LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox Graphical Glitching v11.3-11.6 *Solved - Page 3*

neosean99

Hey LaunchBox family! I discovered an issue yesterday, and was really hoping someone here would have an answer.

I have a portable rig on a WD Black 4tb 3.0 drive, and have had no issues plugging this into any computer... until last night. My significant other bought a Dell G5 5500 i5-10300 with a GTX 1650ti, 8 gb ram, and Windows 10. Once plugging the drive into her computer to play some 2 player action, we realized that BigBox was having odd graphical glitches. The highlight cursor on text menus, or the game wheel on the right hand side (depending on theme) do odd enlargement popping, and artifacting. This is present in every theme. I tried plugging back into my PC, and had no issue. Her computer is a year newer model than my Dell G5. I checked over installed components and anything external looks in order. LaunchBox functions as intended, her graphics driver is up to date, latest version of Visual C++, .Net Framework, and Windows Updates are current. Some of you are aware that the new Dell G5's have a specific game performance mode. We tried this in and out of game mode with no change. There are no graphical issues with any games or anything else. Only BigBox... Any suggestions?

I will try to supply a video once home today. Any help would be greatly appreciated as she just bought her Launchbox license. I want to get her fully running. Thank you all!

Edited by neosean99

4 hours ago, neosean99 said:

@Vhero is this what you are seeing too? Just curious. Ours is only on a specific computer. Works fine on others... If this is what you are seeing, is your build portable to test on another system? 

Yes at least on the options menu of bigbox they acting the same. I dont use that theme. Mines not portable and Im using on an internal HDD. Definitely a new bug with latest update if i'm not only one suffering this.  

2 hours ago, C-Beats said:

When you say her .NET Framework is up to date, do you MEAN .NET Framework or .NET core? The newest version uses .NET Core and so you would want to verify that your .NET Core runtime are at version 3.1

I have latest core and .net framework. Coincidentally this occurred with mine when i updated to latest version which forced an update of ,net framework i believe.  Either way I have latest versions of both which work fine for other apps which require them.

@C-Beats Ok, confirmed. Net framework, and core fully up to date. No result change. This is frustrating. I plugged the HD into a 10 year old pc and had no issues. I've also run this with my portable drive on at least 10 computers. I find it odd that it's doing this on the most current pc I've plugged it into... Also updated to LB v11.5 official with no change on that specific machine. 

On 9/14/2020 at 2:21 PM, C-Beats said:

When you say her .NET Framework is up to date, do you MEAN .NET Framework or .NET core? The newest version uses .NET Core and so you would want to verify that your .NET Core runtime are at version 3.1

I have latest core and .net framework. Coincidentally this occurred with mine when i updated to latest version which forced an update of ,net framework i believe.  Either way I have latest versions of both which work fine for other apps which require them.

Can you post your spec of your system? Might be related to certain hardware or GPU drivers. Im running an nvidia 2070 super and dual screens.

On 9/13/2020 at 7:05 PM, neosean99 said:

Sorry for the delay on a visual. We have since tried to update to v11.5 Beta 5 and it didn't do the trick either. Are we missing a component? This is a brand new computer and as I said, no other computer does this in BigBox. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks guys!

I am having the exact same problem! I hope there is a fix! This recently just started happening to my BB and 11.5 did not fix the problem. 

• Like 1

For clarity, here's what I posted in the other topic:

Hi guys, just wanted to chime in here. First off, I'm sorry for the trouble with the video corruption. Unfortunately this particular issue is some kind of bug or incompatibility between .NET Core and certain video drivers. Out of curiosity, what video cards do you have?

This one is a tough one because it's either a Microsoft or a driver bug, and so there's very little we can do to try and fix the issue. We use Microsoft's WPF to render things in LaunchBox and Big Box, so unfortunately that means that if WPF has a bug, LaunchBox and Big Box will too. If I had to guess, though, this probably comes down to a bug with certain video drivers. I would first try updating your video drivers to the latest version available, and then making sure that you're 100% up to date on Windows updates. I would even try updating to the Windows 10 May 2020 Update if you haven't already:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If worse comes to worse and there isn't a fix available for your system yet, I would recommend staying on the 11.2 version until Microsoft and/or your video card manufacturer fixes the issue. Here's a link to download 11.2:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cg7fteljnwf0s9r/LaunchBox-11.2-Setup.exe?dl=0

10 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

For clarity, here's what I posted in the other topic:

Hi guys, just wanted to chime in here. First off, I'm sorry for the trouble with the video corruption. Unfortunately this particular issue is some kind of bug or incompatibility between .NET Core and certain video drivers. Out of curiosity, what video cards do you have?

