LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox 13.16 - Beta Thread

faeran

Hi All,

Another round of betas has now started with version 13.16 beta 1 going out this morning. Here's the list of changes that went into this first beta:

• New Feature: LaunchBox now includes the BigPEmu plugin within the setup file for easy downloading and updating of the BigPEmu Emulator (instead of needing to download it separately from the plugin manager)
  • New Feature: The Game Discovery Center can now access special online lists curated by the LaunchBox team, offering fresh and seasonal game recommendations
  • New Feature: Free LaunchBox users can now experience a taste of Big Box with a 30-minute demo mode. Explore the interface and features, minus themes and game launching
  • Improvement: LaunchBox now better protects your gaming experience by better managing messy data files, including those created by third-party applications
  • Improvement: Custom fields now offer a dropdown menu for quick and easy value selection
  • Fixed: Resolved crashes caused by specific characters in LaunchBox file paths
  • Fixed: Fixed an issue where updating emulators from the Edit Emulator window could result in errors
  • Fixed: Removed the option to download missing RetroArch cores in the ROM Import Wizard when RetroArch is not the selected emulator
  • Fixed: Epic Games Store game installation status is now displayed more reliably
  • Fixed: Resolved file lock issues that prevented smooth switching between LaunchBox and Big Box.
  • Fixed: Issue where launching a game in LaunchBox by pressing enter on the keyboard could inadvertently open two instances of the game under specific conditions

Beta 2:

• New Feature: LaunchBox now offers save management capabilities (In Early Access). Automatically track and organize your saved games and save states, starting with RetroArch support and expanding to more emulators in the future. Import multiple save files for the same game and back them up locally to the Vault, all conveniently within the game's edit window
  • New Feature: Quickly identify games with save files using new badges. Distinguish between saved games and save states at a glance
  • New Feature: Create custom playlists effortlessly with enhanced auto-population options. Filter by saved games or save states to build tailored playlists
  • New Feature: Efficiently find games with save files using new on-the-fly filters. Quickly browse through your collection based on saved game and save state availability
  • Improved: Visual elements were added into Big Box trial mode (introduced in beta 1)
  • Fixed: Custom fields visual issue has been fixed (introduced in beta 1)

Beta 3:

• New Feature: Added option to prevent emulator update checks by right-clicking and selecting "Don't check for updates" while in the Manage Emulator window
  • Improvement: Translations have been updated
  • Fixed: LaunchBox now correctly handles clicking on the LaunchBox or Big Box exe files while its minimized to the system tray (introduced in beta 1)
  • Fixed: A crash related to using the new game save quick filters (introduced in beta 2)

Beta 4:

• Fixed: LaunchBox now handles Amazon Storefront scans without encountering unexpected termination
  • Fixed: Keyboard shortcuts now function within the Audit window, providing easy access to context menu options

Thanks to everyone willing to help us with our betas.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Improvement: Custom fields now offer a dropdown menu for quick and easy value selection

It seems there's a problem with the visual presentation.

My values are saved correctly but if I scroll down the Custom Fields and scoll back up, the values doesn't fit the names anymore.

If I double click on the values, they disappear (if they were on the wrong line) or come back again (if they belong to the field).

Added two screenshots, screen1 is correct, screen2 has mixed up the values after I scrolled down and back up again.

If I click "Cancel" and edit the game again, the Custom Fields are still correct. But if I scroll down/up another time, they're mixed up again.

screen1.JPG

screen2.JPG

Edited by Timber-eXoProjects
  • Thanks 1

Hi all,

Beta 2 is out with the following:

• New Feature: LaunchBox now offers save management capabilities (In Early Access). Automatically track and organize your saved games and save states, starting with RetroArch support and expanding to more emulators in the future. Import multiple save files for the same game and back them up locally to the Vault, all conveniently within the game's edit window
  • New Feature: Quickly identify games with save files using new badges. Distinguish between saved games and save states at a glance
  • New Feature: Create custom playlists effortlessly with enhanced auto-population options. Filter by saved games or save states to build tailored playlists
  • New Feature: Efficiently find games with save files using new on-the-fly filters. Quickly browse through your collection based on saved game and save state availability
  • Improved: Visual elements were added into Big Box trial mode (introduced in beta 1)
  • Fixed: Custom fields visual issue has been fixed (introduced in beta 1)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Game On 2

Has anyone reported an issue where LB, when minimized, no longer launches each time you click on the icon. It just creates additional instances.  I have to use task manager to kill all the processes and then click on the icon again to get it to launch.  It's a major issue in that you can't minimize lb without having to use task manager, kill all the processes then launch again.  

