LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox keeps crashing when editing metadata

jonnieboyrevel

Just now, joshchawks said:

yes sir, i got right on that. I enabled videos in details as you requested, and went at it with the usual routine of editing and closing. I could not get the hang/crash, i tried for at least 5-10 mins. I tried switching platforms, doing it faster, all the usual tricks. Think you may have fixed it with the latest beta. Thats on my end tho, im going to continue to do edits for some hours tonight with the videos turned on. Ill report back if i get a hang, jonnie can replicate it better usually lets see if he says the same thing. I do know for sure, that turning off the videos did indeed fix the issue. I edited 2 entire platforms with no hangs or crashes over the last few days. thanks man, for fixing this problem for me.

I posted my log just in case you needed it for anything. i didnt get a crash or hang so idk how useful it will be.

Debug 2020-10-12 09-40-32 PM.log 617.85 kB · 0 downloads

Awesome, let's hope that really actually fixes the issue. Very good news. :)

I think you may have cracked it!

I've been trying to replicate the error this morning and so far haven't had any crashes with the videos switched on. I've been able to edit around 50 games without issue and it wasn't ever getting passed 10.

I'll keep going and post back if it does reoccur but fingers crossed you've solved it.

Thanks for the time you've put into sorting this out it is appreciated.

Regards

Jonnie

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Awesome, let's hope that really actually fixes the issue. Very good news. :)

well....whatever you did in the new beta def helped with the hangs/crashes. I regret to inform you that it didnt snuff it out completely. Over the last hour or so ive gotten two, the 2nd one i have the log for. Def a improvement for sure, noticed its only hanging now when im truly editing said games instead of just quickly clicking cancel/ok. I was removing duplicate images from my gba collection when these hangs occurred. same type of error, the hang on exitting edit menu.

Debug 2020-10-13 10-07-53 AM.log

I also noticed, that once i turn off videos in details section LB can consume quite a bit of RAM, way more than usual. hitting 8GB sometimes.

Edited by joshchawks

On 10/13/2020 at 7:23 AM, joshchawks said:

well....whatever you did in the new beta def helped with the hangs/crashes. I regret to inform you that it didnt snuff it out completely. Over the last hour or so ive gotten two, the 2nd one i have the log for. Def a improvement for sure, noticed its only hanging now when im truly editing said games instead of just quickly clicking cancel/ok. I was removing duplicate images from my gba collection when these hangs occurred. same type of error, the hang on exitting edit menu.

Debug 2020-10-13 10-07-53 AM.log 391.12 kB · 1 download

I also noticed, that once i turn off videos in details section LB can consume quite a bit of RAM, way more than usual. hitting 8GB sometimes.

I'll look into that video RAM thing; that's one I've never seen or heard of.

I did make some additional changes in 11.7-beta-8, which I just put out. Can you test it and see if it happens to fix the crashing issue you were still seeing? I also added some additional logging, so if you can send me a log file if you get a crash, that would be helpful.

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

I did make some additional changes in 11.7-beta-8, which I just put out. Can you test it and see if it happens to fix the crashing issue you were still seeing? I also added some additional logging, so if you can send me a log file if you get a crash, that would be helpful.

new beta is installed, debug log enabled, videos turned on. I'll keep it all on while i edit and ill return with a log if it hangs again. I also was referring to my onboard RAM not my GPU RAM. When i disable the videos in details section, and then start to edit...lb uses more and more RAM as i edit. Yesterday i editted maybe 100 games in one session, zipped it down and checked my rainmeter info on my desktop and LB was in the high 10GB! usually it barely hits a lil over 2GB. When i enable videos RAM behaves normally. weird thing i noticed, i dont notice any lag because of it but i also have 32GB of RAM that my pc barely uses. It only seems to "rise" when im editing a game, and accumulates as i edit more and more games. RAM resets when i close out of LB and reopen it. IDK< its a separate issue from what this thread is about, i dont want to shift the direction into something else. Just thought id mention that to you cuz they might be related somehow.

23 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Here is my log from a hang i got just now.

Debug 2020-10-16 06-19-46 PM.log

Oh, also, I believe I fixed the memory leak you mentioned above as well.

awesome news, tbh if you fixed the mem leak i am super pleased. Since i have the videos off atm the leak is kinda annoying, good news for sure on my end if thats true. Lets hope this new beta fixes both the issues.

