LaunchBox Community Forums

Platforms background

alvinicoogh

2 hours ago, alvinicoogh said:

Please help me, I'm a real noob!

With all big box themes I can't display a background with the platform choice.

What I have to do?

Thanks a lot

20210405_105510.jpg

Not completely sure what you're trying to do, but if you want a picture-background for each platform, you need to put the image (jpg or png) of your choice in the following folder (using the Nintendo NES as an example): 

C:\Launchbox\Images\Platforms\Nintendo Entertainment System\Fanart\nes.jpg

Note: the image file name can be anything you want

11 minutes ago, alvinicoogh said:

Thanks @bundangdon, but I tried put the image downloaded into the directories you told me, I changed theme and refreshed properties, but no background is displayed.

Is there any settings that I have to change?

16176332023105848085549062798572.jpg

That is Bigbox, what background is shown there is dictated by the themes code, you cant just drop in images like that. They would either need to be very specifically named and overwrite the actual themes images, or put in specific folders, and then changing your image priorities in Launchbox, which would likely break more things than it fixes. Best bet is to get your fingers dirty and edit the themes code manually. I cant help there though as im not a coder and do not know xaml.

29 minutes ago, alvinicoogh said:

Thanks @bundangdon, but I tried put the image downloaded into the directories you told me, I changed theme and refreshed properties, but no background is displayed.

There is a Big Box option that controls the visibility of those as well (though what Neil said is usually the cause). In Big Box Options in the Images section there should be a line item called "Show Platform Fanart Images" (or something similar) make sure that box is checked.

32 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

There is a Big Box option that controls the visibility of those as well (though what Neil said is usually the cause). In Big Box Options in the Images section there should be a line item called "Show Platform Fanart Images" (or something similar) make sure that box is checked.

The option is checked

4 hours ago, alvinicoogh said:

Looks like you are using a theme in the screenshot that probably utilizes Videos in the background. You'll want to download those videos in LaunchBox via:

Tools > Download Platform/Playlist Videos

image.thumb.png.ac78cf27561a332cc93572c97b359102.png

8 hours ago, alvinicoogh said:

You'll need to use a BigBox theme that allows you to use a platform image in the background. There are a lot out there to choose from, but I'd try using the "Retrofresh" theme and see how well that one suits you. Here you go

RetroFresh - Big Box Custom Themes - LaunchBox Community Forums (launchbox-app.com)

6 hours ago, bundangdon said:

You'll need to use a BigBox theme that allows you to use a platform image in the background. There are a lot out there to choose from, but I'd try using the "Retrofresh" theme and see how well that one suits you. Here you go

RetroFresh - Big Box Custom Themes - LaunchBox Community Forums (launchbox-app.com)

I installed retrofresh, followed all the instructions, but the result is the same.. no background, as you can see in the pictures attached.

My directories LaunchBox/Images/Platforms/... are empty inside Fanart, the same in the themes folders.

I tried to put inside Fanart the background images downloaded and allowed them in the big box options, but nothing happened.

I don't want to do a new installation, but it seems to be the last option.

Any new ideas?

Thanks for your help.

20210406_070306.jpg

20210406_070225.jpg

20210406_070245.jpg

You shouldn't need to do a re-install, as I don't think that would solve the problem. I think there's a step missing somewhere. Also, I am pretty certain that with RetroFresh, it uses videos not images for that particular view (wheels). Although you should see images (platform artwork) with the text-list view. By any chance, did you set this in BigBox options? (see below)

image.thumb.png.21794ee0573a85743adefd76a75f1586.png

If that still doesn't work, let me know.

Edited by bundangdon

30 minutes ago, bundangdon said:

You shouldn't need to do a re-install, as I don't think that would solve the problem. I think there's a step missing somewhere. Also, I am pretty certain that with RetroFresh, it uses videos not images for that particular view (wheels). Although you should see images (platform artwork) with the text-list view. By any chance, did you set this in BigBox options? (see below)

image.thumb.png.21794ee0573a85743adefd76a75f1586.png

If that still doesn't work, let me know.

Yes I did it in every step that I described before.

I can't find anywhere (directories) the platform background images, it seems like they are not downloaded. But it's only my opinion, maybe wrong.

9 minutes ago, bundangdon said:

It should look something like this, (in the appropriate folder for each system) as shown below. But you'll have to put your own image there, as I did with "nes.png" in this folder

example.thumb.jpg.60856cbae0e695b96bbb8940d7ef23d5.jpg

I did it, with the fanart option checked, but nothing apperas

Like already stated, you need some videos, most themes play videos on the platform screen, and im pretty sure both the themes you have shown are themes like that. You need to pick a theme you like the look of, and probably just forget about using your own art. Themes are designed with specific aesthetic styles and have there own art or require videos to play in the menus. If a theme is designed to use a specific piece of art, or Videos on the platform screens it doesnt matter where you put art or what options you change, if the theme is not designed so show user supplied artwork, then it wont. Also its worth adding that themes have there own image folders, and IF a theme supports using your own, it should really go in the themes folder not the global one as that may break other themes visual style by showing completely unrelated artwork that looks bad.

2 hours ago, alvinicoogh said:

I did it, with the fanart option checked, but nothing apperas

What you should try doing is browse around the themes section in the downloads area here, take a look at the various themes available, and find one which includes platform artwork as a background. Coming from my own personal experience, I've discovered there are actually a lot that will allow you to do so, but you'll have to give each theme a try and see which one suits you best. Another one that comes to mind is the BigBox theme "Aeon MQ7"

Update:

Also, I just checked the "Default" theme which is included with BigBox and realized that it also allows you to use platform fanart in the background. Keep in mind, these are images and not videos being used in the background

Edited by bundangdon

I am new too, but guessing you haven't downloaded the art from emumovies, when you import it should ask you. However you must have a membership, and a premium membership to get the videos.  Of course you can use your own and add manually.  Not sure that what is going on, but that is my guess.