LaunchBox Community Forums

My current build

cliffyb73

I've had Launchbox for about 3 years and built it up iover that time. Then about a month ago I decided to redo the whole thing as it had become messy and a bit out dated on some of the systems. So I bought a 8tb external and got to work. I've made logos etc for the systems that didnt have them. I've added bezels, overlays and shaders espcially for handhelds and arcade games. The theme is City Hunter 2. Currently sat 135 systems and 35336 games and still adding some. I've got them all working bar TI-99 (any help on that would be appriciated), cant seem to get it going properly. It's been an enjoyable month.

launchbox.png

679282850_launchbox1.thumb.png.f4d05c68cfc9ea5195415a424230a544.png

launchbox 3.png

launchbox 2.png

Edited by cliffyb73
  • Like 2
  • Game On 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 4:45 PM, SiriusVI said:

What romsets and emulators do you use for computer systems, such as Apple II and AppleIIGS? 

I've collected the romsets over a few years. However I got a lot from Arcade Punks recently, particularly Piggies sets. The eumlators for Apple II is Apple Win and Apple IIGS is Mess (Mame). I mainly use Retroarch and Mess (Mame) overall but they are loads of different ones like Dolphin, Teknoparrot and system specific ones.

Edited by cliffyb73

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/5/2021 at 8:31 PM, andyco47 said:

u gonna play all them ???? i dont think so do you.

That's not what this is about, haha. Its about collecting and having the opportunity to play anything you want if you ever wanted to. I have a collection of over 100k games. And the only one I ever SERIOUSLY played was Ocarina of time 3D for the Nintendo 3ds on Citra, because I wanted to play this game on the big screen.

I'm not sure that I will ever finish emulated games in my collection. Still, I've spent years building up my collection. I don't know why, but it's just fun setting up a functioning collection of every released game in history (up to a certain point). I'm currently working on PS3 and Xbox 360. These are the newest systems I'll try to add to the collection (besides Nintendo switch). I don't plan to ever delve into ps4 or xbox one emulation. Besides that, older computer systems will take up a lot of my time for the next couple of years.

Edited by SiriusVI
  • Like 1

Joking aside yes that what I'm doing, just building a collection of gaming history on one unit. My son plays on it and my wife plays on it too. It's just everything there in one place for anyone to enjoy. Roms are disappearing all the time. It's cool to keep a good collection of them. I'm sure a lot of people that use Launchbox do the same. Some people collect figures, records etc, I collect games :)

10 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

No they aren't.

Well, Nintendo roms aren't as accessible as they used to be, but I also don't think they will disappear. Nonetheless, it's just cool to fire launchbox up and scroll through a game collection. Launchbox itself plays a key role here. I wouldn't be interested in collecting games if launchbox didn't give me the ption to display and launch games in a unified way.

12 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Nintendo roms are still easily found though, just because a couple of sites stopped having them it doesn't mean they are disappearing or more difficult to find.

Sure, if you know where to look, they are still plenty of places where you can get them. I don't think they'll be gone any time soon / ever.

24 minutes ago, SiriusVI said:

Sure, if you know where to look

This has always been the case and it hasn't changed, a quick Google search was all that was ever needed.

So saying they are "disappearing" or "harder to find" is just an untrue statement. It was like back when EmuParadise removed all their Nintendo roms and then all the other stuff there was a couple of weeks where everyone was freaking out about where to get their roms from. The only thing that changed was EmuParadise was gone, just like in years past when other rom sites shut down, new ones opened up and people went to other sites that were lesser well known but still existed at the same time.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

This has always been the case and it hasn't changed, a quick Google search was all that was ever needed.

So saying they are "disappearing" or "harder to find" is just an untrue statement. It was like back when EmuParadise removed all their Nintendo roms and then all the other stuff there was a couple of weeks where everyone was freaking out about where to get their roms from. The only thing that changed was EmuParadise was gone, just like in years past when other rom sites shut down, new ones opened up and people went to other sites that were lesser well known but still existed at the same time.

