LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox 13.15 - Beta Thread

faeran

Hello everyone.  I started messing around with LaunchBox again and created a separate instance for me to do some testing in.  I'm using the latest official release of 13.15.  I only imported a few NES games and now shortly after I open up LaunchBox and browse around, this error message pops up.  Let me know if you need any additional information to help troubleshoot.  Thanks.

In addition, I believe I have mentioned this before, but I'd like to mention again that LaunchBox is still importing metadata and media for games that are not even close to the correct game.  In this test example, I have imported a homebrew game called ANNA, but Launchbox imported it as Wheel of Fortune Featuring Vanna White.  So I would have no idea that this was wrong unless I manually went through every game and checked each one out (which I did start doing and ultimately gave up).  When I first import a ROM folder, it imports the file name as the Game Title name.  You even have a check box in the importer to say whether or not you want to use file names or folder names for the game title.  So when it shows the list of games it's importing, it shows all the game titles as correct because it is naming them exactly what the file name is minus the stuff in parenthesis so I have no need to change anything.  But once I do the import, the game names are changed to whatever it thinks it should be based on what database entry it believes it is.  Even if it did match the correct database entry, I have found many of my imported games are named differently than what the file name was and I think they are using one of the alternate names associated with that entry.  My work around for this is to import all my games but choose to not import metadata using the local database.  This imports all my games with the correct game names.  Then I select all the imported games and go to Tools, Download, Update Metadata and Images for Selected Games and then choose the option to not replace existing fields.  This still downloads the wrong media for that ANNA game, but at least now all my games are named correctly.  It then makes it easier for me to see what games have the wrong media and correct it as necessary.  

I know I wrote a lot and attached a lot of pictures, but I hope I am explaining everything clearly to you all.  Ultimately, I would like the matching of the games to the database to be stricter to avoid pulling in wrong data.  I would also like it if on the initial import if it kept the file names as the game title names and not replace that with whatever is in the database.  I hope you found this information helpful.  Thank you.  

Lauchbox error.JPG

Anna Vanna.JPG

Folder or File names.JPG

Import names.JPG

Metadata no database.JPG

Do not replace existing fields.JPG

Correct name but wrong media and metadata.JPG

On 7/6/2024 at 1:09 PM, Stingeremui said:

When auto import kicks in I'm seeing the error below once launchbox starts to save games tried 4 or 5 times and always get the same error.  I already have a decent amount of roms set up (Just over 50,000) so only really want to use auto import for Vita.  It's a shame you can't just auto import the vita platform.  I understand using the dummy folder method but I would need to change every single platform to use a dummy folder, which again is a shame when all I want to do it auto import vita games.

Even having a simple way to manually import Vita would be great, that's not as time consuming as the old methods. 

App:     LaunchBox
Version: 13.15
Theme:   Default
Type:    System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException
Site:    Void ThrowArgumentOutOfRange_BadYearMonthDay()
Source:  System.Private.CoreLib

at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Search.LocalDbSearchResultGame..ctor(DbGame game, String region)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Search.LocalDbSearchResult..ctor(DbGame game, String region)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Search.LocalDb.GetGameById(Int32 id)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.MenuActions.ImportRomFilesMenuAction.CountCompositeInstance(Object reference, IEnumerable`1 connection, Object dir, Boolean appendinfo2)
   at InvocationRecord.OrderInvalidPool(RomImportTask reference, IEnumerable`1 connection, String dir, Boolean appendinfo2, InvocationRecord )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.MenuActions.ImportRomFilesMenuAction.FindCompositeInstance(Object init)
   at ParamRecord.OrderInvalidPool(RomImportTask init, ParamRecord )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.MenuActions.ImportRomFilesMenuAction.Finish(RomImportTask task, Boolean autoImported)
   at AttrRecord.OrderInvalidPool(RomImportTask task, Boolean autoImported, AttrRecord )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.MenuActions.ImportRomFilesMenuAction.RunExternalTask(RomImportTask task)
   at ProducerRepository.OrderInvalidPool(RomImportTask task, ProducerRepository )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.LaunchBoxAppSpecific.RunRomImport(RomImportTask task)
   at IndexerRegistryProducer.InstantiateObservableWrapper(Object , RomImportTask task, IndexerRegistryProducer )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Monitoring.GameDirectoryMonitor.ViewMultipartStruct()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()

