hefty install 23626 games over 67 platforms. I'm on to the final platform for artwork now (Spectrum), all the other platforms have box, cart, clear logo, game title and gameplay as they are the ones that show up in the Retrotasic theme. I have video snaps for all the ones that are available.

In terms of leaving it to work, I've left it for 1/2 hour on one occasion as I thought it might be me being impatient but it still didn't come back. If I look in Task Manager LB shows no activity for CPU or Hard Disk.

Hardware wise, it's a I5 2500k running at 4.4. 16gb of DDR3 1600. LB is on a 240gb SSD, apart from the videos which are on a 3tb mechanical drive. Gamecube, Wii and some PC games are on a different 1tb SSD.

Okay, does the window get faded? Do you ever see Windows prompt that it's locked up? Or does it just appear to be sitting there not doing anything forever?

Edit: If you have a screenshot of it in that situation, that would be helpful.

30 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Okay, keep in mind that it might just be taking a bit. It might come back if you give it a few seconds. Just because Windows fades out the screen doesn't mean that LaunchBox is necessarily locked up; more than likely it's just busy and needs a few seconds. We do our best to eliminate those situations where the interface is locked up while doing something, but we haven't eliminated them all, especially on slower hardware (though I have no idea what kind of hardware or how many games you have). How long are you waiting before giving up on it?

I should probably ask these same questions to @jonnieboyrevel as well.

I have given it a considerable amount of time, id say like 20 mins or so it remains in a "faded out" mode like when any other app crashes in win10. It always leads to a "app not respo9nding do you want to report or close it". forcing you to exit it. I am usually only running firefox "for edit info and art and such" and legit nothing else aside from launchbox and some windows folders open. It doesnt just sit there doing nothing, its def crashes and does the windows 10 error report thing. There was (a few updates ago) a point where it would indeed lag for some time and snap back, i always allowed it to do so and it always completed. This one doesnt allow waiting. if you click anywhere on launchbox while its not responding it will fade out telling you to report or close it.

Edited by joshchawks

16 minutes ago, jonnieboyrevel said:

I did consider moving the videos to the larger SSD just in case it was them responding slower that was causing the issue. However, they have always been on the mechanical drive and I didn't used to have any problems...

I also have videos for every game, i have art for all games, i make them myself when they dont exist. I dont have a very large setup tho i only add games i actually want to play. This is around 2000 all platforms. I also let mine sit for like 30 mins and same result. Not seeing anything that stands out judging from our setups. I use retrolusts arcade theme usually, it was causing lockups for me for some reason out of nowhere so i now use default lb theme. Do you edit your games really fast like i do?

Hardware wise i have all brand new equipment, build this pc myself. Ryzen 3700x 4.3mhz, 32gb ram, my entire launchbox and all media reside on a teamforce rgb 256GB ssd.

Edited by joshchawks

It does sound like @joshchawks is doing the same thing (of course it could be something completely different). That's how mine behaves, I click the save button in the edit screen, it goes back to the LB interface but is stuck like this

frozen.thumb.jpg.ed9632b6714a387f084342af301837e1.jpgIf I try and click on anything or press a keyboard button, I get this

prompt.thumb.jpg.169cd172db7b4ed15067e279a29e1932.jpgIf I select wait, I it stays on the same screen until I press a mouse button or keyboard key and then I get the prompt again.

I do edit art fairly quickly, I'm also creating missing artwork in PS for games without a full set (a lot for the more obscure systems).

Edited by jonnieboyrevel

4 minutes ago, jonnieboyrevel said:

It does sound like @joshchawks is doing the same thing. That's how mine behaves, I click the save button in the edit screen, it goes back to the LB interface but is stuck like this

frozen.thumb.jpg.ed9632b6714a387f084342af301837e1.jpgIf I try and click on anything or press a keyboard button, I get this

prompt.thumb.jpg.169cd172db7b4ed15067e279a29e1932.jpgIf I select wait, I it stays on the same screen until I press a mouse button or keyboard key and then I get the prompt again.

man exactly what i get. Using the audit page stops the crashes, i would use that until we figure this out. has to be something after we click ok. I worry everytime it crashes that its corrupting 6 months of work

Edited by joshchawks

Okay, so we are dealing with actual crashes here it looks like. If you both would, please open up Event Viewer in Windows. Then open up Windows Logs, then Application on the left. You should see at least one error related to the crash, and there may be more than one for each crash. If you can copy and paste the error text here for any that you have, that might help to figure out exactly what's happening. We'll work through this as best we can and get it figured out. :)

14 minutes ago, joshchawks said:

man exactly what i get. Using the audit page stops the crashes, i would use that until we figure this out. has to be something after we click ok. I worry everytime it crashes that its corrupting 6 months of work

Keep in mind that data backups are automatically taken both when you start up and shut down LaunchBox, so it's pretty much impossible for you to lose all your work, thankfully (outside of hard drive failure). You can always take manual backups of your Data folder too if it gives you some peace of mind.