I'm sharing the discord exchange with JoeViking for additional context.

JoeViking245 — Yesterday at 6:44 PM
But you're on beta.    Whether it was an issue before beta, I'd have to open a different copy to confirm.  But I see what you're seeing; when you minimize LB, then double-click the desktop icon (or click the shortcut on your taskbar) it opens a new background process.  Whereas if you click the minimized app on the taskbar, it brings it back up, without any background processes being added.

RN — Yesterday at 6:46 PM
I can’t bring LB back by clicking on the minimized app in the taskbar.  Each time I click, it adds a background process.
[6:48 PM]
I have a shortcut in the taskbar.
[6:49 PM]
If you’re confirming that you’re seeing the same thing as I am, that’s a relief.

JoeViking245 — Yesterday at 6:49 PM
Don't click the shortcut after minimizing.   Maybe check your settings in Tools - Options - System Tray.?.  I've never messed with them.  But, here at least, clicking the minimized app in the tray restores without creating a new background process.
[6:50 PM]
But clicking the 'shortcut' does create the background process. (edited)

YRN — Yesterday at 6:50 PM
So is it “safe” to say this is beta related?  (Ie will get resolved eventually)?
[6:51 PM]
I just started seeing this issue the past few weeks.  First time reporting it.

JoeViking245 — Yesterday at 6:51 PM
Ya.  I just tried a non-beta release and it did the same thing.

YRN   I've also confirmed that by just clicking the taskbar mini icon bottom right taskbar, LB does restore.  It comes back.  That's a temporary workaround. 

Screenshot 2024-08-16 173053.png

Screenshot 2024-08-16 174446.png

Screenshot 2024-08-16 185802.png

Edited by yvesrn

On 8/17/2024 at 9:45 AM, yvesrn said:

Has anyone reported an issue where LB, when minimized, no longer launches each time you click on the icon. It just creates additional instances.  I have to use task manager to kill all the processes and then click on the icon again to get it to launch.  It's a major issue in that you can't minimize lb without having to use task manager, kill all the processes then launch again.  

I'm sharing the discord exchange with JoeViking for additional context.

JoeViking245 — Yesterday at 6:44 PM
But you're on beta.    Whether it was an issue before beta, I'd have to open a different copy to confirm.  But I see what you're seeing; when you minimize LB, then double-click the desktop icon (or click the shortcut on your taskbar) it opens a new background process.  Whereas if you click the minimized app on the taskbar, it brings it back up, without any background processes being added.

RN — Yesterday at 6:46 PM
I can’t bring LB back by clicking on the minimized app in the taskbar.  Each time I click, it adds a background process.
[6:48 PM]
I have a shortcut in the taskbar.
[6:49 PM]
If you’re confirming that you’re seeing the same thing as I am, that’s a relief.

JoeViking245 — Yesterday at 6:49 PM
Don't click the shortcut after minimizing.   Maybe check your settings in Tools - Options - System Tray.?.  I've never messed with them.  But, here at least, clicking the minimized app in the tray restores without creating a new background process.
[6:50 PM]
But clicking the 'shortcut' does create the background process. (edited)

YRN — Yesterday at 6:50 PM
So is it “safe” to say this is beta related?  (Ie will get resolved eventually)?
[6:51 PM]
I just started seeing this issue the past few weeks.  First time reporting it.

JoeViking245 — Yesterday at 6:51 PM
Ya.  I just tried a non-beta release and it did the same thing.

