LaunchBox Community Forums

Individual controller mapping/autoconfigs

damageinc86

I put this feature request up on bitbutcket, and it was one of 4 duplicates of the following issue: https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/1877/controller-autoconfigs

Apparently it is a 4 year old issue/feature request to be able to map each controller individually because for example, button 1 isn't the same button across all usb controllers that a user might have plugged in.  I still use my keyboard for this reason.  I can never remember what button 1 is on another controller, so I inevitably end up hitting the wrong button and stuff goes wrong.  If launchbox/bigbox could just show us a list of all the controllers we have plugged in, and then let us map each one, it would make navigation with any controller 100% seamless.

13 hours ago, damageinc86 said:

I put this feature request up on bitbutcket, and it was one of 4 duplicates of the following issue: https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/1877/controller-autoconfigs

Apparently it is a 4 year old issue/feature request to be able to map each controller individually because for example, button 1 isn't the same button across all usb controllers that a user might have plugged in.  I still use my keyboard for this reason.  I can never remember what button 1 is on another controller, so I inevitably end up hitting the wrong button and stuff goes wrong.  If launchbox/bigbox could just show us a list of all the controllers we have plugged in, and then let us map each one, it would make navigation with any controller 100% seamless.

yeap, I have been waiting for this feature for a long time, I hope it comes to life :)

1 hour ago, kidshoalin said:

yeap, I have been waiting for this feature for a long time, I hope it comes to life :)

I'm sure there's more than 12 people (votes on the bitbucket page) who would enjoy this feature.  I bet a lot of people don't even know about the bitbucket stuff, or are too lazy to register for yet another site lol.  I wish you could just vote here, I feel like really good features aren't receiving enough eyes on them because they are lost in bitbucket.

2 minutes ago, damageinc86 said:

I'm sure there's more than 12 people (votes on the bitbucket page) who would enjoy this feature.  I bet a lot of people don't even know about the bitbucket stuff, or are too lazy to register for yet another site lol.  I wish you could just vote here, I feel like really good features aren't receiving enough eyes on them because they are lost in bitbucket.

Things get lost far more easily here on the forums. BitBucket is a dedicated service for this purpose.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

woohoo! 28 votes now! lol.  If usability is the big overarching goal, then this issue should really be addressed.  Most of us, even newbies, have multiple controllers.  A feature to allow launchbox navigation (mapping per controller) from any one of the controllers available would really go a long way.

https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/1877/controller-autoconfigs

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey @damageinc86, I just wanted to update this post as I know you submitted this to our recent AMA. I'm posting our response to this question for transparency: 

I'm also attaching the timestamp to our closing stream where we discussed this:

🔗  2:55:14

We recognize the challenges posed by different controller layouts, particularly when transitioning between devices like an Xbox controller (where the “A” button is in one position) and a Switch controller (where the “B” button may occupy a similar position). These inconsistencies can make it difficult to navigate LaunchBox or Big Box fluidly, which can indeed impact the overall user experience.

That said, creating a framework to manage multiple controller profiles and remap all of their inputs in a unified way is not something on our short-term plans. The main reason is that there are already external tools that do this very well, such as reWASD and X360CE, that provide robust solutions for controller remapping at a system-wide level. These programs allow users to create consistent controller profiles that are applied not only within LaunchBox or Big Box, but also across all applications and emulators on their system. By setting up these profiles at the controller level, users can ensure that each controller behaves the same way across all programs, making the need for specific in-app navigation mappings less critical.

From our perspective, where we do feel we can make an improvement with controller mappings is within the emulators themselves, i.e configuring a controller mapping in LaunchBox, and having that be automatically applied to the emulator's configuration, negating the need for users to have to configure controllers separately via emulators.

I hope that helps provide some clarity on the issue. Give me a shout if you'd like to discuss anything further.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AstroBob said:

Hey @damageinc86, I just wanted to update this post as I know you submitted this to our recent AMA. I'm posting our response to this question for transparency: 

I'm also attaching the timestamp to our closing stream where we discussed this:

🔗  2:55:14

We recognize the challenges posed by different controller layouts, particularly when transitioning between devices like an Xbox controller (where the “A” button is in one position) and a Switch controller (where the “B” button may occupy a similar position). These inconsistencies can make it difficult to navigate LaunchBox or Big Box fluidly, which can indeed impact the overall user experience.

That said, creating a framework to manage multiple controller profiles and remap all of their inputs in a unified way is not something on our short-term plans. The main reason is that there are already external tools that do this very well, such as reWASD and X360CE, that provide robust solutions for controller remapping at a system-wide level. These programs allow users to create consistent controller profiles that are applied not only within LaunchBox or Big Box, but also across all applications and emulators on their system. By setting up these profiles at the controller level, users can ensure that each controller behaves the same way across all programs, making the need for specific in-app navigation mappings less critical.

From our perspective, where we do feel we can make an improvement with controller mappings is within the emulators themselves, i.e configuring a controller mapping in LaunchBox, and having that be automatically applied to the emulator's configuration, negating the need for users to have to configure controllers separately via emulators.

I hope that helps provide some clarity on the issue. Give me a shout if you'd like to discuss anything further.

Yeah, I think that the point is for it to all be self-contained within launchbox.  For the usability of launchbox to be buttoned down right out of the box vs. making the user have to set up an entirely different program just to tell launchbox that 3 controllers that launchbox can easily recognize already, need to all point to the same function for navigating launchbox.  I understand not wanting to do the work when technically other programs exist.  However, it seems odd to leave this one out, because A. there are so many other random features that are put into launchbox that are pretty out in left-field so to speak, B. It's never going to NOT be an issue, for any new user, and any long-time user, and C. Launchbox already sees all the controllers and is able to map at least once to apply to all controllers, so it's halfway there already.  Why not have the mapping for Launchbox's internal navigation just go one step further than it does in order to create a simple, finished user experience within the program?  Normally, it wouldn't be an issue, but because of the nature of the community (emulation), people will often have at least a few different controller styles. 

With development crossing over the 11 year mark and going strong, more than exceeding all of our expectations quite amazingly, I still feel that this is something completely glossed over, and adding that last piece of controller navigation to that option would do nothing but enhance the user experience.  Especially users who just want to pick up any one of their controllers and navigate through launchbox without having to set up yet another external program just for one aspect of the program.

Edited by damageinc86
  • Like 1