LaunchBox Community Forums

New seperate Plattform | Only for Light Gun Games. How can i do this?

TJ_on_Launchbox

Hello Launchbox Fans,

I want my Light Gun Games shown in Big Box on a separate Plattform next to my other Systems like Playstation 1, Super Nintendo etc, when i scroll through the Wheel and have a own Plattform only for my Light Gun Games.

Just exactly like in this Video. Please check the 23 Second Mark.

How can i do this?

Yesterday i created a new Plattform calles "Light Gun Games" but it doesn´t show it in Launchbox. Like it has never been created which was very odd.

How can i create a separate Plattform called "Light Gun Games"?
How can i link my Light Gun Games from other Systems to be shown under this Plattform?

For example:
I have the Game Point Blank already which i can choose when i click my Playstation 1 System.

I want this Game now also be shown under the Plattform "Light Gun Games". How can i link it?

Thank you

Since the games already exist in a platform you cannot create a new platform and have the games show in there as well. You have to create a “Playlist” to do this. 

Games can only exists in one “Platform” but they can show in as many “Playlists” as you like. 

If you make sure all light gun games have the genre of Light Gun Game you can create a playlist and have it auto-populate for that genre. It will then list all games from your platforms that meet that criteria. 

To make a playlist:

In LB right click over a platform name in the left hand pane. Select "Add" > "New Playlist".

Name the playlist what you want in the details tab. At the bottom is a check box if you want the playlist to show up in your platforms. Check it if you want. I leave mine unchecked as I have all playlists show up only under a "Playlists" platform category.

If you go to the "Parents" tab you can further refine where you want the playlist to show up.

1245789675_ScreenShot2021-12-14at2_40_50PM.thumb.png.ba7bd8a3a385442e763715c4f20856a7.png

Then go to the "Auto-Populate" tab. There you can basically set what you want it to pull. I make sure all my light gun games have genre of "Shooter / Gun". So I set the auto-populate to "Genre" "Is Equal to" "Shooter / Gun".

957414627_ScreenShot2021-12-14at2_40_29PM.thumb.png.9cc16e0590809a0376abdd4784cd42a3.png

OMG
I hope this is the Solution to what i have been looking for.
That would be really Great. I have to try it on the Weekend when i have the Time because i have to concentrate to make no mistakes.
Thank you so much. I will report if that was the Solution to what i was looking for.
:)

Edited by TJ_on_Launchbox

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It works.. It doesn't seem that the games are actually curated to the point where they show up as light gun games.  You seem to have to go through and manually add each one into the "gun" section.  I believe they are (mostly) set to "Shooter" which encompasses a HOOOGE amount of Galaga type games.

13 hours ago, adam1972 said:

It works.. It doesn't seem that the games are actually curated to the point where they show up as light gun games.  You seem to have to go through and manually add each one into the "gun" section.  I believe they are (mostly) set to "Shooter" which encompasses a HOOOGE amount of Galaga type games.

If you are just referring to Arcade games, and you've used the arcade full set importer, all light gun games should be categorized under Shooter / Gun. There's an automatic arcade playlist that LB can create for you as well if you right click the Arcade platform (while under Platform Categories) and choose to Create Missing Arcade/MAME Playlists.

For other platforms you could use the filter button to filter by Controller Support > Light Gun, and create playlists based off of that.

• Like 1

Thank you for that.  I just downloaded a xml file on the boards that a nice guy went to the trouble of creating.  I never use the full set importer, way too many games that never seem to get filtered through.  I curate them before hand and eliminate certain game types.  
The light gun support.. I totally forgot about that option!  
I tried it on everything and it works.. kinda.. Looks like Area51 doesn't show up! (haven't checked what others lol) and apparently games like Lemmings on the SNES had light gun support as an easter egg hehehe... Still better than where I know I was before :)  Appreciated :) 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi, i'm doing this too manually one by one.

But under playlist Light Gun Games, it's possible insert other playlist for example Sony Playstation 1, Sega Dreamcast, MAME etc...

So games are separated for platforms and not all mixed.

I think it's impossible to do this. You confim ?

Thanks.

*Can you attach xml complete please ? How many games contains ?

23 hours ago, marcosgaming said:

I think it's impossible to do this. You confim ?

it's impossible, you cannot put a playlist under a playlist.

playlists can go at the root level, or under a category or platform.

Some potential ways to set this up

-Light Gun games (category)

--Sony Playstation (Playlist)

--Sega Dreamcast (Playlist)

and so on...

or if starting with platform...

-Light Gun games (platform)

--Sony Playstation (Playlist)

--Sega Dreamcast (Playlist)

and so on...

• Like 1