LaunchBox Community Forums

Custom Control Panel Art Files for Platforms and Games

SrfrBoyBobby

7 hours ago, SrfrBoyBobby said:

Im not as worried about the leds burning out as mentioned because I would just replace it. It would bug me to much but if you built one that didn’t have leds I can see that. Having all the buttons visible whether they are illuminated or not is a good middle ground in my opinion. 

You know the other prob I just ran into? his sugestion with all the buttons on there will confuse players because what about buttons that are lit white? Umk3 is what i'm working on right now and its gonna be confusing to have one with a logo next to it and look the same as a turned off one

44 minutes ago, RedHoodRobin64 said:

You know the other prob I just ran into? his sugestion with all the buttons on there will confuse players because what about buttons that are lit white? Umk3 is what i'm working on right now and its gonna be confusing to have one with a logo next to it and look the same as a turned off one

You can make the unused buttons a grey color, but clearly a user looking at the image will know the others are not used since you have no labels for them. Just input from a visual perspective. Either have the image look balanced or leave a lot of negative space. Just do not overthink it.

A quick edit adding a mild drop shadow and shifting controls right a bit and made the unused buttons more gray. It honestly works either way, for me though that huge negative space without them would bug me. Yours is the 3rd one so you can see the alignment difference.

TestMarquee.thumb.jpg.c5da2f2140bda2b1e8d6eb26166c86ee.jpg

TestMarquee2.thumb.jpg.6593b24468bd3d3d43a8a7f43481e861.jpg

97670803_AlienVsPredatorProto3.png.c9f17cbbffa97d0776265524e23d8a53.png

8 hours ago, SrfrBoyBobby said:

Im not as worried about the leds burning out as mentioned because I would just replace it.

Same, but having worked in Risk Management for over 25 years my brain is hard wired to think of "what can go wrong" and put in things to work to cover if/when it does go wrong. In the middle of hanging out with friends or a big party I am not taking time to fix any leds or have LEDBLinky fail and bother trying to fix it. LOL.

It’s funny how our careers can influence our cabinets. I work in lighting and build a lot of LED fixtures. That’s part of the reason I would respond the way I mentioned. Just though that was a cool tidbit.

RedHoodRobin64 you can turn on the “black” color layer and it might give the greyed out look due to the layer being set to overlay. If that doesn’t work maybe change the layer setting to another style as mentioned I. The video. It’s quick and easily repeatable. Another option is set the “black” layer to normal and reduce the opacity. Many ways to approach this but these are the simplest without modifying layers to much. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SrfrBoyBobby said:

It’s funny how our careers can influence our cabinets. I work in lighting and build a lot of LED fixtures. That’s part of the reason I would respond the way I mentioned. Just though that was a cool tidbit.

RedHoodRobin64 you can turn on the “black” color layer and it might give the greyed out look due to the layer being set to overlay. If that doesn’t work maybe change the layer setting to another style as mentioned I. The video. It’s quick and easily repeatable. Another option is set the “black” layer to normal and reduce the opacity. Many ways to approach this but these are the simplest without modifying layers to much. 

Great Idea! Il have to update avp with that. Been working on another game. Heres UMK3. Had to really think outside the box for this one. I recorded the video in the end, then used that recording and recorded again to get the pixel effect on the game and get the bezel to flip like a page.

(Edit) I have to fix the transition at the end. Does not loop well. The bezel says mk3 for some reason, and the frame rate on the video is really choppy for some reason. Gotta take a break before my mind melts lol. But I shall fix those soon

Edited by RedHoodRobin64

So I have some incredible ocd lol. I found some bezels online that look great but when ever I would resize them, they just were to blurry. I'm sure there are ways to fix it but I'm glad that I got frustrated because I ended up creating something I'm really happy with. Now I just need to add move lists and stuff. Shangtsung has all his morphs so thats why he is in the middle and I have all that black in the image to play with. But I figured i'd share my progress so far. I also plan to make where the skeletons are as the screen for that video after it sits on that image for a few.

