LaunchBox Community Forums

Heh, just tried it now with the same version that was giving me trouble on the same build of LB and it works fine.  Must have been the older Windows build I was using or something.  Love the new added features, btw, and it runs much smoother than the older version I was using where it would freeze up my LB until the video was downloaded. Great job on this plugin. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2022 at 5:04 PM, JoJoJuJu59 said:

Heh, just tried it now with the same version that was giving me trouble on the same build of LB and it works fine.  Must have been the older Windows build I was using or something.  Love the new added features, btw, and it runs much smoother than the older version I was using where it would freeze up my LB until the video was downloaded. Great job on this plugin. Thanks.

Cool, glad to hear it's working for you now.

btw, unless it's very old even a previous version shouldn't freeze up launchbox as it should be asyncronous, that's interesting. did it freeze up your computer as well?

4 hours ago, maikeru1986 said:

btw, unless it's very old even a previous version shouldn't freeze up launchbox as it should be asyncronous, that's interesting. did it freeze up your computer as well?

No, just my LB would freeze up  Then after it finished downloading the video (or not finding one), it would go back to normal and I could use LB normally again.  I'm thinking it was something going on with my Windows installation at the time, either some other program or redistributable that Windows was using that caused this quirk.  Now it works fine though.  I've since upgraded to Windows 10 build 21H2 which might have helped.  This plugin of yours works great and it's one of only two LB plugins (the other being the Steam info downloader) I use.  I wanted to use the latest version and now I can.

• 4 months later...

Worked well for my PlayStation 2 collection, but after moving on to PlayStation 3 it seems to only download the same video no matter how i change the search parameters . Was working then got hung on this same video for some reason could be a coding issue.

EDIT:  I actually figured out what's going on with the PS3 games . I actually had a problem associated with this when adding ps3 games to launchbox in the first place.  So in order to get Ps3 games to launch from launchbox you have to point launchbox to the .Eboot then rename the game in launchbox and redownload the cover art. ITs relly messed up and a long process . So the Video snap is also using this data to search youtube instead of using the label in launchbox its using the file names from the folder.. This is why i cant download the correct video for my PS3 games. The video it downloads from youtube is  Master Reboot each and every time. If the program only used the launchbox name instead of the file name or the the folder name instead of the file name then this issue would go away.

So for PS3 Videosnap needs to use the launchbox metadata to retrieve the file name would be the best.

Edited by Partiesplayin

9 hours ago, Partiesplayin said:

Worked well for my PlayStation 2 collection, but after moving on to PlayStation 3 it seems to only download the same video no matter how i change the search parameters . Was working then got hung on this same video for some reason could be a coding issue.

EDIT:  I actually figured out what's going on with the PS3 games . I actually had a problem associated with this when adding ps3 games to launchbox in the first place.  So in order to get Ps3 games to launch from launchbox you have to point launchbox to the .Eboot then rename the game in launchbox and redownload the cover art. ITs relly messed up and a long process . So the Video snap is also using this data to search youtube instead of using the label in launchbox its using the file names from the folder.. This is why i cant download the correct video for my PS3 games. The video it downloads from youtube is  Master Reboot each and every time. If the program only used the launchbox name instead of the file name or the the folder name instead of the file name then this issue would go away.

So for PS3 Videosnap needs to use the launchbox metadata to retrieve the file name would be the best.

Not sure if this is your problem but I was having this issue a while back, and turned out to be that if you have a video link pasted in the metadata then this program will only download that video. Otherwise it will actually search youtube for a video. It shouldn't be using the rom name though from what I know to do the search. It should be using the name you gave it in launchbox.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Is anyone else getting this problem - approx 60% or more of my downloaded videos are just a black screen and no sound. I've tried updating the youtube downloader and the ffmpeg files, but it's still the same. Some videos are fine, those seem to take slightly longer to download, but the black screen ones normally take 10-20 seconds, so I know they're black screen before even looking.

It seems to be downloading something in that time, but the end result is a 30 second blank video. Doesn't matter if I choose "data saver" or "best" quality, the result is the same, although it takes slightly longer to download a best quality black screen video.

Any suggestions to get this fixed? Something to do with the encoding part? I've no idea.

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by jjsparx

17 hours ago, jjsparx said:

Is anyone else getting this problem - approx 60% or more of my downloaded videos are just a black screen and no sound. I've tried updating the youtube downloader and the ffmpeg files, but it's still the same. Some videos are fine, those seem to take slightly longer to download, but the black screen ones normally take 10-20 seconds, so I know they're black screen before even looking.

It seems to be downloading something in that time, but the end result is a 30 second blank video. Doesn't matter if I choose "data saver" or "best" quality, the result is the same, although it takes slightly longer to download a best quality black screen video.

Any suggestions to get this fixed? Something to do with the encoding part? I've no idea.

Many thanks in advance.

Are you trimming them?  I got this when my trim criteria started after the initial video actually ended.

Yes, I'm trimming at around the 4 minute mark as this is usually after all the intro scenes for a playthrough from the beginning of a game. I only need 40 seconds clips, and I don't search for trailers as they tend to have added music and text that isn't part of the normal gameplay.

As an aside, what would be useful is to have a negative search criteria, so adding a "minus mark" like this: -trailer would then exclude anything with the word "trailer" in the title, or even: -(trailer, speedrun, commentary) would exclude all those terms at once.

I've downloaded a few videos where the footage is fine, but someone is talking over the gameplay or had their "split counter" graphic in the corner for a speedrun.

18 hours ago, drw4013 said:

Are you trimming them?  I got this when my trim criteria started after the initial video actually ended.

Yes, just realised I should have quoted you so you get a notification. See my other response too. Many thanks.

Just as a final update on this - I still couldn't get more than 30% of videos to download without black screens, so I ended up using the "Clip" feature on YouTube, combined with a YouTube downloader:

Find the video on YouTube, get to an appropriate part (past all the intros etc and avoiding cut-scenes). If you then select the Clip (Scissors) symbol under most YouTube videos, you can create a short clip (from 15 to 60 seconds in length), you can also scrub in the editor to choose the best in and out points.

Once done, name the clip anything (it won't let you get the link without naming the clip) - I just called them all "a" - one letter is enough.

Then click share, which gives you a custom URL that can be used with a YT downloader and it recognises the length of the clip too, so paste the clip link, download into the right folder of Launchbox, rename to match your rom and that is it.

It takes longer, obviously, but you can select your clips better and ensure that none of them have other things in them like speedrunners, reviewers or playthroughs with commentary!

• 4 months later...
On 9/19/2023 at 2:17 PM, Surfdeign said:

Doesn't seem to be working for me again. Anyone using this with success as of now? I did update the file and was working about a month ago but tried today and didn't find any videos.

https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/releases/download/2023.07.06/yt-dlp.exe

Try downloading the yt-dlp.exe from this link and replace the one in your plugin folder to see if that fixes the problem