LaunchBox Community Forums

Retool: a 1G1R tool for Redump and No-Intro

Thanks for the reply. That explains why I couldn't find the it. ?

My last 1G1R app deleted "Super Mario Bros. (World)" from the No-Intro nes dat and saved "Super Mario Bros. + Duck Hunt (USA)" and "Super Mario Bros. + Tetris + Nintendo World Cup (Europe) (Rev 1)"

So that's where I started my testing of Retool.
And the Retool dat saves all 3:
Super Mario Bros. (World)
Super Mario Bros. + Duck Hunt (USA)
Super Mario Bros. + Tetris + Nintendo World Cup (Europe) (Rev 1)

For me this is a much better option as deleting a game or two from my NAS is a lot less of a hassle then adding them.

Anyway time to head over to github and read through the change logs.

Ah yeah, cross-region compilations that contain different titles make things really difficult when you're working with user-selected region priorities.

I need to spend more time across all systems with that, so I can't promise you'll see the same result when I eventually get around to trying to balance the NES compilations. It's very time consuming to figure out all the combinations, so it'll be a little while yet.

Edited by unexpectedpanda
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, i have compared Retool and ClrmamePro 1r1g mode for SNES with FRA/EURO/USA/JAP/Etc in priority

It seems that Retool miss a lot of clone when i compare with clrmame pro. For example, Retool keep :

ActRaiser 2 - Chinmoku e no Seisen (Japan) (clone)

Actraiser 2 (Europe) (En,Fr,De)

3-jigen Kakutou Ballz (Japan) (clone)
Ballz 3D - Fighting at Its Ballziest (USA)

Alien vs Predator (Europe)
Aliens vs. Predator (Japan) (clone)

etc.

While clrmamepro rip the clone. Is there a settings or something that i miss ? i use Retool 0.93 and all JSON are up to date.

Thanks for your tool and your response.

Edited by Zozio

On 6/18/2021 at 11:11 AM, Zozio said:
ActRaiser 2 - Chinmoku e no Seisen (Japan) (clone)

Actraiser 2 (Europe) (En,Fr,De)

3-jigen Kakutou Ballz (Japan) (clone)
Ballz 3D - Fighting at Its Ballziest (USA)

Alien vs Predator (Europe)
Aliens vs. Predator (Japan) (clone)

etc.

Sorry for the delay, I've been moving house and had no access to my PC. Just got things powered on, but much more work left to do.

It looks like No-Intro dropped the (Combined) tag from the system name. Since this changed, the correct clone list wasn't accessed.

I'll get to this as quick as I can, but you can get around the problem in the meantime by renaming clonelists\Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System (Combined).json to clonelists\Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System.json.

Edit: This was fixed shortly after posting, but for some reason the hash file that's used by Retool's updater didn't upload. It should be fixed now, and an update should grab the new file.

• 2 months later...
On 8/27/2021 at 8:29 PM, Newlander said:

Great tool! , how am I able to copy the rerool roms to a new folder from my no intro folder?

Thanks! You could set the No-Intro folder up in CLRMAMEPro as an Add-path, then use the Rebuilder. Just make sure to deselect Remove Matched Sourcefiles so your original files aren't removed.

On 8/27/2021 at 8:29 PM, Newlander said:

also how am I able to have the same game with multiple names? eg bubble bath babes is also known as Mermaids of Atlantis - The Riddle of the Magic Bubble both in the US

If I'm understanding this correctly, you want to keep both Bubble Bath Babes and Mermaids of Atlantis - The Riddle of the Magic Bubble, despite them being clones? To keep titles that would ordinarily be removed, you can add them to a custom global or system filter.

1 minute ago, unexpectedpanda said:

Thanks! You could set the No-Intro folder up in CLRMAMEPro as an Add-path, then use the Rebuilder. Just make sure to deselect Remove Matched Sourcefiles so your original files aren't removed.