Thanks for all the testing @joshchawks. I added another potential fix and again more logging in 11.7-beta-9. Let me know if you run into any crashes with beta 9. :)

ill do the same old routine. Ill return at some point with a log. Thanks Jason.

4 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Oh, also, I believe I fixed the memory leak you mentioned above as well.

I edited for the last hour with videos off, the memory leak has indeed been fixed! Rests at a comfortable 1.5gb for extended period of time. Thanks so much for fixing that! Im going to turn videos back on now and return when/if i get a hang.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Thanks for all the testing @joshchawks. I added another potential fix and again more logging in 11.7-beta-9. Let me know if you run into any crashes with beta 9. :)

heres my log from my editing this morning. Its a big one, i was able to edit around 40-60 games before i got the hang this time...or around that amount.

Debug 2020-10-20 09-50-08 AM.log

I noticed a few things in the log....

FIRST CHANCE EXCEPTION: Could not find a part of the path 'D:\Launchbox\Core\Metadata\Metadata.xml'.

shouldnt it be 'D:\Launchbox\Metadata\Metadata.xml' ?

Some other new stuff in the log too, bunch of file access errors saying its being used by another process, a few bitmap metadata errors. hope it helps you figure out whats going on. thanks again for your time.

Edited by joshchawks

@joshchawks Thanks once again for the testing. I just put out beta 10, which again contains potential fixes and again more logging. Hopefully this will either fix the issue or finally clue me in to the actual problem; there's not much else that could get in the way at this point.

Per the Metadata.xml path issue that you're seeing in the logs, I'm not exactly sure where that's coming from. Are you using any plugins? Do you have anything in your LaunchBox\Plugins folder?

3 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@joshchawks Thanks once again for the testing. I just put out beta 10, which again contains potential fixes and again more logging. Hopefully this will either fix the issue or finally clue me in to the actual problem; there's not much else that could get in the way at this point.

Per the Metadata.xml path issue that you're seeing in the logs, I'm not exactly sure where that's coming from. Are you using any plugins? Do you have anything in your LaunchBox\Plugins folder?

i did add some plugins few days ago. Doesnt seem to effect anything, your likely right about the where those errors are coming from. I can take it from here on that one, and remove the one causing errors. I'll update to the latest beta sometime today and return if i get a hang.

Okay, with the log I was able to determine 100% (or at least I believe it to be 100%) that VLC's Stop method was causing the crashes during the disposal process for videos. I don't really understand why VLC would cause the crash in that case, but as best I can tell, we don't really need to call Stop when disposing videos, so I simply removed the call. Hopefully nothing else will be negatively affected by that, and hopefully it will indeed fix the issue. All I can figure is that VLC didn't like to be told to stop the video in some rare cases (probably due to some kind of a threading conflict).

Anyways, 11.7-beta-11 is out now with the hopeful fix. :)

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

Okay, with the log I was able to determine 100% (or at least I believe it to be 100%) that VLC's Stop method was causing the crashes during the disposal process for videos. I don't really understand why VLC would cause the crash in that case, but as best I can tell, we don't really need to call Stop when disposing videos, so I simply removed the call. Hopefully nothing else will be negatively affected by that, and hopefully it will indeed fix the issue. All I can figure is that VLC didn't like to be told to stop the video in some rare cases (probably due to some kind of a threading conflict).

Anyways, 11.7-beta-11 is out now with the hopeful fix. :)

awesome news sir, very grateful for all the effort that went into fixing this issue. thanks so much!

Edited by joshchawks
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Have you confirmed it to be fixed? :)

when i first loaded up LB and started messing around i got a hang, didnt have the damn debug on. since that hang i havent been able to make it happen again. Tried for maybe 10-15 mins. Ill leave the videos on in details and return here if i get a hang. Until then id say its safe to assume you fixed the issue.

• 4 months later...

Resurrecting to bring attention that this still appears to be an issue in latest version, 11.9. I've been trying to figure this one out for a while, lb was crashing after every single edit. Low utilization, but hangs and crashes as others in this thread experienced. Very glad to have found the workaround in this thread, turned off videos in game details (I have videos for almost all of my modest ~600 collection) and it immediately stopped the crashes. So that's great! I haven't noticed any memory leak issues after testing with videos on and off in details.

Would be cool to get videos back outside of big box, but it's better than crashes. Thanks!