Recent Log:

17:53:50 Exception

Update your DB file and this will go away. Tools > Download > Force update local games database. Should resolve the error you were seeing as well @Clutz450

On 7/5/2024 at 5:23 PM, The Papaw said:

Yep, that part has been working, but manual NOT. That's why I was reporting it for @C-Beats or @faeran. I appreciate the ideas for sure! :D

Can you go to Tools > Manage > Platforms. Select your Vita platform and press edit, and then post a screenshot of that first details page.

On 7/6/2024 at 2:44 PM, Joe35car said:

How do I disable the plugin. Every time I import a rom it checks for missing RA cores.

Uncheck the "Check for missing cores" box during import.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, C-Beats said:

Update your DB file and this will go away. Tools > Download > Force update local games database. Should resolve the error you were seeing as well @Clutz450

Thank you.  This fixed it.  

Do you have any opinions on what I wrote about what happens with the gamenames when importing?  I understand that the Database is a separate beast, but the fact that the Import Wizard initially has the filenames as the gamenames and even lets you edit them as necessary before the import starts, but then changes the gamename to whatever the gamename in the database is, I believe is an issue.  I would not expect the gamename to change after I've gone through and ensured or changed the gamenames to be what I wanted them to be.  Thank you.

Edited by Clutz450

13 hours ago, C-Beats said:

Can you go to Tools > Manage > Platforms. Select your Vita platform and press edit, and then post a screenshot of that first details page

Is this what ya needed C?

01.thumb.png.98aba8afb6915fd6915ed4a2ceb51b9e.png

I've tried @sundogak's suggestions by pointing the rom folder to a dummy folder such as Games\Sony Playstation Vita as well as pointing to the actual uxc folder, in my case 'Y:\Emulators\Vita3K\ux0\app". Which way is the correct way is what I am asking, and is it true for RPCS3 as well?

Both ways are finding this for me:

02.thumb.png.bd9261722aa65c6a503cc47a88fe486f.png

36 minutes ago, The Papaw said:

Is this what ya needed C?

Yeah, was hoping that a scrape as was missing. Not sure how you're seeing what you are given we look explicitly for eboot.bin files. I assume the Import wizard you're showing is after pressing the "Scan for Added Games" and not a manual import?

Posted (edited)

I found another issue with importing.  Apparently for the Developer tag, "Nintendo R&D1" is being added to the metadata as "Nintendo R& D1".  And because of the semicolon there, it makes it appear as 2 developers, "Nintendo R&amp" and "D1".  Looking at the database website, it appears that it is labeled correctly there.  Again, I am on the 13.15 official build.  Thank you.

R&D(1).JPG

R&D(2).JPG

R&D(3).JPG

Edited by Clutz450

5 hours ago, C-Beats said:

I assume the Import wizard you're showing is after pressing the "Scan for Added Games" and not a manual import?

Yes, this after opening LB, allowing t a few minutes to auto scan everything. Then adding a "installing" a few games in Vita3K and then trying Tools > Scan f> Scan for Added Sony Playstation Vita ROMS

9 hours ago, Clutz450 said:

I found another issue with importing.  Apparently for the Developer tag, "Nintendo R&D1" is being added to the metadata as "Nintendo R& D1".  And because of the semicolon there, it makes it appear as 2 developers, "Nintendo R&amp" and "D1".  Looking at the database website, it appears that it is labeled correctly there.  Again, I am on the 13.15 official build.  Thank you.