YRN   I've also confirmed that by just clicking the taskbar mini icon bottom right taskbar, LB does restore.  It comes back.  That's a temporary workaround. 

Screenshot 2024-08-16 173053.png

Screenshot 2024-08-16 174446.png

Screenshot 2024-08-16 185802.png

Thanks for the report, we'll look into this.

On 8/18/2024 at 1:50 AM, cheguewara said:

When a given Platform is selected in Launchbox and then use Tools->Scan->For added xxx-Roms

I get this Error message

LaunchBox_1n7SEThVhB.jpg

This is most likely specific to your data files. It's possible one of your platform's game folders is pointing to a location that no longer exists.

18 hours ago, launchretrogirl2562 said:

I get the following notifications from launchbox when opening the emulators window :
LBdolphinemulators.thumb.PNG.b3a73606a0a70f250e8b3b1581f2ff2b.PNG

My parameters with dolphin are -b -e

I checked github and they have them as correct on their information page
https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/blob/master/Readme.md
dolphin.thumb.PNG.3ec9285aa855e366cdfc30a76cca3b4d.PNG

Did something change due to last version?
I am running 13.16 beta2

If you go to Tools > Manage > Plugins, what Dolphin plugin version are you on? If there are any updates, definitely download them.

8 hours ago, faeran said:

Thanks for the report, we'll look into this.

If you go to Tools > Manage > Plugins, what Dolphin plugin version are you on? If there are any updates, definitely download them.

Plugin version for dolphin is 1.2 (released 26 july)
There are no updates available for the plugin.
and I have downloaded the emulator for dolphin with version 2407-240

On 8/18/2024 at 1:50 AM, cheguewara said:

When a given Platform is selected in Launchbox and then use Tools->Scan->For added xxx-Roms

I get this Error message

LaunchBox_1n7SEThVhB.jpg

I'm seeing this error message when adding roms and creating a new platform. Logs aren't registering it either.

11 hours ago, SqHd said:

I'm seeing this error message when adding roms and creating a new platform. Logs aren't registering it either.

Based on the limited info, I'm going to guess this is unrelated to beta and potentially user data related. If you'd like, zip up your Data folder and PM it over to me and I can take a look.

4 minutes ago, launchretrogirl2562 said:

Are there any further details about this issue?

Based on what you said so far, we've been unable to recreate this. Send me a PM and we could try and troubleshoot this with you.

On 8/18/2024 at 3:43 PM, launchretrogirl2562 said:

I get the following notifications from launchbox when opening the emulators window :
LBdolphinemulators.thumb.PNG.b3a73606a0a70f250e8b3b1581f2ff2b.PNG

My parameters with dolphin are -b -e

I checked github and they have them as correct on their information page
https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/blob/master/Readme.md
dolphin.thumb.PNG.3ec9285aa855e366cdfc30a76cca3b4d.PNG

Did something change due to last version?
I am running 13.16 beta2

9 hours ago, launchretrogirl2562 said:

Are there any further details about this issue?

I dont think this is beta related. I posted about this last week in  the trouble shooting section. I am not running beta and still get the error when checking for updates. I am using the correct version of the emulator and plugin and also deleted and reinstalled the emulator. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jabb3rJaw said:

I dont think this is beta related. I posted about this last week in  the trouble shooting section. I am not running beta and still get the error when checking for updates. I am using the correct version of the emulator and plugin and also deleted and reinstalled the emulator. 

I discovered the cause of the issue.
I had two dolphin versions installed. One for Nintendo Gamecube and WII. One for Sega Triforce.

The dolphin version required to run Triforce are only the older versions of dolphin found here : https://dolphin-emu.org/download/list/Triforce/

The notification thus comes from the triforce dolphin.
I think the dolphin plugin also checks that version and throws the notification error.

However, from my knowledge,...Sega Triforce can only be run in one of the older builds of dolphin from the list of versions in the link above.

So either I have to get used to getting two notification popups each time I open the manage emulators screen OR the dolphin plugin or other code needs to take into account that Sega Triforce can only be run in those older versions of dolphin.

• Like 1