LaunchBox Community Forums

Custom Control Panel Art Files for Platforms and Games

SrfrBoyBobby

On 3/2/2022 at 1:07 PM, SrfrBoyBobby said:

I hadn’t thought about using obs for that. I was trying to figure out which route to go. I think the video marquee collection I linked had power point files in it like you were mentioning using. I might mess with that. 

I used to edit but I was using Avid nitrous system through my old job and unfortunately don’t have access anymore. A lot of people use Adobe premier the last I checked. Really tho I like the cheesy power point transitions and it might be enough to edit with. I feel it really captures the 90’s vibe. That’s kinda my golden era of running around in the arcades. 

Ok I think I will stick with PowerPoint. I was really surprised the amount of options it has for this. I really think the different transitions have a bunch of potential. Finally have some time to try out your tips and templet you made with the video. So so incredibly helpful. Need some advice though. If i'm going to use power Point to show the marquee image of a arcade game, or the box art of a nes game ect... Should I add the logo of the game one the templet you showed me? Or is that over kill? Should I Include original controls? I had little time to play today. Tomorrow I'm goin all in on this. I also plan to do eclipse and non eclipse just so anyone who wants there cabnet to match is happy. This first example is for super mario bros for nes

Super Mario Bros. (Eclipse).png

Super Mario Bros.png

Edited by RedHoodRobin64

Here Is My first Really strong attempt at this. I'm Really happy with it. But the Pic I edited feels a little empty. It looks amazing but I feel its just missing something. Just cant put my finger on it. (Edit) Crap my buttons seem to be set up wrong compared to when its showing off each characters moves. Il fix that

Edited by RedHoodRobin64
Pictures color of buttons has ben fixed

I like it but I think I would put something like the flyer artwork or cabinet. With the arcade stuff the art will be kinda hit or miss so maybe ether or…. Also, I think I would put the controls right after the main start slide. Maybe reduce the time before transitioning to the next slide on the first slide. It does look great and I like the use of the clear logo. 

art flyer example:

33978B1F-9B7A-49A1-A866-3FEB60B4C74B.thumb.jpeg.0c9845f75ac42eea13101ca766f8fccc.jpeg

38 minutes ago, RedHoodRobin64 said:

Ok ausome, il throw some more concepts out in a few. I wanted to do the real controls right next to it but mame artwork is all over the place. Do you think i should take out the intro with the aliens invading the city? That could cut alot of time out of the video

What is the ultimate goal of what you are trying to do? If it is to ensure players can understand the controls for the game while adding some visual excitement I think you should reduce the overall time of the video and increase how long/often the controls image shows up. That is a 3:45 video and the controls only showed up at 1:45 and stayed up for :15. 

4 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

What is the ultimate goal of what you are trying to do? If it is to ensure players can understand the controls for the game while adding some visual excitement I think you should reduce the overall time of the video and increase how long/often the controls image shows up. That is a 3:45 video and the controls only showed up at 1:45 and stayed up for :15. 

The goal more or less is to just have something jaw dropping to look at. Some games have really complex controls. Big example is also the special moves in mortal kombat or MVC2. I really dont have a solid idea entirely. Im just enjoying where this ride is taking me. I got another concept one thats alot better thats almost done 

Nice improvement. The controller image is a lot cleaner.  A couple recommendations on that. 1. If using a 6 button control deck the user would not know which 3 buttons. Top 3 or bottom 3. Also since only 3 are showing and your image is aligned to make space for the other buttons the spacing looks off. To compensate I would recommend leaving all 6 buttons in view but grey out the others not being used.

• Like 1

Thank you, I don't necessarily agree that players would get confused with top and bottom as the controls are lit. That being said I didn't think to toggle just the color off. That would fill the image better. I also think I need to re trim the last character bio. I tested it on the marquee and goes back to the arcade marquee way to fast. I may have it go into a black slide just so the last character pixles out like the other 3. So I will give the color less buttons a whirl and see how it goes

16 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Nice improvement. The controller image is a lot cleaner.  A couple recommendations on that. 1. If using a 6 button control deck the user would not know which 3 buttons. Top 3 or bottom 3. Also since only 3 are showing and your image is aligned to make space for the other buttons the spacing looks off. To compensate I would recommend leaving all 6 buttons in view but grey out the others not being used.