R&D(1).JPG

R&D(2).JPG

R&D(3).JPG

Wasn't an issue to this beta/version but I took a look and was able to replicate/correct. The correction should appear in the next version.

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2024 at 1:33 PM, C-Beats said:

@C-Beats Just wanted to say thanks the above worked :)

The Vita auto import is so annoying.  I got it working with 5 or 6 games.  Installed another 20 to Vika3k and the auto import will only work now and again.  It's very hit or miss.  haha it's actually just imported my new games while writing this post!

Edited by Stingeremui

Not a bug but a request that I suggested a long time ago on Bitbucket but I didn't get a response and it seems like a really easy thing to implement.  I know it's not the place to ask but my post on bitbucket has been lost in time lol

Please add "Open Video Folder" to the other options in the right-click File management options 😁

Screenshot2024-07-14171131.thumb.png.72725c350fbe79809e571e8d427006e9.png

• Like 2

Good evening

I am having an issue where Launchbox does not delete roms, when I delete a game from the system. I have the option to delete roms checked, and I get the warning message that the rom will be deleted, but the rom does not actually delete. The game is removed from the system, but the roms remains. This is with a mame rom set. The following is the error message i am getting. The file is not in user by any other app and the file is not read only.  Please advise. 

image.png.7e927cadc5451780a56953e0a2f40fac.png

Edited by Vader

Update to previous post:

I did some digging and found that the error message is correct. Launchbox is having an issue with windows file permissions. I experimented by going to my arcade folder, right clicking it and unchecking the read only attribute for the folder (this is a normal default windows attribute for all folders). As soon as I removed this attribute, I was able to properly delete a game in launchbox and the file was removed. However soon after the file was deleted, the read only attribute came back. So this is definitely an issue within Launchbox.

@C-Beats @faeran Any ideas on what is going on here?

image.thumb.png.30c4d4f6acc0d792d03adc488c0fee64.png

Thanks

Edited by Vader
add additional information

9 hours ago, Vader said:

Update to previous post:

I did some digging and found that the error message is correct. Launchbox is having an issue with windows file permissions. I experimented by going to my arcade folder, right clicking it and unchecking the read only attribute for the folder (this is a normal default windows attribute for all folders). As soon as I removed this attribute, I was able to properly delete a game in launchbox and the file was removed. However soon after the file was deleted, the read only attribute came back. So this is definitely an issue within Launchbox.

@C-Beats @faeran Any ideas on what is going on here?

image.thumb.png.30c4d4f6acc0d792d03adc488c0fee64.png

Thanks

Files and folders do not default to read-only in Windows, that block essentially means that the attribute hasn't been manually set on any of the files within that folder (whether on or off) or that the attribute has been set differently for various files in it (some are on, others off). Most of the time we see this it's because a user is afraid LaunchBox is going to delete their games and so they manually set read-only. Then down the road the feat dissipates and they decide to turn on that functionality and forget they set the flag.

58 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Files and folders do not default to read-only in Windows, that block essentially means that the attribute hasn't been manually set on any of the files within that folder (whether on or off) or that the attribute has been set differently for various files in it (some are on, others off). Most of the time we see this it's because a user is afraid LaunchBox is going to delete their games and so they manually set read-only. Then down the road the feat dissipates and they decide to turn on that functionality and forget they set the flag.

Good morning

@C-Beats I agree with you, but in my case I did not make any changes to the my files or folder attributes. Also I have the same issue with two different builds of Launchbox. One is on my pc hard drive and the other is on an external hard drive. I got the same error trying to delete files on both drives. No attributes were changed on either drive.

thanks

For the first time ever, after years of running LB, I'm getting a Windows error message "this app cannot run on your PC" and to contact the developer.  This is on the beta.

23 minutes ago, Drybonz said:

For the first time ever, after years of running LB, I'm getting a Windows error message "this app cannot run on your PC" and to contact the developer.  This is on the beta.

We don't have any live beta's going on right now. 13.15 is full release. What operating system are you running?