If I'm understanding this correctly, you want to keep both Bubble Bath Babes and Mermaids of Atlantis - The Riddle of the Magic Bubble, despite them being clones? To keep titles that would ordinarily be removed, you can add them to a custom global or system filter.

I've never used CLRMAMEPro  before where am I able to find a guide? :)

• 5 months later...

@unexpectedpandaOh, wow. This is great!

I never thought of taking this approach when I developed 1g1r-romset-generator. 

I'm now working on DATROMTool, a more complete tool for handling DATs and all that (kinda like SabreTools, but a loss less complete). Its 1G1R capabilities are a bit better than 1g1r-romset-generator, but a bit better. Its file-handling capabilities are a lot better though.

I'm checking your code to see the approach you took and I can only give you kudos on both its quality and the amount of work that took. 

5 hours ago, andrebrait said:

@unexpectedpandaOh, wow. This is great!

I never thought of taking this approach when I developed 1g1r-romset-generator. 

I'm now working on DATROMTool, a more complete tool for handling DATs and all that (kinda like SabreTools, but a loss less complete). Its 1G1R capabilities are a bit better than 1g1r-romset-generator, but a bit better. Its file-handling capabilities are a lot better though.

I'm checking your code to see the approach you took and I can only give you kudos on both its quality and the amount of work that took. 

Thanks! I'm in the middle of a huge rewrite at the moment, aiming at performance and code cleanliness. If all goes well, at some point it'll update to 2.0 and the codebase will look completely different. The perils of learning stuff 😅

Looking forward to seeing DATROMTool!

• Game On 1

• 10 months later...

Is this normal?

image.thumb.png.ddc462fd1e7c822142c1e911cbef28eb.png

image.thumb.png.c787d10266768bfe35b5458373e1dd5a.png

I get the errors whenever my mouse hovers over one of the options in Exclusions and Modes.  Also I can't seem to identify if one of the options is active or not?

EDIT: Appears the latest binary doesn't include the images folder. So I downloaded again through using Code > Download Zip and it all is working.

Edited by Spacedeck
Solution found

8 hours ago, Spacedeck said:

Is this normal?

image.thumb.png.ddc462fd1e7c822142c1e911cbef28eb.png

image.thumb.png.c787d10266768bfe35b5458373e1dd5a.png

I get the errors whenever my mouse hovers over one of the options in Exclusions and Modes.  Also I can't seem to identify if one of the options is active or not?

EDIT: Appears the latest binary doesn't include the images folder. So I downloaded again through using Code > Download Zip and it all is working.

Eeps, thanks for the heads up. Something went wrong in the build. Fixing now...

Edit: Looks like the work I was doing on v2 clashed with the v1 build. Corrected now! Thanks again for letting me know.

Update

Is there a reason it might miss a game?  I just noticed 1943: Battle for Midway for NES was missing in my games list.  Using the default settings for regions, it appears to find the game 1943 (Japan)  (FamicomBox).  I usually only add Japan games labelled as English, but removing Japan from the list or adding the language filter English, then it doesn't pick the game up at all for me.

If I load up the original DAT file it shows 4 different copies are available, including a 1943 - The Battle of Midway (USA), which should be the one selected due to USA being top priority?  Could it be due to the way the other 3 games are named with the " - " in the name?

I'm using the Hearded dat file

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I didn't get a notification email for your question and only saw it today as I was idly browsing!

The short version is a typo caused this error.

Where the clone list was meant to specify 1943 (for the FamicomBox version), instead it specified 1942.

"1943 - The Battle of Midway": [
			["1943 - The Battle of Valhalla", 1],
			["1942", 1]
		],

Because of this, Retool thinks 1942 (Japan, USA) (En) is a clone of the 1943 - The Battle of Midway titles, and puts it higher up in priority because it contains two regions. It leaves 1943 (Japan) (FamicomBox) alone as it's not mentioned in the clone list at all. Not an ideal situation.

