LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox Graphical Glitching v11.3-11.6 *Solved - Page 3*

neosean99

Also, I will be changing the video I uploaded to a different privacy setting so new launchbox users arent concerned with issues when searching Launchbox vids. I recommend this app to anyone that would be interested, and don't want to spread poor vibes. Easily the best tool for any of us gamers... New or old! ?

On 9/17/2020 at 7:42 PM, C-Beats said:

Been looking around and I found there is a known issue with a certain DLL that is used by several third party software that is known to cause issue with WPF rendering in Net Core applications. Do any of you have Sonic Suite installed? Or if you open up Task Manager do you see a "NahimicOSD" listed in Processes or Services tab? Realtek also utilizes this DLL.

I reinstalled windows to try fix this problem and it was fine when i first installed working perfectly, and low and behold it came back. Prior to windows I did have sonic suite installed and not this time.  This time however I had Sonic Studio. Once I closed it however I had Zero issues. That's not really a fix however as i use the app to monitor my computer temperatures and fan speeds.  Is this going to be patched in future updates? 

BTW Sonic Studio does not use the process listed in this thread. Its not listed for me and probably as I dont have Sonic Suite installed this time (funnily enough I couldnt install it as my system thinks its installed and just reboots my computer everytime i try to install it) 

Edited by Vhero

Glad to hear that we've got this solved for at least most of you guys. Huge thanks to @C-Beats for finding the solution on the web, and thanks for bearing with us.

On 9/19/2020 at 4:54 PM, Vhero said:

I reinstalled windows to try fix this problem and it was fine when i first installed working perfectly, and low and behold it came back. Prior to windows I did have sonic suite installed and not this time.  This time however I had Sonic Studio. Once I closed it however I had Zero issues. That's not really a fix however as i use the app to monitor my computer temperatures and fan speeds.  Is this going to be patched in future updates?

BTW Sonic Studio does not use the process listed in this thread. Its not listed for me and probably as I dont have Sonic Suite installed this time (funnily enough I couldnt install it as my system thinks its installed and just reboots my computer everytime i try to install it) 

This is unfortunate, but no, we cannot "patch" or fix this issue for future updates, as it's not our issue. Please see here:

https://github.com/dotnet/wpf/issues/2493

Keep in mind that even Microsoft Office is affected by this issue, from what I've read. It's an issue with Sonic Studio being poorly developed and improperly interfering with .NET Core. Microsoft's "solution", per the link above is to reach out to these companies and report their issues to them, apparently.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Glad to hear that we've got this solved for at least most of you guys. Huge thanks to @C-Beats for finding the solution on the web, and thanks for bearing with us.

This is unfortunate, but no, we cannot "patch" or fix this issue for future updates, as it's not our issue. Please see here:

https://github.com/dotnet/wpf/issues/2493

Keep in mind that even Microsoft Office is affected by this issue, from what I've read. It's an issue with Sonic Studio being poorly developed and improperly interfering with .NET Core. Microsoft's "solution", per the link above is to reach out to these companies and report their issues to them, apparently.

Ah that sucks I figured that would be the case. I can just close it when using Launchbox or BigBox for now. Least we figured it out in the end :).

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 9:07 AM, Kimjongilist said:

When you disabled it did you ensure to stop the service first and then prevent it's start up under the properties tab in the windows services menu as shown in these screens?

Nahimicservice.png

Nahimicserviceopenservice.png

Nahimicserviceproperties.png

Nahimicservicedisabledstartup.png

This issue has been torturing me since 11.2 and this resolved it.  Thank you SO MUCH!!!

• Like 1
  • Game On 2

You don't have to completely disable the Nahimic service (unless you want to - and if so, I'd recommend uninstalling that trash software completely then.)

Just disable the "Sound Tracker Engine" under the Setting section.

That specific portion is for a graphical overlay, and appears to be what causes the interference with many other programs.

See attached screen shot for where to find it.

Nahimic Sound Tracker Engine disable.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, FR0NZ said:

I have a weird glitch after exiting games  and tryed all possible solutions in this thread and i didnt have a nahimic service running.

using the newest launchbox version 11.7

There was no need to add another post about the issue. Please try to keep from posting the same issue in multiple threads.

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2020 at 8:07 AM, Kimjongilist said:

When you disabled it did you ensure to stop the service first and then prevent it's start up under the properties tab in the windows services menu as shown in these screens?

Nahimicservice.png

Nahimicserviceopenservice.png

Nahimicserviceproperties.png

Nahimicservicedisabledstartup.png

Just a small update, my GF's PC started having the issue again all of the sudden. Not sure how the service became active again, but I'm guessing a driver update. All she had to do was disable the nahimec service again. So to be clear, proceed with full removal or disable. Should solve the issue if it rears it's head again. I just wanted to thank everyone on here one more time for the efforts. It would have been a huge bummer to using BigBox had we not found the solution quickly. You guys rock!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Popping in to say I just ran into these visual glitches and this thread was a godsend.

I had uninstalled Sonic Suite 3 for being an awful memory leaking POS (Seriously how do audio drivers use 30 gigs of ram?!?)

but it turns out this service was lurking and causing my beautiful launchbox to have its mouseover effects corrupted.

I had no idea Nahimic service was lurking in the background being awful.

• Like 3
  • Game On 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks for posting the solution! I encountered the same issue and it was because of this garbage Nahimic thing. I didn't realise I had it installed, but apparently it came bundled with my motherboard's sound drivers?

It looks like Microsoft opened a support ticket with them back in 2019 (https://github.com/dotnet/wpf/issues/707#issuecomment-524110421 ). The issue is around how they hook Windows APIs in order to render some sort of OSD for audio control - The way that they do it breaks WPF, both in .NET Core apps and also in .NET Framework apps. Looking at that thread, it looks like Nahimic "fixed" it, but the bug came back this year, so clearly their fix was not that good.

I uninstalled the Sonic apps, but they left behind the Nahimic Service. I couldn't figure out how to properly uninstall the service so I first disabled it and then deleted the C:\Windows\system32\NahimicService.exe file (protip: good apps don't just drop their executables into system32). I'm worried a driver update will bring it back, in which case I'll just put a dummy EXE there and change the permissions so that nobody other than some random user account on my PC can write to the file.

On 9/21/2020 at 9:01 AM, Jason Carr said:

This is unfortunate, but no, we cannot "patch" or fix this issue for future updates

I understand that you don't want to try hacky patches, but perhaps LaunchBox can detect that NahimicOSD was injected into the process (see if NahimicOSD.dll is present in Process.GetCurrentProcess().Modules) and show a warning dialog saying that there's known issues with that software?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

@slydog43 Yikes, a handheld. Hopefully we can figure something out. Can you send us pics of your service listing while having the issue?

*EDIT* Also, I was able to find this in searching for issue: 

Can you confirm you have combed over your updates for the device or if this is the issue you are having?

Edited by neosean99