LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Multi Monitor and BigBox +3rd monitor plugin

Thanks to @garrett521 for volunteering to help with testing.  Version 1.1.1 is out with an added option that will stretch marquee images to fill the screen.

This option is intended for marquee monitors and only works on "LaunchBox 2nd Monitor".  You could turn it on and use it with a regular (2nd) monitor, but it'll look funny. ;) 

16 minutes ago, Retrofrogg said:

a feature request; could we set which images display on the monitors per platform? For example, for MAME I might want the arcade controls to appear, but for NES I might want the box art.

Duley Noted.  But I think this would be a logistical nightmare.  Namely in making it user friendly to setup via the GUI.  Since this works with Platform Categories and Playlists, as well as Platforms, it would probably need to somehow accommodate those as well. 

I'm not envisioning how to make the Setup Menu simple to follow and understand without having a myriad of checkboxes, option lists, dropdowns etc. to accommodate the users every Platform.  Coding it's the easy part.  Making it be end-user friendly is what I'm not seeing.  At this point, it's not going to happen. 

If someone can come up with pictural layout for the plugin's Setup Menu that's not all convoluted and overwhelming or confusing for the average user to navigate that will accomplish what you're after, I may entertain looking at this again in the future.  

Not to say this would be the best way but you could have an enum with values of default, platform category, platform, playlist,  game. Then have a grid with columns for type (the enum), value (I.e. the platform category, platform, playlist, or game) and then columns for all those selections of what image to use for what thing. You’d have to define the tie breaker order like game specific setting trumps all, if no game specific setting exists then the platform is used. If no platform specific setting exists then the playlist setting is used. If no playlist setting exists then the platform category is used and if no platform category setting then the default is used. Just a thought. Not sure if it’s worth it. Shouldn’t be too bad to create the data model and save to a json file. Might be kind of annoying to do the dynamic lookups on values depending on the type that’s selected. And like you said it could wind up being a ton of metadata to maintain. Do you mind sharing the code for this plugin or are you keeping it closed ?

• 2 weeks later...

v1.1.3-beta release

- now shows the selected Platform/Platform Category/Playlist image on the LaunchBox 2nd monitor when switching between them. 
  (Nothing has changed on the BigBox side of things.)

This feature will require LaunchBox v13.1 beta 6, or newer.  (Older versions should still work with this version of the plugin, but without this added feature)

MultiMonitor2022 v1.1.3beta.7z  (replace your existing "MultiMonitor2022.dll" file with the one inside this zip)

I'm not adding this to the Official Release yet as it's only had minimal testing.  Any and all feedback is welcome.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Retrofrogg said:

Apologies if this has been mentioned before. Could I request a feature - for the 3D rotatable box, could we have it rotate only horizontally? When rotating it with a mouse currently, it flips all over the place. Thanks! 

This has been asked about before and when I looked into it, I couldn't see a way to lock the vertical rotation.  I even tried to get sneaky and use an AHK script to restrict vertical movement when the cursor was on 'that' screen and the left button was clicked. To no avail.

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Retrofrogg said:

Would it be possible to add a setting for the starting zoom level of the box?

Assuming 3D Box Models, yes, it's 'possible'. But what exactly is your end goal?  Are the 3D Box Models appearing too large or too small on the respective monitor?  How many rotation-clicks on the mouse wheel when hovering over the Model does it take to make it the 'ideal' size?  Is it the same amount for all Model types?  Regular boxes, N64 boxes, CD cases, jewel cases.  This is where "one size" may not fit all.  And before you ask, no, I wouldn't make it different based on the 3D Box Model type.

52 minutes ago, Retrofrogg said:

It depends on the shape of the box, and the orientation of the monitor. There's a few variables in the mix which make for uneven box sizes, usually a bit too big. A setting in the app should be able to sort this I think!

Can you share some screenshots of the issue you're seeing?  Also, if you can, show some for landscape and for portrait.