LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox keeps crashing when editing metadata

jonnieboyrevel

Ok, here is my log. It's just starting LB then opening and closing the edit Window a few times, then the hang. This one was right clicking and then pressing ok.

Debug 2020-10-08 08-14-28 AM.log

Here's one where I pressed the 'Edit' button and then 'Close' in the edit window

Debug 2020-10-08 08-21-18 AM.log

I'm not sure it shows much regarding the hang but then I don't really know what I'm looking for :)

Edited by jonnieboyrevel

4 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Thanks for the logs guys. We're working on a new beta here; however, we did just fix one thing that may or may not be the cause. Are you guys using a custom LaunchBox theme by chance?

I was using retrolusts arcade launchbox theme to match his other arcade theme that i use for bigbox. I was experiencing issues with it, i posted here about it. Since then ive been using the ol' default theme for launchbox. I updated to beta 6, forced a hang. here is my log, thanks again for looking into this.

Debug 2020-10-08 07-52-41 PM.log

58 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Do either of you have videos displayed on your GamesDetailView and if so are they set to auto play? Looking for any commonality to the crashes and whether the game you close has music or video or the combination of the two.

I have videos for all my games, i do have them set to be displayed in details, i dont have it set to auto play tho. For my playback i use VLC as well. I use custom mp3 tracks for each game, i also have all media for each game...if launchbox accepts it, i am likely using it "media/metadata" wise. As far as "what is going on when it hangs" its not consistent with the hang. a game that "hangs" one time doesnt do it the second time. I also have experience with that kind of hang, i had a few mp3 fail to download leaving behind a 0kb mp3. as soon as you highlight game with corrupted file lb will hang immediately after selecting it.

Edited by joshchawks

@C-Beats Ok, it definitely appears to be related to the videos.

With the videos removed from the details tab I can't get it to hang. I tried turning them back on and still couldn't get it to hang.

Now, it could either be toggling the videos off and on again that appears to have fixed it or it could be that I had a corrupt video file.

Earlier I noticed that a couple of games still had the annoying red triangle and exclamation mark that Emu Movies provides for unplayable games. As nearly all of them are playable now I used Windows explorer to search for all the .mp4 files in my video folder. As I was searching through I noticed that one video didn't have a thumbnail, so I opened it to see what it was. Neither Pot Player or VLC would play it and said it may be corrupt. I then deleted the file.

So, it's possible that LB was hitting the corrupt video and that was causing the hang. I only found the 1 though, so I don't know if LB would be accessing it when I'm in a completely different platform...

It might be worth @joshchawks having a look at his video folder too and checking to see if there is a corrupt video lurking about...

I'll keep doing some edits to make sure it's not just a fluke that it hasn't hung yet

5 minutes ago, jonnieboyrevel said:

@C-Beats Ok, it definitely appears to be related to the videos.

With the videos removed from the details tab I can't get it to hang. I tried turning them back on and still couldn't get it to hang.

Now, it could either be toggling the videos off and on again that appears to have fixed it or it could be that I had a corrupt video file.

Earlier I noticed that a couple of games still had the annoying red triangle and exclamation mark that Emu Movies provides for unplayable games. As nearly all of them are playable now I used Windows explorer to search for all the .mp4 files in my video folder. As I was searching through I noticed that one video didn't have a thumbnail, so I opened it to see what it was. Neither Pot Player or VLC would play it and said it may be corrupt. I then deleted the file.

So, it's possible that LB was hitting the corrupt video and that was causing the hang. I only found the 1 though, so I don't know if LB would be accessing it when I'm in a completely different platform...

It might be worth @joshchawks having a look at his video folder too and checking to see if there is a corrupt video lurking about...

I'll keep doing some edits to make sure it's not just a fluke that it hasn't hung yet

i did that with the problematic 3ds platform when i kept getting hangs on edit like every other game, my game library is not at all huge like yours i went thru them all one by one and verified all mp3s and videos are fine. Ill do a once over again tho since you found a few on your end and see if i have any corrupted video files.

Went through the entire nds video folder and all my videos have thumbnails, and no 0kb mp3s. I did notice however that i have a few 0kb thumbnails in my LB cache folder...is that normal?

Thanks for the info jonnie, i guess ill just disable the show video in details for now, i hate the sight of my LB crashing everyday.

Edited by joshchawks

Good sleuthing guys. If you would, keep videos off in the sidebar for a while and let us know if you still have the issues. If you end up not getting the problem anymore (after a long period of time), then we'll know that it's video-related and it'll be a lot easier for us to nail down. Thanks again.

20 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Good sleuthing guys. If you would, keep videos off in the sidebar for a while and let us know if you still have the issues. If you end up not getting the problem anymore (after a long period of time), then we'll know that it's video-related and it'll be a lot easier for us to nail down. Thanks again.

I have been editing for quite some time, hours for sure. last night, and also this morning, for a total of maybe 8 hours. No hangs so far, pretty sure its "semi-safe" to say that as soon as i disabled videos in details section it seemed to have stopped the crashes. Im going to continue forth and edit (not using audit menu) and verify this. I'll return if i get a hang or crash.

Edited by joshchawks
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

@jonnieboyrevel @joshchawks I put some fixes into 11.7-beta-7 that I'm hoping will fix the issue (if we're lucky). I still haven't been able to replicate them, but this makes sense as the potential issue. If you guys can upgrade and then try turning the videos back on, I'd appreciate it. :)

yes sir, i got right on that. I enabled videos in details as you requested, and went at it with the usual routine of editing and closing. I could not get the hang/crash, i tried for at least 5-10 mins. I tried switching platforms, doing it faster, all the usual tricks. Think you may have fixed it with the latest beta. Thats on my end tho, im going to continue to do edits for some hours tonight with the videos turned on. Ill report back if i get a hang, jonnie can replicate it better usually lets see if he says the same thing. I do know for sure, that turning off the videos did indeed fix the issue. I edited 2 entire platforms with no hangs or crashes over the last few days. thanks man, for fixing this problem for us.

I posted my log just in case you needed it for anything. i didnt get a crash or hang so idk how useful it will be.

Debug 2020-10-12 09-40-32 PM.log

Edited by joshchawks
  • Like 1