LaunchBox Community Forums

How do i force big box to use custom images?

ModerateNOOB

Hi community.

I'm in the middle of perfecting my big-box setup for the NES, But i am having problems adding images to certain games. Been digging into where to place images in folders to get them to show in Big-box, I'm in the middle of adding gameplay screenshots, But no matter which folder i place them in, They will not show up when selecting "Some" games?

1. i tried all folders in the Launchbox/Images/Nintendo entertainment system/Screenshot-gameplay directory.

2. Refreshed the image cache.

3. Tried to force-populate the images in Big-Box.

4. Priortised Screenshot gameplay in Launchbox

5. Made sure it is a jpg/Png image

6. Made sure the image is named exactly as the rom file in Launchbox (I always copy/Paste the names).

Thank's for taking your time.

Edited by ModerateNOOB

Is it always the same games that are missing the images?

Game play images go in the \Images\[Platform Name]\Screenshot - Gameplay\ folder. So that is the right spot. You said you name the image after the rom so try naming the image as the game is named in LB. This is the default way LB will name the image. It can read images named after the rom, however I would try the default way and see if there is any change.

Another test would be right click one of those games and edit. Then in the images page drag and drop your image. Select Screenshot - Gameplay as the image type and let LB store and name it correctly. Then test and see if the images show up.

21 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Game play images go in the \Images\[Platform Name]\Screenshot - Gameplay\ folder. So that is the right spot. You said you name the image after the rom so try naming the image as the game is named in LB. This is the default way LB will name the image. It can read images named after the rom, however I would try the default way and see if there is any change.

This came to my mind a few minutes after i posted my issue, But sadly it is named exactly the same in Launchbox's database.

I can clarify that i'm talking about the NES title named Arkanoid II or Arkanoid II Revenge of doh, But the database justt refers it as Arkanoid II.

My image is not just named after the rom, But also the actual file inside the zip file, My front box cover, The cartridge image and the fanart background image.

Maybe i have to name all of them in Japanese as it is a famicom rom ?, Nah!! i think. But i'm pretty damn clueless at the moment.

2 minutes ago, ModerateNOOB said:

This came to my mind a few minutes after i posted my issue, But sadly it is named exactly the same in Launchbox's database.

I can clarify that i'm talking about the NES title named Arkanoid II or Arkanoid II Revenge of doh, But the database justt refers it as Arkanoid II.

My image is not just named after the rom, But also the actual file inside the zip file, My front box cover, The cartridge image and the fanart background image.

Maybe i have to name all of them in Japanese as it is a famicom rom ?, Nah!! i think. But i'm pretty damn clueless at the moment.

It should be named the way you have it named within your LaunchBox library (changing illegal characters to underscores_). You should also add numbers to the end: Arkanoid II-01.

But one way you can get used to adding images is just through the game's edit window in LaunchBox. Go into Media > Images, click Add Image. Then once it's added make sure you assign it the correct tag.

image.thumb.png.8f58c5e1da06c908242c04ddb6b8fc00.png

Yes it is probably an easier way to add images that way, I have to get myself used to it i guess.

So i went into Launchbox and deleted 3 unnecessary  images and added the renames image Arkanoid II-01 to the list from the Japanese folder in the screenshot-gameplay library, didn't make any change sadly.

What puzzles me is that there is no problem with the box-art or cartridge image at all.

33 minutes ago, ModerateNOOB said:

In short the only name that matters is how the game is named inside your LB set-up. As mentioned LB does work with rom names. However if you name it after the rom inside the zip and the zip file is a different name that will not work as LB is attaching the image to the game file you have linked and that typically is the zip file name.

I mentioned the drag and drop option and @faeran posted pics of the same steps. I recommend following this option as it will ensure the image is named correctly and place in the correct folder if you select the Screenshot - Gameplay tag.

Thank's everyone for replying, But i simply can't figure out the reason for the image not showing?.

I also tried the Launchbox method, Before i began all of this troubleshooting, Launchbox already had found images for Arkanoid II.

But big-box is apparently stubborn.

1 minute ago, ModerateNOOB said:

I'm just using the "unified" theme, And it has no problems showing screenshots from other games.

That's the strange bit????.

Have you tried setting a key to "change image type" Some themes are hard coded to show a specific image type, others let you choose by cycling image types with a button. Could be this theme allows you to choose and its currently set to the wrong image type.