LaunchBox Community Forums

Games will not run

LordDIOBrando2

What does it show in the "Associated Platforms" tab? Can you post a pic.

Do you games run directly in Mame without using LB to launch the games?

I take it you had LB download and set up Mame for you versus manually adding Mame, correct?

41 minutes ago, LordDIOBrando2 said:

but also imported primrage.zip

That should have already been in with the 'full set'.  (Have to ask..) was the romset you downloaded v0.245?  You need to have the romset and MAME executable versions match.  (i.e. your image above shows you installed MAME v0.245)

An "Image error" sounds like a bad rom file.  If it said "...file missing...", that would (typically) indicate a mismatched rom file and executable versions.  Or that the 'full set' you downloaded was not actually a full set.

32 minutes ago, LordDIOBrando2 said:

I downloaded the MAME v0.245 set. For some reason, it wasn't there, and I had to import it. @JoeViking245

You always have to import games into LB. Just setting up the emulator does not make LB run the game. You have to set up the emulator and also import the game/rom files.

On 7/6/2022 at 7:13 PM, LordDIOBrando2 said:

I downloaded the full MAME set but also imported primrage.zip. When I open the game in MAME it says something about a ROM/Disk Image error.

dude you gotta pay attention to what those error messages are saying, if it's what I think it is.....it told you exactly how to solve your issue. I assume you don't have all the files required for the ROM to boot and run properly. I'd bet you don't have "c31boot.bin (tms32031)" since that wouldn't come along with the primrage.zip ROM you downloaded. if you do need it, simply google search for "primal rage c31boot.bin (tms32031)" or just "c31boot.bin (tms32031)" does the trick too since this BIOS is used on other games, it's not like there is a specific version for Primal Rage.

I'm going to attach a screen shot of my primrage.zip ROM so you can see all the files in it. I bet if you compare, or read that error message when it pops up, you will be able to tell what you're missing.

This is in the root of primrage.zip. notice c31boot.bin at the bottom. this is how I prefer to do this. others may give me flack for it, since this is really a BIOS file and you could just leave it in it's zipped form in your root ROM folder. In that case, you would put the tms32031.zip file in your root ROM folder where all your other ROMS are, inside the tms32031.zip file is the c31boot.bin file. This works the same way for various other BIOS files for say NEO-Geo, Namco etc

image.thumb.png.42ed73d2f716c88ea0f337d166250ecc.png

and this is what is in the folder primrage20

image.thumb.png.4082e17b9e392c1ec20e08d8e9324c9b.png

you usually get very clear directions on what is wrong when launching a game that is incomplete. for example here with primrage missing the required BIOS

image.thumb.png.74b527f43e00421141202e89ab8619b4.png

Edited by skizzosjt

21 hours ago, skizzosjt said:

dude you gotta pay attention to what those error messages are saying, if it's what I think it is.....it told you exactly how to solve your issue. I assume you don't have all the files required for the ROM to boot and run properly. I'd bet you don't have "c31boot.bin (tms32031)" since that wouldn't come along with the primrage.zip ROM you downloaded. if you do need it, simply google search for "primal rage c31boot.bin (tms32031)" or just "c31boot.bin (tms32031)" does the trick too since this BIOS is used on other games, it's not like there is a specific version for Primal Rage.

Definitely appreciate the detailed post. However, that file should not need to be manually added if the Mame set is downloaded from a trustworthy site. Mame rom sets already come with tms32031.zip file in there. That c31boot.bin file does not have to be in the Primal Rage rom. The tms zip just needs to be in your roms folder.

This is why we always recommend getting roms from site known to supply a proper Mame set. Such as PleasureDome.

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 7.56.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 7.58.01 AM.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Definitely appreciate the detailed post. However, that file should not need to be manually added if the Mame set is downloaded from a trustworthy site. Mame rom sets already come with tms32031.zip file in there.

This is why we always recommend getting roms from site known to supply a proper Mame set. Such as PleasureDome.

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 7.56.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 7.58.01 AM.png

So this may make more sense for me, considering my situation. I'm on a 6Mbps DSL plan, that is capped to 3.3Mbps.....I'm not gonna bother downloading the whole effing set of ROMS, BIOS, CHDS, etc or even just one set of them lol. If you're like me, who the hell wants GBs of garbage games you will never play or don't even work? I know some people are really into having every game literally ever made for every system ever created, but that isn't my cup of tea. I don't want it taking up space, I'd rather boot up my system and see the particular set of games I want to be able to play. I download the ROMs I want individually by viewing the contents of the set and pick what I want and/or need. I find things are a lot more manageable when I can sort through like 150 games, instead of what, 8000+?! I've been using "ROMS Megathread" more recently, mainly because they have practically everything under the sun and presented in an orderly fashion. So in this process of acquiring files, you have to occasionally get a BIOS or some sort of support file separately that isn't included with the ROM.

sure the OP says they got a whole ROM set.....but who knows wtf they did, because you're right, if they got a full working set, they should be up and running fine already. but they aren't, so.....🤷‍♂️ I misinterpreted the first time around thinking they said they downloaded primrage.zip alone (they actually said imported, my bad!), like I did in my explanation above so figured they needed the BIOS. Now seeing they have a full set, I'm back to  🤷‍♂️ lol

And what's up with PleasureDome? Never used it so wanted to check it out. I did some googling, and all I got was a butt load of hits saying it was shut down in 2021?! OK nvm.....adding "pleasuredome ROMS" to the search got it be the first hit.

