LaunchBox Community Forums

Why people upload so much crap?!

ReignerDeustcher

On 2/11/2021 at 7:26 PM, ReignerDeustcher said:

I mean in the game screenshots, when i add games i found that there's a lot of images with the worst quality ever and diminute size, this annoys me a lot

What if people uploaded nothing ? Then you wouldn't have ANYTHING to choose from.

Maybe be grateful that people take time out to upload free stuff for everyone to choose from in the first place.

Edited by zugswang
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, zugswang said:

What if people uploaded nothing ? Then you wouldn't have ANYTHING to chose from.

Maybe be grateful that people take time out to upload free stuff for everyone to choose from in the first place.

They not wrong though. If you're going to bother contributing to the database, why not look for the best possible images you can find?

Edited by Madhead

I don't have anything to do with the DB but as far as my understanding goes low quality images only get accepted when there are no other images uploaded already and anything that is lower quality or incorrect gets rejected.

I can't say if when newer higher quality images get submitted and accepted if the older low quality ones get removed or not.

34 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

I can't say if when newer higher quality images get submitted and accepted if the older low quality ones get removed or not.

When I'm moderating, the majority of people replace the lower quality images with the higher quality but a few are still adding them as new images so low res duplicates are still there.

1 hour ago, Madhead said:

If you're going to bother contributing to the database, why not look for the best possible images you can find?

Now while I agree with you on that, sometimes these are the best possible images people can find, the internet can be a bit of a hit & miss when it come to quality.

I often spend hours online looking for good quality images and occasionally the best I can find is a low quality pixelated mess. 

I'm not the biggest fan of these images myself, but if there's no images in the database for the game anyway and you can clearly see what game it's for and it's decent enough, then I don't see the harm in using them as placeholders until higher quality replacements can be sourced.

I'd rather have low quality something, than no quality nothing :)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, IainSA said:

When I'm moderating, the majority of people replace the lower quality images with the higher quality but a few are still adding them as new images so low res duplicates are still there.

Ah ok, like I said, I stay away from the DB stuff. I let others have all the joy that is dealing with it ;)

On 2/11/2021 at 4:26 PM, ReignerDeustcher said:

I mean in the game screenshots, when i add games i found that there's a lot of images with the worst quality ever and diminute size, this annoys me a lot

Can you give us an example? In my experience, the screenshots in the database are either native resolution or higher. A very small number are what you would call "worst quality".

On 2/11/2021 at 8:26 PM, ReignerDeustcher said:

I would like to add that what you consider "worst quality ever and diminute size" is a bit subjective. If you look through the eyes of 2021 at a screenshot of a game of which the native resolution is 320x240, it seems low res, but in fact is accurate. It is what it is. Same with newer games. If you render for example a PS1 game in 4K you get used to that 4K look. Than a screenshot at native res seems low res but is accurate. But sometimes you come across a screenshot that is a heavily compressed .jpg. That bothers me because if you blow that up to a big screen, the compression artifacts become really noticeable. Then either you look for a better screenshot or better yet, fire up the game and hit Win + Print Screen and you have a high quality .png screenshot. Also LaunchBox offers OBS integration. But as far a the quality of the screenshot in the database, it could be far worse. With 10's of thousands of games there are bound to be some low quality images.

• Like 1