14 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Okay, so we are dealing with actual crashes here it looks like. If you both would, please open up Event Viewer in Windows. Then open up Windows Logs, then Application on the left. You should see at least one error related to the crash, and there may be more than one for each crash. If you can copy and paste the error text here for any that you have, that might help to figure out exactly what's happening. We'll work through this as best we can and get it figured out. :)

Keep in mind that data backups are automatically taken both when you start up and shut down LaunchBox, so it's pretty much impossible for you to lose all your work, thankfully (outside of hard drive failure). You can always take manual backups of your Data folder too if it gives you some peace of mind.

thanks Jason, macrium reflect makes a scheduled mirror image of the launchbox ssd and my OS m2 ssd every week just in case. I also make backups of those data backups occasionally and do manual backups. Its nice to hear it from you that my data folder is safe! I only posted to let you know i'm def experiencing this guys exact issue. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of it at some point. Not sure which one of these your looking for, ive yet to get a crash today since ive been using audit menu last few days. I found what you wanted and its littered with many logs...how am i to know which one is from launchbox?

Edited by joshchawks

okay, ive found a few of the error logs.

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Hang
Date:          10/4/2020 5:20:40 PM
Event ID:      1002
Task Category: (101)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      DESKTOP-0LI203G
Description:
The program LaunchBox.exe version 11.6.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
 Process ID: 1f3c
 Start Time: 01d69a90fc6f6e12
 Termination Time: 17
 Application Path: D:\LaunchBox\Core\LaunchBox.exe
 Report Id: 5dadca8e-4864-4999-a02c-d3cbfa4f9fc2
 Faulting package full name:
 Faulting package-relative application ID:
 Hang type: Unknown

Source:        Application Error
Date:          10/4/2020 4:57:31 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Description:
Faulting application name: LaunchBox.exe, version: 11.6.0.0, time stamp: 0x5ee99cfc
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.488, time stamp: 0x5b4a3325
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000023e49
Faulting process id: 0x8f4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d69a905a1ec0c2
Faulting application path: D:\Launchbox\Core\LaunchBox.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 8fa65d89-8618-475b-addc-9a65d6814133

Source:        .NET Runtime
Date:          10/4/2020 4:57:31 PM
Event ID:      1026
Task Category: None
Description:
Application: LaunchBox.exe
CoreCLR Version: 4.700.20.26901
.NET Core Version: 3.1.6
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (5): Access is denied.
   at System.Diagnostics.ProcessManager.OpenProcess(Int32 processId, Int32 access, Boolean throwIfExited)
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.GetProcessHandle(Int32 access, Boolean throwIfExited)
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.WaitForExitCore(Int32 milliseconds)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Program.cfY4Ub36Pq()
   at zp5ocE9JvwDbZLvX5y.XnRmFqobh(zp5ocE9JvwDbZLvX5y )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Program.Main(String[] args)

Think these are it, might have missed one. there are several, most of which say similar things.

The errors look very similar to mine

The program LaunchBox.exe version 11.6.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
 Process ID: 158c
 Start Time: 01d69bfbc88f5d4c
 Termination Time: 11
 Application Path: C:\LaunchBox\Core\LaunchBox.exe
 Report Id: 593bc6fc-6245-4cf9-a8db-5142858821f8

CoreCLR Version: 4.700.20.41105
.NET Core Version: 3.1.8
   at System.Diagnostics.ProcessManager.OpenProcess(Int32 processId, Int32 access, Boolean throwIfExited)
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.GetProcessHandle(Int32 access, Boolean throwIfExited)

Faulting application name: LaunchBox.exe, version: 11.6.0.0, time stamp: 0x5ee99cfc
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.488, time stamp: 0x5b4a3325
Faulting process id: 0xcc0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d69bfbc8f0908c
Faulting application path: C:\LaunchBox\Core\LaunchBox.exe
Report Id: 5372d691-fd8b-45b1-9704-9cba4a35b285

However, I think these are caused by force closing LB rather than what is causing the crash. Yesterday I tried updating some metadata with Event Viewer open and there are no errors showing until after I force close LB. I don't really understand Event Viewer though if I'm being honest...

15 minutes ago, jonnieboyrevel said:

The errors look very similar to mine

Process ID: 158c
 Start Time: 01d69bfbc88f5d4c
 Termination Time: 11
 Application Path: C:\LaunchBox\Core\LaunchBox.exe
 Report Id: 593bc6fc-6245-4cf9-a8db-5142858821f8

CoreCLR Version: 4.700.20.41105
.NET Core Version: 3.1.8

Faulting process id: 0xcc0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d69bfbc8f0908c
Faulting application path: C:\LaunchBox\Core\LaunchBox.exe
Report Id: 5372d691-fd8b-45b1-9704-9cba4a35b285

However, I think these are caused by force closing LB rather than what is causing the crash. Yesterday I tried updating some metadata with Event Viewer open and there are no errors showing until after I force close LB. I don't really understand Event Viewer though if I'm being honest...

mine had a .net error or two after those errors you posted above, you have one of those too? was mixed in there between the other launchbox errors. Also my Core version is slightly lower than yours.

Edited by joshchawks

Yes, I get the same 3 after every force close. 

I have tried removing and reinstalling the .net framework but no joy. 

As I said though, I think it might be the force close that's causing the error rather than the error causing the hang. Hopefully Jason knows how to read the Event Viewer better than I do! 

• jonnieboyrevel changed the title to Launchbox keeps crashing when editing metadata