LaunchBox Community Forums

Custom Control Panel Art Files for Platforms and Games

SrfrBoyBobby

I was trying different designs, wile doing so it dawned on me. I'm trying to figure out how you made your wood panel file you shared on here, how you have it so organized with the totable layers. Cause if I could figure out for every button having a togable switch more or less, then instead having to line things up properly, I could just flick a few switches and boom, all color coded the way it needs to be. I try dragging the buttons over other buttons but a lot of times I find that the color underneath pokes out. If I erase some and just put some down, there not measured right. How are you so pin point with your designs?

I’m away from the arcade for awhile but I can point you in the right direction. I built the original art on in illustrator with measured out guides lines. You can reorganize the groups and layers to make each button more self contained then set your move tool to group instead of layer. This will keep all the elements together. Use guides and snap to functions to help keep consistency and more use the top bar to put in exact coordinates. 

Well i was thinking 1 side woukd be fine in most cases sence 90 percent of the time everyones buttons are lit the same color. I think boiling down to it theres still much for me to learn. I got canvas sizing and free form all figured out in photoshop. I just love your templet you made tho. 

Being able to togle the background or switch out the background to the buttons being there. Its so smooth like that. I know what im a bout to mention is alot of frigen work which is why im trying to figure it out my self

Each stick to have a layer

1. no arrows

2.  2 arrows left and right 2way

3. 4way

4. 8way

5  full circle arrow for anologue 

It would be so cool to toggle it like you had me do with the wood background. It would be sooooooo dam fast to bang out all the game controls. The buttons would be even more tedious. You have some great options there for sher. But if I could figure out layer by layer adding the whole rainbow and each button isnt conected to one comand, it would be like flicking switches to make these mappings. 

But all in all i will keep on learning the ins and outs of photo shop. Theres lots of features im still not utilizing. That snap thing you mentioned may help 2

I got a plan to be more helpful for you. I'm gonna mess with power point. I got a wonderful idea. So you said the box art and back and cart are too close. I'm wondering like your simpson's video on the marquee that blew my mind, If I use power point to have it transition from a box art page on one screen. Then have one dedicated to the controls, and use obs studio to record it. It would allow for the pannel designs and stuff you did to not get so cluttered and have it sit on a page for say 15 seconds or so then transition to the controls

Wow man I owe you big time. Very amazing stuff! I'm gonna post some concepts on here. Its been a crazy week here and I wont truly be able to sit down and do this till friday, but I truly am so grateful. I have really really bad anxiety, had a very rough child hood, and your really helping me get out of my bubble. Thank you so much for all the help!!! This is gonna be so amazing

• Like 1

No problem,  I’m glad I could help. Can’t wait to see your concepts and I hope the video will help give you the footing to make any adjustments you need to the file.

I had a lot of family health stuff come up about 5 years ago and we are still fighting through things but I see the light. I use my arcade to “tune out” and focus on different things. A community like launchbox has really help me and I like to contribute to maybe help others. 

Dam straight. I use to just play games and tone out the noise. Was really unhealthy. I got non epileptic phycosis seizures and ptsd from my child hood. Baisicly if I got upset, or even to excited, Id go into a violent seizure. after having that for 10 years, therapy taught me to rewire my brain and I have gone a year with out them now. Launchbox was a huge part of that. Instead of stressing out and goin into one, Id say lets bang out some lights, or lets fix some art work or what ever I need to do on here. It never ends but I love it cause it just keeps growing and growing into an amazing project. Its Just so much more predictive then playing and you got something to show off and be so proud of. Its done wonders for me. Im glad you see the light. Took me a long time to find it. Hope nothing for the best for you 

Edited by RedHoodRobin64
  • Thanks 1

So Il kinda give you a sneak peak of what ive been planning to do with the marquee. A lot of arcade games have amazing control instructions in the demo screen. This is one of my favorites, I used obs studio to record this demo screen and trimmed it up into snip bits. I thought it would be really cool to use the tools you gave me to say what the controls do, combine that with the marquee image, videos I trimmed, and make a really cool marquee video that's fun to watch. I gotta head out in a sec but gotta say your video could not have been explained better. Theres just one more thing for me to learn. Video editing. Im not sure if I should just use power point or if I should look for a video editing software

I hadn’t thought about using obs for that. I was trying to figure out which route to go. I think the video marquee collection I linked had power point files in it like you were mentioning using. I might mess with that. 

I used to edit but I was using Avid nitrous system through my old job and unfortunately don’t have access anymore. A lot of people use Adobe premier the last I checked. Really tho I like the cheesy power point transitions and it might be enough to edit with. I feel it really captures the 90’s vibe. That’s kinda my golden era of running around in the arcades.