You are correct, of course. Nothing's disappearing. Anyway, my point was that collecting roms, for me personally isn't about archiving them out of fear for them to disappear or for actually playing a large amount of them. I just like having a collection that I set up and browse through. Occasionally I will play a few games, but that is not the reason I build this collection.

I didnt mean to cause an arguement. I should have probably worded it better meaning Roms arnt as easy to get as they used to be with Nintendo going after sites. Yeah they are still there if you look deep enough. Thankfully sites like Arcade Punks exist. Can we all just agree we love retro gaming and buiklding launchbox collections ha ha. 

As a update I stopped adding systems last week at 198. The games got up 41469 games. I probs never stop adding games when the later emulators improve for the like of the 360 and Switch, and if I see a system I dont have i'll add that too. Was a huge a mount of fun doing it :)

Nah, it's not an argument but again, roms are not more difficult to find and you don't need to use a site like Arcade Punks to find them either. Sure Nintendo roms are not quite as easy to find but they are still very easy to find without the need for some shady sites either. When EmuParadise and a couple of other sites shut down other sites popped up in their place.

Just for reference, if you want easy to find rom sets just a simple search of the Internet Archive has pretty much anything you want within reason, no modern systems like PS3 or XBox 360.

I know people like to complain about Nintendo going after rom sites but they really only went after one site that was hosting roms on US servers and we're using Nintendo copyright owned media to advertise their site (Mario art work). Other sites that shut down or just stopped hosting Nintendo roms did so on their own volition, not by a threat from Nintendo. Also EmuParadise still has rom sets and roms, just check their forums.

For people more into it like ourslesves it might be easier but for your average person, people just starting up after buying a Pi or somehting its nowhere near as easy as it was. It's all ad filled, download a game on some dodgy hosting 'pay to download fast' crap now. Some sites even charge to just download altogether. They used to be way more clean sites.

I know many sites to get my stuff, the Internet Archive like you said for example. It's a fantastic site. I used the script for Emuparadise after it shut down but I got pretty much everything I needed off that so dont bother with it anymore. Tbf Arcade Punks and piggies sets gave me more old obscure systems than anything else. IA has helped massivle though with getting manulas, bios files, covers and various packs. These are sites I became aware of after getting deeper into it and knowing what I was lookign for.

Anyway rather than go aorund in circles with you saying its easy and me saying it isnt as easy as it was in the past, let's just agree to disagree on that issue. We both have our opinions which is cool. We both love Retro gaming, we can agree on that :)

Nice collection! How large is your images folder and would you be interested in uploading it?

Not trying to advertise but you should check out my releases I've got over a dozen platforms - Wolf mods doom mods

Future pinball some art and media stuff , Touhou and touhou related platforms click on my avatar and check em out.

Most are quick drag and drop installs literally take seconds, I also am big on artwork everything should have a box front and clear logo

and video snap at minimum.

22 hours ago, lou silver said:

Nice collection! How large is your images folder and would you be interested in uploading it?

Not trying to advertise but you should check out my releases I've got over a dozen platforms - Wolf mods doom mods

Future pinball some art and media stuff , Touhou and touhou related platforms click on my avatar and check em out.

Most are quick drag and drop installs literally take seconds, I also am big on artwork everything should have a box front and clear logo

and video snap at minimum.

I actually added your Doom Mods to my set up. I'll check out your other stuff.

My image file is 118gb. I dont mind uploading it to my Dropbox if you want it.

Edited by cliffyb73

4 hours ago, cliffyb73 said:

I actually added your Doom Mods to my set up. I'll check out your other stuff.

My image file is 118gb. I dont mind uploading it to my Dropbox if you want it.

Yeah that's kinda large I wouldn't want to tie up your internet but I appreciate the offer.

Be sure to check out my Wolf Mods I went all out on it lots of artwork and extra stuff.