This one is a tough one because it's either a Microsoft or a driver bug, and so there's very little we can do to try and fix the issue. We use Microsoft's WPF to render things in LaunchBox and Big Box, so unfortunately that means that if WPF has a bug, LaunchBox and Big Box will too. If I had to guess, though, this probably comes down to a bug with certain video drivers. I would first try updating your video drivers to the latest version available, and then making sure that you're 100% up to date on Windows updates. I would even try updating to the Windows 10 May 2020 Update if you haven't already:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If worse comes to worse and there isn't a fix available for your system yet, I would recommend staying on the 11.2 version until Microsoft and/or your video card manufacturer fixes the issue. Here's a link to download 11.2:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cg7fteljnwf0s9r/LaunchBox-11.2-Setup.exe?dl=0

@Jason Carr, first off thank you for everything you and your team has done. You are an absolute legend.

Unfortunately I checked windows updates (optional also), and graphics drivers prior to hitting the forum with the issue. However, I greatly appreciate you chiming in! I will keep researching. If I find a solution I will be sure to place it here. For now, I will probably clone her instance and drop it back to 11.2 as suggested. Thank you everyone for the feedback! This community rocks per usual! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Please see my post above @MuddyWaters79.

@Jason Carr

I just read the post and here is some info about my setup:

I have a Dell Alienware Aurora R8 running Windows 10 (I9 9900K Intel processor, Nvidia RTX 2080Ti GPU (11GB GDDR6-VRAM), 32GB DDR4 RAM) .

My LaunchBox/BigBox is portable and on a Seagate 8TB external hard drive.

Everything is up to date including: LaunchBox 11.5, Graphics Card drivers v452.06, Windows updates (Windows 10 PRO version 2004, Dell drivers, .NET CORE 3.1, .NET FRAMEWORK 4.8, (Visual Studio Community 2019 w/ .ASP NET and web development; .NET desktop development; Desktop development with C++; Data storage and processing; .NET Core cross-platform development.) 

*Still having glitches...

I hope this helps,

Thanks,

MuddyWaters79

2 minutes ago, MuddyWaters79 said:

@Jason Carr

I just read the post and here is some info about my setup:

I have a Dell Alienware Aurora R8 running Windows 10 (I9 9900K Intel processor, Nvidia RTX 2080Ti GPU (11GB GDDR6-VRAM), 32GB DDR4 RAM) .

My LaunchBox/BigBox is portable and on a Seagate 8TB external hard drive.

Everything is up to date including: LaunchBox 11.5, Graphics Card drivers v452.06, Windows updates (Windows 10 PRO version 2004, Dell drivers, .NET CORE 3.1, .NET FRAMEWORK 4.8, (Visual Studio Community 2019 w/ .ASP NET and web development; .NET desktop development; Desktop development with C++; Data storage and processing; .NET Core cross-platform development.) 

*Still having glitches...

I hope this helps,

Thanks,

MuddyWaters79

I happen to have the exact same CPU and GPU on my main development machine, so that rules that out as an issue. It would certainly be nice to figure out exactly what is causing it. My nVidia drivers are currently on 451.48. I'm going to try updating to 452.06 to see if perhaps the latest drivers actually cause this issue...

@MuddyWaters79 I updated my video drivers to 452.06, and I don't have the issue. So it doesn't look to be caused by a certain video driver version. Can you try killing all your background apps to see if that has anything to do with the issue? My only other ideas are corrupted .NET installs, though that would be odd considering you're running Visual Studio. Perhaps it could be caused by a corrupt .NET Core install, however.

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@MuddyWaters79 I updated my video drivers to 452.06, and I don't have the issue. So it doesn't look to be caused by a certain video driver version. Can you try killing all your background apps to see if that has anything to do with the issue? My only other ideas are corrupted .NET installs, though that would be odd considering you're running Visual Studio. Perhaps it could be caused by a corrupt .NET Core install, however.

I just did a clean install on my GPU driver and no change... I will try to kill background processes. I recently just checked core and .net... maybe I can uninstall and reinstall? Also do you think reinstalling LaunchBox/ Bigbox would help?