LaunchBox Community Forums

Super Gameboy should be listed as a platform

darreldearth

I've had super gameboy as a platform in launchbox for years now but it's not something that was able to be officially scrapped through the database. Now that there's actual videos and cart art it seems like it would make sense to list it as a platform in the database so the art could all be downloaded easily through the launchbox downloader. Most of the metadata information would just be a copy and paste of gameboy, but the artwork would all be different. Might also encourage people to add more artwork as well. Just a thought. 

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Its not a platform though, its a addon for one platform to allow you to play another platform, both of which are in our database, but in reality, this is simply Gameboy and nothing more than that, If people cared that much there must be image packs out there for these, which could be easily added to Launchbox. At the end of the day though Super Gameboy is simply Gameboy, just being run on other hardware, it's really no different to running Gamecube games on a Wii, and i dont see people requesting a "Nintendo Gamecube on Nintendo Wii" platform.

4 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Its not a platform though, its a addon for one platform to allow you to play another platform, both of which are in our database, but in reality, this is simply Gameboy and nothing more than that, If people cared that much there must be image packs out there for these, which could be easily added to Launchbox. At the end of the day though Super Gameboy is simply Gameboy, just being run on other hardware, it's really no different to running Gamecube games on a Wii, and i dont see people requesting a "Nintendo Gamecube on Nintendo Wii" platform.

the challenge is a bit higher. half of the games are GambeBoy Games and the other half is from the GameBoy Color palette. this makes the matching with the GamesDB a bit more exhausting 🙂  

I have Super Game Boy as its own platform in my local database. What I've done is import first all SGB enhanced GB games using "Scrape as.. Nintendo Game Boy" and then the same with the SGB enhanced GBC games and changing the "Scrape as... Game Boy Color". There's at least Wario Land II which has both version, so that needed importing separately using the add button:

Untitled-1.thumb.png.cecceadfd4aee0b250d2a35697b72e54.png

Thankfully Emumovies gameplay videos download the Super Game Boy videos versions, I guess there's some nice coding that looks at the Platform name for scraping?

EDIT: Bonus, if anyone needs the Extra command-Line Parameter for Retroarch / BSNES.

"E:\Emulators\LaunchBox\Emulators\Super Game Boy 2 (Japan).sfc" --subsystem sgb

(path can be anywhere pointing the ROM/BIOS of the Super Game Boy).

Edited by kurzih
  • Like 2

@neil9000 Well as I originally mentioned theres a significant amount of art for super gameboy as well as videos which could be synced from emumovies, which is worth making it its own platform for syncing simplicity alone. Yes it's just an attachment to super nintendo, but the logic for adding it as a platform isn't about weather it's an "actual platform", it's simply to make it easy for people to download and organize their artwork and videos. It would also encourage people to make new art. Can't see the downside to making things easier🤷‍♂️

Edited by darreldearth
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/7/2022 at 3:31 PM, neil9000 said:

Playing Game Boy games on Super Game Boy is not quite comparable to Gamecube on Wii or Playstation on Playstation 2.

Those games got quite a few extras:

- switching color palettes

- (sometimes switching) background art

- stereo sound

- local multiplayer

And probably some other neat stuff, take Space Invaders for a prime example.

• Like 1