13 minutes ago, skizzosjt said:

So this may make more sense for me, considering my situation. I'm on a 6Mbps DSL plan, that is capped to 3.3Mbps.....I'm not gonna bother downloading the whole effing set of ROMS, BIOS, CHDS, etc or even just one set of them lol. If you're like me, who the hell wants GBs of garbage games you will never play or don't even work? I know some people are really into having every game literally ever made for every system ever created, but that isn't my cup of tea. I don't want it taking up space, I'd rather boot up my system and see the particular set of games I want to be able to play. I download the ROMs I want individually by viewing the contents of the set and pick what I want and/or need. I find things are a lot more manageable when I can sort through like 150 games, instead of what, 8000+?! I've been using "ROMS Megathread" more recently, mainly because they have practically everything under the sun and presented in an orderly fashion. So in this process of acquiring files, you have to occasionally get a BIOS or some sort of support file separately that isn't included with the ROM.

sure the OP says they got a whole ROM set.....but who knows wtf they did, because you're right, if they got a full working set, they should be up and running fine already. but they aren't, so.....🤷‍♂️ I misinterpreted the first time around thinking they said they downloaded primrage.zip alone (they actually said imported, my bad!), like I did in my explanation above so figured they needed the BIOS. Now seeing they have a full set, I'm back to  🤷‍♂️ lol

And what's up with PleasureDome? Never used it so wanted to check it out. I did some googling, and all I got was a butt load of hits saying it was shut down in 2021?! OK nvm.....adding "pleasuredome ROMS" to the search got it be the first hit.

But MAME is different to any other romset and downloading random roms from the internet is just gonna cause you headaches as you try to find the right emulator version your specific rom is for. If you download a full set, which can be as small as 70GB which is nothing in relation to bandwidth or storage these days, then you are guaranteed to have working roms, which would make threads like this irrelevant.

3 hours ago, neil9000 said:

But MAME is different to any other romset and downloading random roms from the internet is just gonna cause you headaches as you try to find the right emulator version your specific rom is for. If you download a full set, which can be as small as 70GB which is nothing in relation to bandwidth or storage these days, then you are guaranteed to have working roms, which would make threads like this irrelevant.

You won't catch me leaving my PC on for 3 days to download games I don't want to play, or over two WEEKS to download the CHD set etc lmao NO THANKS! I live in the boonies, and I'm fine with dealing with slow internet after growing up on dial-up and DSL it's just more of the same to me. I wouldn't have enough bandwidth to be able to stream TV or doing anything else internet related really while downloading stuff. I got my reasons to not want to download all this extra MAME related stuff. To clarify, I'm not downloading random ROMS, nor am I recommending it. It's possible to selectively download the ROMS you want from the matched set to the emulator version was my point.

• Like 1

Having lived in the boonies with trash internet myself I would recommend spending a few bucks and investing in a seedbox. You can download the full set to it and then download the files you need for your set as you need them. Getting a full Non Merged set will make this much easier.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 7:42 PM, Lordmonkus said:

Having lived in the boonies with trash internet myself I would recommend spending a few bucks and investing in a seedbox. You can download the full set to it and then download the files you need for your set as you need them. Getting a full Non Merged set will make this much easier.

interesting...googled around on this since I had no idea wtf a seedbox is. this is a unique concept. def in a bit of a "grey area" there lol but that's OK! any chance there's a service you have used and would recommend? this.....honestly might be a bit over my head to setup even after doing some light research. I get basic concept of how the files get downloaded to the "seedbox"....but then I download them to my PC? At that point when downloading to my PC they download at my ISP plan rate (3.3Mbps max) or would it still download to my PC at the increased seedbox rate? I see I could just use the files from the seedbox too but that wouldn't be my main goal, I'd want them on my local PC at the end of the day

No grey are at all.

Yes, your downloads would still be coming in at your slow internet speeds but you can pick and choose what you want to get. For example downloading an entire 70 gig Mame set would take days but if you use a seedbox it would download to it much faster and then you can pick and choose which files you download from the seedbox. I would suggest using a Non Merged Mame set in this example because a single zip file from the set is a fully working game and with my hand picked set of approx 450 Mame games it is less than 4 gigs in size which is much easier to download on a slow internet connection.

This is not ideal but it is better than trying to download a full Mame set on a slow internet connection.

58 minutes ago, skizzosjt said:

any chance there's a service you have used and would recommend?

I use Feral seedbox currently.

On 7/13/2022 at 9:34 AM, skizzosjt said:

It's possible to selectively download the ROMS you want from the matched set to the emulator version was my point.

Exactly. I don't even use MAME itself, I use MAME files in other standalone arcade emulators like Flycast and Supermodel, then just get the game I want from the set. Those emulators don't even care about versions. Now I'm happily playing with my curated Atomiswave, Model 3, NAOMI, NAOMI 2 games using my fightstick, gamepad (for racing games). and mouse (for lightgun games).

Granted, this is Sega-specific but then again, that's only what I'm interested in so this method is pretty lightweight and effective with what I want.

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

I want to piggyback off this thread as I'm having the same problem.  All my games work in HyperSpin.. I was just making the move to LB looking for easier configuration...   Yes, my games work in MAME, HS, RetroArc,.. but attempting to launch through LB... it goes to the loading screen then times out.  For instance I have 1942, works perfect in Mame_145, so I manually imported 1942 in LB, added M_145, ensured it was associated to Arcade... attempted to play using LB... nothing, right click, open mame_145, select 1942.. works fine.  Launch HS.. scroll to 1942, works fine,  Open RocketLauncher.. you guessed it.. works fine.  Not sure what I have missed..