Your absolutely right. This does look better. I will edit power point video with improved image and fix the end transition

97670803_AlienVsPredatorProto3.png

Edited by RedHoodRobin64
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, RedHoodRobin64 said:

Thank you, I don't necessarily agree that players would get confused with top and bottom as the controls are lit. T

This was just speaking out of experience. I have built many cabinets for friends, family, and even put a few at my work place. The lit buttons do help, but what if the leds stop. Or you decide to use this for another cabinet without led buttons? Have seen many users on a simple 2 or 3 button game try using the bottom row first. May not be as common an issue, but if you can mitigate confusion by being clear with your images, then why not do it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

This was just speaking out of experience. I have built many cabinets for friends, family, and even put a few at my work place. The lit buttons do help, but what if the leds stop. Or you decide to use this for another cabinet without led buttons? Have seen many users on a simple 2 or 3 button game try using the bottom row first. May not be as common an issue, but if you can mitigate confusion by being clear with your images, then why not do it.

Fair enough, I think although it is dependent per person, I want something that is easy for all. So I'm gonna hear you out. take a look at the updated photo and see what you think. Video is updated as well

Edited by RedHoodRobin64

11 minutes ago, RedHoodRobin64 said:

Fair enough, I think although it is dependent per person, I want something that is easy for all. So I'm gonna hear you out. take a look at the updated photo and see what you think. Video is updated as well

Yeah, it definitely is person-to-person, but if your set-up can be effective for all than that just makes your set-up even that much sweeter.

The new image looks good. The controller alignment could be adjusted right a little more, but of course you would need to see how it looks with a control scheme that might have longer text on those 2 buttons on the end towards the game art.

Maybe add a drop shadow or an outer glow to the clear logo.

1 minute ago, Retro808 said:

Yeah, it definitely is person-to-person, but if your set-up can be effective for all than that just makes your set-up even that much sweeter.

The new image looks good. The controller alignment could be adjusted right a little more, but of course you would need to see how it looks with a control scheme that might have longer text on those 2 buttons on the end towards the game art.

Well very much appreciated for the feed back. That's exactly what I'm goin for. I want it to be inviting for all. So I shall open my mind set. I had SrfrBoyBobby make me a templet to toggle buttons on and off. I literally just taught my self with the help of him how to run photo shop for the first time so still all new to me but I can try to adjust where the buttons are sitting as you suggested. Here is some photos of other control panels other players may have. I can incorporate all of these into the videos if any one wants them. 

Would you have any idea how to add the shadow or outer glow? That's a great idea! Just not quite sure how

1751192512_AlienVsPredator7ButtonEclipse.png

2024459106_AlienVsPredator6ButtonEclipse.png

196163273_AlienVsPredator6Button.png

56 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

The controller alignment could be adjusted right a little more, but of course you would need to see how it looks with a control scheme that might have longer text on those 2 buttons on the end towards the game art.

Ok I think I figured it out. Is this far enough? and does the logo pop enough now?

Replacement.png

Edited by RedHoodRobin64
Logo had shadow and light. Now its just shadow
  • Like 1

Sorry, I’m a bit MIA this weekend but if you double click to the right of the layer name (demo in the previous tips and tricks video) it will pull up the fx tools box and you can check on the drop shadow, outer glow, etc and there is individual options for each of those effects. Hope this points you in the right direction.

I would probably add a bit heavier drop shadow and or outer glow to make the clear logo pop more.

It’s looking good and the suggestion were spot on from Retro808. Im not as worried about the leds burning out as mentioned because I would just replace it. It would bug me to much but if you built one that didn’t have leds I can see that. Having all the buttons visible whether they are illuminated or not is a good middle ground in my opinion. 

I also put that wood grain to match your panel but it honestly could be anything if you wanted to change it. It could make things pop in a different way but really it’s what you want to make of it to make your cabinet special. 

Edited by SrfrBoyBobby
Typo