LaunchBox Community Forums

Import MAME non-FULL set?

vaderag

48 minutes ago, vaderag said:

Okay, now I'm even more confused...

You, and everyone else (I'm sure).

Ran some tests using some obscure options [a feeble attempt at 'process of elimination'].

• LaunchBox v11.3
  • Created 4 (0 kb) txt files and renamed them to the 4 tmnt...zip files
  • Tools, Import Rom Files
  • Selected the 4 individual files (Add Files)
  • Platform = "Nintendo 64"
  • Emulator = "Redream"
  • Use files in their current location
  • Un-checked Search for game info from the LB db
  • Select None (for both media options)
  • Check Force importing duplicates
  • Check Force using MAME metadata
  • Check Import all clones.  Prioritize Japan.  Uncheck everything else

And I got this

image.thumb.png.d3455ae6930aee0a9456f7bfea85bede.png

and then... successfully imported 4 games.

I also tested with a drag & drop into 'Nintendo 64', with the same [obscure] options as above and 'successfully imported 4 games.'

I know it doesn't give you any answers on how to fix your situation.  But it does indicate something's really screwed up.  I mean, you can't really make any more "wrong" selections, and yet it still worked (for me).

I was hoping that using off-the-wall options to import would help shed some light. But as they say.. "no joy".

• Haha 1

Ahhh...could be your version. I am on betas and in recent betas the team added some updates to rom importing.

On 9/1/2021 at 4:09 PM, faeran said:

Hi everyone. The 11.18 Beta 1 is now out with the following changes:

• Fixed: The ROM import wizard wasn't always importing all games when using MAME metadata (the full-set importer was unaffected)
  • The Cake is a Lie 1

26 minutes ago, faeran said:

Yes, there's some fixes in the beta for this. 

@vaderag You can upgrade to the beta and see if that fixes your issue, or wait until it gets officially released.

Ahhh

That helps! 

Silly question perhaps, but if i update to the beta then import, can I get myself out of the beta ring?

Also, how do I actually get the beta?

2 minutes ago, vaderag said:

Ahhh

That helps! 

Silly question perhaps, but if i update to the beta then import, can I get myself out of the beta ring?

Also, how do I actually get the beta?

Opt into beta within LaunchBox Options, under Updates. It should prompt you to update shortly after.

If you then uncheck the beta option, you won't be prompted to update to another beta again.

16 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

Did you import the Folder, or just those 4?  If just those 4, maybe try Scan for Added ROMs?

image.thumb.png.e12cd4d05577f0631c562131c57fb5b3.png

Oh, the folder. 

Those 4 have worked in the beta. As separate entities as expected. Very bizarre

I'm wondering if there is some way to easily remove additional clones / files that don't exist?

e.g. if i went back to my old install (with the 2932), expanded all games (which will give me a TON of dupes as it's a full set import), then somehow clear out the ones that don't physically exist?

Edited by vaderag

1 hour ago, vaderag said:

clear out the ones that don't physically exist?

Right below Scan for Added ROMs, there's Scan for Removed ROMs. ;) 

Since you're on the beta which seems to be working as expected for you, it might be easiest for you to delete your Arcade Platform and start over.  When deleting it, click NO when it asks if you want to delete the media (images).  Second prompt I believe.  Then Import by either:

A)  Select Tools, Import, ROM Files and Add Folder.  Select your G:/LaunchBox/Roms/MAME/ folder

B)  Drag and drop all the files from your /Roms/MAME/ folder

C)  Select Tools, Import, MAME Arcade Full Set.  When asked for the folder, point to your /Roms/MAME/ folder.  When the Import is complete, run Tools, Scan for Removed Roms, For Arcade.

For all 3 options, select None when asked which images to import. (Assuming you already had the images from before.)  And then later, you can add the ones that are missing.

43 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

Right below Scan for Added ROMs, there's Scan for Removed ROMs. ;) 

Since you're on the beta which seems to be working as expected for you, it might be easiest for you to delete your Arcade Platform and start over.  When deleting it, click NO when it asks if you want to delete the media (images).  Second prompt I believe.  Then Import by either:

A)  Select Tools, Import, ROM Files and Add Folder.  Select your G:/LaunchBox/Roms/MAME/ folder

B)  Drag and drop all the files from your /Roms/MAME/ folder

C)  Select Tools, Import, MAME Arcade Full Set.  When asked for the folder, point to your /Roms/MAME/ folder.  When the Import is complete, run Tools, Scan for Removed Roms, For Arcade.

For all 3 options, select None when asked which images to import. (Assuming you already had the images from before.)  And then later, you can add the ones that are missing.

Thanks. So I've already tried the clean install and it seems to be missing some

I just tried the scan for removed suggestion in my old LB setup and oddly now I'm matching the number in the other clean install

So what it seems is that despite me extracting using Launchbox (which had imported using a full set), a subset of that extraction now appear invisible to launchbox, even though it recognises them as part of the full set import... 

Very very strange

Hmm, so working my way through manually to see what hasn't imported from the Roms folder (i.e. been ignored) - I'm down to C but it's a painful process... anyway got the following which are in the root folder but have not imported into Launchbox via the Rom import

acchi.zip (Janken Game Acchi Muite Hoi! (Japan 1.3) - MAME machine (arcadeitalia.net))
auslalom.zip (Autoslalom - MAME machine (arcadeitalia.net))
bm3.zip (Beatmania III - MAME machine (arcadeitalia.net))
brainbaf.zip (Brain Baffler - MAME machine (arcadeitalia.net))
brkball.zip (Break Ball - MAME machine (arcadeitalia.net))

Now, none of these I'm particularly going to lose sleep over not being there, (in fact at least one should have been excluded in my original setup import where I told it to remove screenless etc) but seems an odd selection with no common ground to be missing, especially since I'm telling it to skip nothing on import