(Edit) I may just keep the hole pic up and use the full screen for the video. As cool as the bezel is, I dont like the pixel effect on it. Just the video. But I kinda want to keep the same theme going, and when I full screen the video, It loops back alot better because when the video stops and plays again, it flashes black for a sec

1112392423_Umk3Bezel.png

Edited by RedHoodRobin64

The blurry images probably can’t be fixed. There are a few tricks but they are pretty specific and usually provide subpar results. This is usually a image resolution issues (small image in this case). If you can find an image the size you need or larger reduced to what you need it will be clearer/sharp. It’s a lot of work but you could recreate the moves lists…. but it’s a lot of work.

Edited by SrfrBoyBobby
Typo

I'm Willing to do the time. No one has ever taught me this stuff before. I always had alot of Ideas but didnt have the know how to execute it. So thank you so much for helping me get started.

So I did try the black on the buttons, I'm not feeling it. I'm gonna see if I can add a red x layer over the buttons so I can toggle what ones are not being used. That guy had great ideas but I just feel Its gonna cause more confusion then be helpful

Boy am I hyped for this one! I was gonna do the same transitions for every game but this may be the new way to go for console games. This video shows what the black buttons look like. I also increased the canvas size to fit the shield button in the bottom left. I'm not sure if I will keep the black buttons. Il think on it for a bit

Transition 1: Closes the box back up so you see the front again (For looping Purposes)

Transition 2: Flips the box so you can read the back

Transition 3: Opens the box to quote on quote read the manual to see the controls

Transition 4: Flips the instruction booklet to see how to play

Transition 5: Vortex is just a must. There is another one more 8bit that I will save for older titles

Transition 6: Is a black giant rectangle so transition 5 has something to transition into. This also hides the black start up when the video loops

I'm willing to do this for every game. I got more time then most so if it will lead to stuff like this, I'm all in

Edited by RedHoodRobin64
Wanted to add some game manual pages to the video. I feel it makes it not get old as fast because it takes longer to get through it all

Cause I was on such a role, I thought I'd try a game with the box up and down, not sideways like the 64. Its not as smooth going from the back of the box too the controls. I tried the flip transition and it's just really weird going from half the screen to full screen. Your very limited by transitions because the black on the left and right of the box count as part of the transition in power point. But none the less it looks good. If someone would prefer a different transition for that one part its a easy fix

I added a few slides to smash 64 video. Wanted to show off some of the game manual. I found that I didn't want every page because a lot of it was small text and kind of boring. So I spliced a items page and re arranged the page numbers to make it look like 1 page. The reason I spliced the one page to the right was because it was a right page, meaning the fold looked better on the right then being all the way to the left. I'm sure that can be improved and changed some transitions like the control page from your templet now peels instead because its 1 piece. Did the same for the items page just because it does not look right folding in the middle with 3 pages  

These are looking great. I like when the training / in game stuff is included. Sometimes it feels a little long for my taste before returning to the beginning but it also makes sense too. All about your preferences. I tend to lean towards 45sec to 1min Before repeat but not always possible. Short and concise is my way. Here is the game, here are the controls and if you missed it here you go. Maybe on longer videos I might return to a “marquee” or controls panel in between. Like I said tho, this is all personal preference 

33 minutes ago, SrfrBoyBobby said:

I tend to lean towards 45sec to 1min Before repeat but not always possible

I did save the power point presentations. What I can do to shorten time more, I have it set to 10 sec for the photos. Could set that lower. You don't have to have the video at the end either. I mean they would be really easy fixes to narrow it down. Let me play with it and see what I can come up with

Edited by RedHoodRobin64

Ok the shorter designs are starting to grow on me. The main menu is really cool cause it gives this great glowing moving logo feel that pops. I may just stick with these for now on. I can trim the logo video shorter if needed. Might look better with out the get ready and explosion

Edited by RedHoodRobin64

I updated this one. Did more of a fade this time around. Thought it fit the arcade better. I also kinda went over kill and added the logo at the end. This one almost clocks in at 3 min but this one is a personal favorite of mine with the demo screens. I'm more then happy to cut those out if requested and that would really shorten it

Edited by RedHoodRobin64
Had to delete the video. Frame rate was choppy. When im back at my computer i will upload the fix