There's been a lot of chaos in No-Intro's NES DAT for the last few months (the split to headered/headerless, debate on what to do with homebrew, naming conventions changing), so I was waiting for a bit of stability before updating its clone list. But given others have noticed this issue, I'll fix this one now. There are a lot more updates for the NES DAT, but that's saved for Retool v2 to cut down on duplicate effort.

Edit: It's now been fixed, update your clone lists and you should see the change.

• 3 months later...

Hello @unexpectedpanda Thank you for creating the retool program.

I tried to use if for the first time but I must be doing something wrong. Can you take a look and let me know what I'm doing wrong?

I attached the original SNES no-intro dat I used and the dat the retool created. I left all the options set to their default values but I'm seeing a lot of duplicate games e.g.

Alien vs Predator (USA)
Aliens vs. Predator (Japan)

Blackthorne (USA)
Blackthorne (USA) (Beta) (CES)

BlaZeon - The Bio-Cyborg Challenge (USA)
BlaZeon (Japan) (En)

Bubsy in - Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind (USA)
Bubsy in - Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind (World) (Bubsy Two-Fur) (Unl)
Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind (USA) (Beta 2)

Bugs Bunny - Rabbit Rampage (USA)
Bugs Bunny - Hachamecha Daibouken (Japan)

Cacoma Knight (Japan)
Cacoma Knight in Bizyland (USA)

Choplifter III (Europe)
Choplifter III - Rescue-Survive (USA)

Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System (Private) (20230422-094423).dat Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System (Private) (20230422-094423) (Retool 2023-04-29 15-54-56) (2,428) [-k].dat

1 hour ago, Special T said:

Hello @unexpectedpanda Thank you for creating the retool program.

I tried to use if for the first time but I must be doing something wrong. Can you take a look and let me know what I'm doing wrong?

I attached the original SNES no-intro dat I used and the dat the retool created. I left all the options set to their default values but I'm seeing a lot of duplicate games e.g.

Alien vs Predator (USA)
Aliens vs. Predator (Japan)

Blackthorne (USA)
Blackthorne (USA) (Beta) (CES)

BlaZeon - The Bio-Cyborg Challenge (USA)
BlaZeon (Japan) (En)

Bubsy in - Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind (USA)
Bubsy in - Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind (World) (Bubsy Two-Fur) (Unl)
Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind (USA) (Beta 2)

Bugs Bunny - Rabbit Rampage (USA)
Bugs Bunny - Hachamecha Daibouken (Japan)

Cacoma Knight (Japan)
Cacoma Knight in Bizyland (USA)

Choplifter III (Europe)
Choplifter III - Rescue-Survive (USA)

Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System (Private) (20230422-094423).dat 1.53 MB · 0 downloads Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System (Private) (20230422-094423) (Retool 2023-04-29 15-54-56) (2,428) [-k].dat 954.01 kB · 0 downloads

Private DATs aren't supported. They're relatively new, and I haven't decided if it's something I wish to pursue. You've got two options in the meantime:

1. Use the regular DAT, not the private one.
  2. Select a custom clone list and point it to the existing SNES clone list. Private entries won't be taken into account, but the public titles will. To do so:
    1. Add the SNES private DAT file, and select it in the DAT list.
    2. Click the System settings tab.
    3. On the Paths tab, click Override global settings.
    4. Click the button next to Select a custom clone list.
    5. In the clonelists folder, select Nintendo - Nintendo Entertainment System (No-Intro).

• Thanks 1

Wow, that was fast. Thank you for adding support for that so quickly. I really appreciate it!

One more quick question. If I'm understanding your documentation correctly, for dats that have a regular dat and a parent clone dat, it doesn't really matter which one I use. I'll get the same result as long as I'm using the same settings within the retool program, right?

47 minutes ago, Special T said:

Wow, that was fast. Thank you for adding support for that so quickly. I really appreciate it!

One more quick question. If I'm understanding your documentation correctly, for dats that have a regular dat and a parent clone dat, it doesn't really matter which one I use. I'll get the same result as long as I'm using the same settings within the retool program, right?

Correct. Existing parent-clone relationships in DATs are ignored.

• Thanks 1