LaunchBox Community Forums

13.9 Beta Thread

faeran

2 hours ago, faeran said:

In this screenshot, can you list the file names of all the files here that they are pointing to.

It is not necessary because in the new beta the title of the 'additional applications' section disappears for all games, even for older ones that were fine.
 This is despite the setting being enabled in the BigBox options. It is not the content of the apps that disappears, but the very title of the section.

1 minute ago, Sbaby said:

It is not necessary because in the new beta the title of the 'additional applications' section disappears for all games, even for older ones that were fine.
 This is despite the setting being enabled in the BigBox options. It is not the content of the apps that disappears, but the very title of the section.

It would be important to get some files names that are disappearing so we can figure out what's going on.

19 minutes ago, faeran said:

It would be important to get some files names that are disappearing so we can figure out what's going on.

No files are deleted; it's not the applications that disappear, but the possibility of accessing the section in BigBox. Everything works regularly in Launchbox. To help you understand better, my regular game page has this structure:

GIOCA
ESEGUI CON
APPS/VERSIONI AGGIUNTIVE
STAR RATING: NESSUNO
FERMA VIDEO

...Etc... etc...

With the new beta, my game page becomes:

GIOCA
ESEGUI CON
FERMA VIDEO

...Etc... etc...

This applies to all games; I have thousands, I've checked many, and they all have different types of applications. Some point to ROMs, some to AHK, some to EXE, BAT, etc. They are all different, remain intact, and work perfectly in Launchbox; I haven't lost any data. However, installing directly over the previous version 13.8, everything returns to normal in BigBox. The pic I posted is of the regular 13.8

Edited by Sbaby

1 hour ago, faeran said:

What the user was advising is when installing the latest beta the option for "View Additional Apps" is gone. I had asked to post of pic of what it looks like but the user had already reverted back to prior version and did not want to reinstall the beta. So the pic posted if of it from a prior version. 

I tested the same theme on several build and I still see the additional apps option. Possibly something amiss in the translated version??

Just now, Retro808 said:

What the user was advising is when installing the latest beta the option for "View Additional Apps" is gone. I had asked to post of pic of what it looks like but the user had already reverted back to prior version and did not want to reinstall the beta. So the pic posted if of it from a prior version. 

I tested the same theme on several build and I still see the additional apps option. Possibly something amiss in the translated version??

It's hard to say. It would be nice to get some specific file names so we can recreate it on our side, but it is what it is.

11 hours ago, TheNewClassics said:

Thanks for the Game Discovery Center addition LB team. Very cool feature. Couple little things:

When the game doesn't have a clear logo, the white placeholder text only gets a few letters on the screen for the preview. Any chance it could be resized when there isn't a clear logo?

Also, seeing how the setup has a similar vibe to Netflix, is there any chance the game video could play after being on a selection for a few seconds? Netflix does it as a kind of preview, thought it might look good in this setup as well.

Either way, thanks for the continued improvements!

Completely agree with the video previews - it would also be great to eventually have some basic configs for the discovery center, such as defining the primary asset type / display pattern that is shown for each game, configuring custom lists, choosing how many games are in each list, or choosing to include / exclude certain platforms. I assume this could all come with time when theme developers are able to take the wheel, based on your post above.

But feedback aside, I'm very excited with the direction you all are going here. This is one of the best new features I've seen from Big Box and really unlocks the ability to create a unique couch gaming experience, which has been a goal of mine. The product manager in me is super interested in understanding how you're building the "dynamic" list capabilities, and I feel like there's a ton of potential with what you're doing.

Edited by uchuskies921

21 hours ago, Sbaby said:

No files are deleted; it's not the applications that disappear, but the possibility of accessing the section in BigBox. Everything works regularly in Launchbox. To help you understand better, my regular game page has this structure:

GIOCA
ESEGUI CON
APPS/VERSIONI AGGIUNTIVE
FERMA VIDEO

...Etc... etc...

With the new beta, my game page becomes:

GIOCA
ESEGUI CON
FERMA VIDEO

...Etc... etc...

This applies to all games; I have thousands, I've checked many, and they all have different types of applications. Some point to ROMs, some to AHK, some to EXE, BAT, etc. They are all different, remain intact, and work perfectly in Launchbox; I haven't lost any data. However, installing directly over the previous version 13.8, everything returns to normal in BigBox. The pic I posted is of the regular 13.8

20 hours ago, Retro808 said:

We made some educated guesses and we should have this fixed in the next beta. Thanks for the report.

22 hours ago, TheNewClassics said:

Thanks for the Game Discovery Center addition LB team. Very cool feature. Couple little things:

When the game doesn't have a clear logo, the white placeholder text only gets a few letters on the screen for the preview. Any chance it could be resized when there isn't a clear logo?

Also, seeing how the setup has a similar vibe to Netflix, is there any chance the game video could play after being on a selection for a few seconds? Netflix does it as a kind of preview, thought it might look good in this setup as well.

Either way, thanks for the continued improvements!

15 hours ago, uchuskies921 said:

Completely agree with the video previews - it would also be great to eventually have some basic configs for the discovery center, such as defining the primary asset type / display pattern that is shown for each game, configuring custom lists, choosing how many games are in each list, or choosing to include / exclude certain platforms. I assume this could all come with time when theme developers are able to take the wheel, based on your post above.

