LaunchBox Community Forums

Error when importing with MAME Arcade Full Set Wizard

Kiinkyfoxx

Hi everyone,

As per the title I keep getting an error when trying to import the MAME full set - I have already run the importer before when set up originally and would normally update every month, however I haven't done it for a few months and when I tried with Mame 229 and LaunchBox 11.9 I kept getting an error.

I decided not to worry about it until the next Mame update in case it was an issue at my end, so today a fresh new install of Mame and tried again but still getting the same error.

I have stand alone Mame, which loads fine, the roms I already have also load fine, it works from a playing point of view I just cannot update the rom set with in LaunchBox using the Mame importer anymore.

Have also tried a fresh install of Launchbox in a different location but again no luck

Below is the error report and at the bottom is a picture

Data at the root level is invalid, line 5629245, position 1.

Anyone got any ideas for me please and thank you in advance for your time and effort

Kind regards

image.thumb.png.17fef7fb66900f5dce799ce7a7bcd9fd.png

Hi @Retro808

Thanks for that suggestion, and I have just tried it but unfortunately I got the same error again.

If I run re-install LaunchBox 11.8 from the updates folder into a separate location and then run the importer in 11.8 it all works, which is a work around, and I would think I could then just move the Arcade and Playlist xmls to the 11.9 folder location.

I suppose its needing to know which bit of code is at that line, and therefore which specific bit of data is invalid, and then figure out what on my end is causing that error to occur, would I be correct in assuming that only the developers would know what that line relates to or is there a way to review it? (by someone much cleverer than me who might actually understand it all)

From memory 11.9 is when the new system was introduced for MAME so that the game list could be taken from MAME and not need to wait for the database to be updated? Not that waiting is an issue, and fingers crossed this might get solved for me when 11.10 comes out of beta.

Hi @C-Beats

I have had the trouble with standalone Mame 0.229 and also the new Mame 0.230 both direct from the Mame site, including downloading it via LaunchBox on a trial fresh install. (not using no nag or any other adapations)

The rom set is updated to Mame 0.230 and all works inside Mame, the last time I updated via the Wizard at a guess would have been Mame 0.227 and in the previous version of LaunchBox

I have tried fresh install of LaunchBox in a different location and with fresh installs of Mame 0.229 and Mame 0.230 but get the same error

I have also tired renaming Mame.exe to Mame64.exe but still keep hitting the same problem, and changing the pathway for the emulator.

I do have a couple of files within Mame set to read only to stop controller layouts changing (only just thought of that-so not sure if that would be an issue-but then again the fresh install wouldn't have the files or anything set to read only so that might be useless information)

Thank you for your help

Edited by Kiinkyfoxx

I would do the following:
1) Turn on debug logging it not on already
2) In the import screen when asked what emulator to use make sure the emulator you are picking is pointing to the right MAME file
3) Run the import again.
4) If the import fails go to \\LaunchBox\Logs\ and open the most recent log and see if there is any more details to the error in that file

Hi @C-Beats

1)Turned it on now

2)Yes it is-assuming it mame.exe in the mame folder that I should be pointing at?

3)Have done 

4)Failed with same reference

I have attached the debug file below as hopefully it will help you to help me

The below bit was where I managed to set MAME as the emulator but obviously not correctly after checking the edit box so it didn't register it - I went back and corrected it and then got the final error at the bottom which is the data line reference error it first showed

021-04-01 06:43:20 PM FIRST CHANCE EXCEPTION: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.ViewModels.MameFullSetWizardParseViewModel.DefineInvalidGlobal(Object )

Thank you for your help with this issue.

Debug 2021-04-01 06-42-10 PM.log

@Kiinkyfoxx Believe the executable should be a mame64.exe not mame.exe. Basically we are doing a command line call against that application and it reads like the XML file isn't formatted correctly when it gets it. Only time I've seen that happen is on unofficial MAME executables (though I admit I am not as well versed as most on this forums in regard to MAME).

Since MAME 0.229 the executable supplied in the Mame download has been just mame.exe and the 64 part has been done away with.

I have tried renaming it to mame64.exe but still get the same issue.

Any other ideas?

Thank you

Edit - Sorry this comes across as quite short - that's because I tested it quickly whilst cooking dinner and just wanted to answer for clarification and to let know I had tried that.

Edited by Kiinkyfoxx

At this point I'm not sure the best way to proceed. You could potential create the xml file yourself that we parse and make sure it outputs correctly but I sincerely doubt that the official build has any problems doing so. To dump the XML file simply run the command line:

mame -listxml > listdump.xml

So I have run the command and got an error in my ini file - corrected that error and then retried the command and it produced the listdump.xml

Tried the import again but still getting the same error 

Can I use that list dump somewhere? I notice a temp folder is made inside the metadata folder in LaunchBox when I try the import. Does it need to go there and have a specific name?

Cheers

I am using Mame 0.230 now as that was my original thought and why I didn't bother about it

However looking at the above xml I have seen that I have this at the problem line

19:52:32.178    00006904    devreorder: Calling hooked DirectInput8Create

I use Devreorder system wide to control the order that my system recognises controllers, could that be causing the issue and explain why only happening here? 

However I do admit to being completely beyond my very small knowledge here and might be completely unhelpful

Edit 

To answer your question the error was

Illegal boolean value for dual_lightgun: "I"; reverting to 0

but I changed the ini file to correct that

Edited by Kiinkyfoxx

5 minutes ago, Kiinkyfoxx said:

I am using Mame 0.230 now as that was my original thought and why I didn't bother about it

However looking at the above xml I have seen that I have this at the problem line

19:52:32.178    00006904    devreorder: Calling hooked DirectInput8Create

I use Devreorder system wide to control the order that my system recognises controllers, could that be causing the issue and explain why only happening here? 

However I do admit to being completely beyond my very small knowledge here and might be completely unhelpful

Edit 

To answer your question the error was

Illegal boolean value for dual_lightgun: "I"; reverting to 0

but I changed the ini file to correct that

It's hard to tell 100% since I've never used that software, but yes, it sounds like you're on the right track with what the issue is there. If MAME is giving you an error when we're trying to run that command line, then that error will need to be resolved before MAME will work in the importer.

Hi Jason

Thanks for the help. 

Mame runs fine and the roms play, it's just the importer that I get the error in. 

Have corrected the ini file and can produce the xml as per C-Beats instructions. That is how I was able to finally find that number line in a Xml

Is there anyway of using that manually created xml with the importer at all? Maybe replacing the file in the temp folder that the importer produces? 

I assume I would need to tidy the xml up and remove the lines that cause the error within Launchbox. 

I understand this isn't a Launchbox issue because it is related to my specific system and if needs be I can try to disable devreorder and then retry the importer. 

Just now, Kiinkyfoxx said:

Hi Jason

Thanks for the help. 

Mame runs fine and the roms play, it's just the importer that I get the error in. 

Have corrected the ini file and can produce the xml as per C-Beats instructions. That is how I was able to finally find that number line in a Xml

Is there anyway of using that manually created xml with the importer at all? Maybe replacing the file in the temp folder that the importer produces? 

I assume I would need to tidy the xml up and remove the lines that cause the error within Launchbox. 

I understand this isn't a Launchbox issue because it is related to my specific system and if needs be I can try to disable devreorder and then retry the importer. 

I see. Unfortunately I don't think it'll currently be possible to force LaunchBox to use the tweaked version of the XML. The problem is that it tries to create that file and use it all in one step. So I don't think there's a way to override it. So I think the best option would be to temporarily disable devreorder and try again.