LaunchBox Community Forums

Is there a KeyToJoy?

floodie

hi Guys - So adding a number of my Windows games. Made the Windows playlist, added a few games.  

I have a cabinet, with ipac running the normal 2 stick, 12 button combo... Is it possible to have my buttons convert to Joypad (Xbox) presses?...

For instance my 6 buttons on the player 1 side is mapped on the ipac to QWEASD. So i assume, once say i presss "Medium punch" which would be "W", the PC / Something converts this to say "X" on an xbox pad?

Ive seen JoytoKey, but sounds like i need the opposite of this

hope i am making sense there

thanks

1 hour ago, floodie said:

hi Guys - So adding a number of my Windows games. Made the Windows playlist, added a few games.  

I have a cabinet, with ipac running the normal 2 stick, 12 button combo... Is it possible to have my buttons convert to Joypad (Xbox) presses?...

For instance my 6 buttons on the player 1 side is mapped on the ipac to QWEASD. So i assume, once say i presss "Medium punch" which would be "W", the PC / Something converts this to say "X" on an xbox pad?

Ive seen JoytoKey, but sounds like i need the opposite of this

hope i am making sense there

thanks

Off the top of my head: x360ce, Universal Control Remapper (UCR), Virtual Controller, reWASD. But there are many more.

Great thank you - Just looked into x360ce and seems to not work with Keyboards, the devs seem to get quite angry when people ask oddly too on their forums. UCR could be good!

To be honest, i know sod all about AHK scripts and stuff but i think that may work for some games. Some games the keys are oddly undefinable, so i can surely make W=H and so on... i believe....!!!!

just had a brief search on AHK stuff.. So seems easy to make a script that remaps one key to another, for instance :

a::p

s::o

q::l

w::k

so is it simply ONLY that above that i put in a script file?

how do i get it so the script closes once i end the windows game? otherwise wouldnt that script remain active all the time!! argh... 

THanks all

2 hours ago, floodie said:

just had a brief search on AHK stuff.. So seems easy to make a script that remaps one key to another, for instance :

so is it simply ONLY that above that i put in a script file?

how do i get it so the script closes once i end the windows game? otherwise wouldnt that script remain active all the time!! argh... 

THanks all

Yup it's that easy. Use it a lot with my iPac, one of the reasons I leave it in keyboard mode.

The AHK script in the running tab  of LB will end when program is done.

If it's a [Windows] game that's not using an Emulator, you'll need to add your compiled script as an Additional App and check the box to Automatically Run Before Main Application.

You'll then need a 2nd script compiled and also set as an Additional App, but check the box Automatically Run After Main Application.  The 2nd script will commit a murder - suicide.  That is, kill the 1st one then kill itself.

So if the 1st one is compiled to "GameKeyRemap.exe", the 2nd one will be:

WinClose, ahk_exe "GameKeyRemap.exe"
ExitApp

(I'm sure with some thought, there's a more elegant ways to do this as well)

3 minutes ago, floodie said:

Thanks guys - appreciate your help

Mind i say however - Headrush and Joe are you saying kinda opposite things? one saying "LB will end when program is done." and HR saying its best to create a script that kills it?

Perhaps i have read wrong?

That's because Headrush is referring to the option when you use an emulator, like Mame. LB has a tab to enter AHK scripts without need to compile anything. This would then apply the AHK to anything run within the emulator and upon close of the emulator LB ends the AHK script as well.

Joe is talking about when the game is run directly from a unique .exe like Windows games. There is no tab in LB to add AHK scripts so you would need to compile an AHK or a bat file for each unique .exe and set them as additional apps for the game.

thank you - So yes, its an EXE it will be running. So i write the AHK i need per game, then compile / Save it as a Batch file and add it to additional apps? Will it close upon ending the windows .Exe game?

After searching yesterday im sure it was you who wrote another Bat file to run when closing to terminate the AHK script : "taskkill.exe /F /IM Game_Exit.exe" obviously replacing Game_Exit with whatever .exe/batch file ive made

Edited by floodie

21 minutes ago, floodie said:

So i write the AHK i need per game

If all your Windows games use the same hotkeys... i.e.

...you'll only need to write and compile one AutoHotkey script file (not to be confused with a batch file).  Otherwise yes.  One per game.  Let's pretend they'll all use the same hotkeys [thus only needing one compiled script].  When you compile an AutoHotkey script, it compiles it to an executable file with the file extension of .exe    We'll call this newly compiled script "GameKeyRemap.exe".

17 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

add your compiled script as an Additional App and check the box to Automatically Run Before Main Application.

Because "GameKeyRemap.exe" doesn't have an exit hook in it, it will keep running even after exiting your Windows game.  So...

17 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

You'll then need a 2nd script compiled and also set as an Additional App, but check the box Automatically Run After Main Application.  The 2nd script will commit a murder - suicide.  That is, kill the 1st one ["GameKeyRemap.exe"] then kill itself.

For this 2nd script, you can use

WinClose, ahk_exe "GameKeyRemap.exe"
ExitApp

Or if you prefer, you can write a batch file instead which may look like

taskkill.exe /F /IM GameKeyRemap.exe

Either way [compiled script or batch file], it will need to be set as another Additional App to the game(s) but 'checked' to "Run After Main Application".

Hi Guys - havent had a chance to work on this, my 2 kids sucked up all my time over the weekend. However i did get a chance to do some more research and have you heard of a (what seems like) really good program called Keyboard2xinput - it effectively turns keystrokes into joypad presses... From peoples reviews online seems to work very well, and to be honest, perhaps may work better than a separate AHK script for each game. Could use this once and thats it as all games use pads. Thoughts anyone?

• 1 year later...