But feedback aside, I'm very excited with the direction you all are going here. This is one of the best new features I've seen from Big Box and really unlocks the ability to create a unique couch gaming experience, which has been a goal of mine. The product manager in me is super interested in understanding how you're building the "dynamic" list capabilities, and I feel like there's a ton of potential with what you're doing.

Unless we run into some kind of unpassable stop block, videos will come in the next beta. 

The clear logo thing is a little strange since it's using the default fallback where the system generates an image with the text on it, but I'll take a look.

@uchuskies921 Yes, a lot of what you say will be possible for theme devs. If you do want to learn more about the system send me a PM.

• Thanks 1

As of last night on beta version, I started getting crashes every time LaunchBox tries to scan and connect to the Microsoft store.  I initially tried reinstalling the application from scratch, and one by one bringing my old platforms and playlist data back.  I narrowed the crashing down to the settings file.  With my old settings file, it crashed 100% of the time on startup and this randomly occured for the first time last night at around 10:30 PM.  I've logged many hours under this beta with zero issues prior to that happening, and nothing at all on my end changed leading to this error.  So I narrowed it down to settings.  This morning, I went through each individual setting, restoring it back to my previous setting.  But every single time I go to storefronts and try to connect LaunchBox to the Microsoft store, I get the popup that tells me I should save my data and there's an error, and then it shuts down.  On restarting, my settings aren't saved so I need to set up those again, but every time I connect to the Microsoft store, the same instance occurs.  It should be noted that as long as I've used LaunchBox and the beta since it's release, I've been connected to the Microsoft store the whole time.  But as of yesterday, problems started occurring and even with a clean install, with everything working as it should, I can now go into Microsoft store to connect it first and it crashes the program.  I'm currently still able to sync with LaunchBox site or use every other feature of the app flawlessly.  I love this app, and want to help in whatever way I can to report anything not functioning properly to continue to see this incredible app develop more and more.  The creators have done an amazing job on this app, and I appreciate all the hard work that has went in.  

On 11/30/2023 at 2:43 AM, Sbaby said:

I should point out that I haven't changed mame in years, I'm at version 0. 235 for a long time and i've never had any problems with bigbox, however recently it happens that when i play mame and then return to bigbox it's all weird, it seems that bigbox runs at lower fps also if i start other emulators i have serious problems, for example hypseus singe starts minimized under bigbox and there's no way to raise it, even with alt tab it stays below, another example is supermodel, if i play after mame it on exit crashes bigbox, i have to restart the whole windows system and restart bigbox, avoid playing mame and play all other emulators, this is frustrating and i don't understand why

In this example video I show you that I start dragon's lair without a problem, afterwards I start mame without a problem, afterwards I start dragon's lair again and bigbox takes the focus and does not leave it any more

Please note: the loading times of dragon's lair are correct, I set a long time to cover the initial black

2023-11-30 02-35-33.mkv 44.69 MB · 4 downloads

I'm doing some tests and I've discovered that if I press WIN+D BigBox is minimized correctly but if I start a mame game and then return to BigBox, with the key combination WIN+D it is no longer minimized, it is forced to full screen, I can't use the computer in any way, I'm forced to close BigBox ....  
this is why i have problems running other games after mame. Please take a look at this problem and give me an answer, I'm asking if it's enough here or should I post the request in the help form ?

35 minutes ago, Sbaby said:

I'm doing some tests and I've discovered that if I press WIN+D BigBox is minimized correctly but if I start a mame game and then return to BigBox, with the key combination WIN+D it is no longer minimized, it is forced to full screen, I can't use the computer in any way, I'm forced to close BigBox ....  
this is why i have problems running other games after mame. Please take a look at this problem and give me an answer, I'm asking if it's enough here or should I post the request in the help form ?

If you are running the beta here is fine but honestly this may not be an actual beta issue so I may at some point move this to its own thread. Have you tested running the prior non-beta release?

Also please give our devs time. Its a small team of 2-3 and they have other work they deal with daily. Providing testing notes is helpful. 

Moved these posts to seperate thread. 

Hi Everyone,

Beta 3 has been released that fixes the changes made by Microsoft with their Xbox / Microsoft Store authentication. At this point, Xbox / Microsoft Store integration should be fixed.

We've also progressed with the Game Discovery Center, but it should be noted that it's still heavily a work in progress. The main change to this view is that the placeholder lists have now been replaced with a dynamically generated one that will refresh upon each load of this view. New lists will keep generating as you scroll down. We still have some ways to go here, and there's still a lot of placeholders in the view that will be worked on. We are still exploring adding videos, more list types, and we've got a number of other fixes and theme related items that we have to get to.

Here's the full changelog:

• Improvement: Adjusted download timeout windows to help reduce download errors when grabbing media
  • Improvement: The Fullset MAME Import Wizard is now more performant on lower end hardware
  • Fixed: Rare dictionary error when using an Arrange By setting in LaunchBox's Grid View
  • Fixed: Sidebar counts for genres with subgenres weren't being displayed correctly until clicked within LaunchBox (introduced in 13.8)
  • Fixed: Various errors related to the automated import process
  • Fixed: Corrected changes to the Additional App selection in Big Box (introduced in beta 2)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1