LaunchBox Community Forums

WoodPanels 3.7.0

(6 reviews)

14 Screenshots

About This File

WoodPanels has the old school retro feel of playing games on an old TV in a room with bad, green carpeting, but golden wooden paneled walls.  The video game console or platform appears above or beside the television to match that look and feel.  It is paired with a set of 8-bit fonts to complete the experience.

• Designed for 16:9 screens on a 1080p monitor.
  • Unique views for 47 platforms with game videos, game 3D/2D box art, and game cart images.
  • Consoles are paired with one of five different TVs from the same decade they were released.
  • "Wall View" for looking at game boxes on shelves is accompanied by the platform logo and image of the original console packaging.

Trailer:

Installation and Setup Instructions:

Spoiler

Unzip in LaunchBox/Themes/WoodPanels. In BigBox under Options>Views>Theme> choose "WoodPanels"
1. To ensure you're viewing the image of the console and TV alongside the game list, go into the BigBox Menu (hit Esc on your keyboard or back on your controller) and select "View Platforms".
2. To view the carousel of devices in your platform view, go into Options>Views>Platform List View> and select "Platform Wheel 1".
3. Lastly, to make sure you keep this view the next time you start BigBox, go into Options>Views>Default Startup View> and select "Platforms".
4. For N64, SNES, Jaguar, Genesis, Sega 32X, Atari 5200, and NeoGeo, you need to download the game cart images AND you need to set your LaunchBox settings so your fallback images are disabled for this, otherwise when you have a missing game cart image it will pull something else and look...bad.  LaunchBox Options>Media>Cart Front Priorities>Uncheck all but "Cart - Front"
5. To enable a the "Wall View", change BigBox Options>Views>Games List View>Wall View.  Switch it back to "Text List with Details" if you decide to go back.

To replace the background image (in case you don't literally want wood panels), just replace the png with your desired 1080p background image (png file) under the directory:
\LaunchBox\Themes\WoodPanels\Media\Background\

Startup Video:

Spoiler

This is a startup video I created for my theme.  It features a logo for "Nescade" which is what I call my multi-emulator PC, as it sits inside of an old Nintendo's shell.  I commissioned Rushjet1 a while back to compose an original piece of 8-bit music specifically for this video.  Hope you all enjoy it!

Instructions for use: Place video file in the LaunchBox folder under /Videos/Startup/

Theme was created using the COMMUNITY Theme Creator by @y2guru

Edited by BMovieBen
number of systems supported increased

What's New in Version 3.7.0   See changelog

Released

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Game On 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Great stuff. I would echo what the review says with regards to adding additional backgrounds and screens according to taste. Keep up the good work and I look forward to what you do next.

• Like 1

I'm really digging the style and simplicity of this theme! However, it would be great if the box artwork were somehow incorporated into the games list layout. Otherwise, fantastic work!

• Like 1

Great theme !

I just change the background for something abstract, it makes the theme more in my taste!

I love it, thank you very much for your work :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sqdz said:

Great theme !

I just change the background for something abstract, it makes the theme more in my taste!

I love it, thank you very much for your work :)

Thanks! And very cool - would love to see how you've customized it. 

On 2/11/2020 at 10:18 PM, bundangdon said:

I'm really digging the style and simplicity of this theme! However, it would be great if the box artwork were somehow incorporated into the games list layout. Otherwise, fantastic work!

Box art has been added to version 2.1.0 as requested

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BMovieBen said:

Box art has been added to version 2.1.0 as requested

Great work! Thank you very much for the update

On 4/23/2020 at 8:55 PM, BMovieBen said:

Thanks! And very cool - would love to see how you've customized it. 

Hi ! Sorry for my late reply, well it's not a crazy custom.. because I just got an abstract background from Google image... It could be better, but I pretty like it like this :-)

list.jpg

main.jpg

• Unusual Gem 1

Hi everyone please fill out this brief survey which will help inform me of whether or not to include support for cart images (certain platforms only) in the next major version:

https://form.responster.com/4urxVf

Edit: Closed!  The people have spoken, and this has been done.  Please see the latest version.

Edited by BMovieBen

On 5/6/2020 at 12:17 AM, shinerlaaaa said:

Please add Sinclair ZX Spectrum in next update please :)

It is done!  Please see the latest version here. (it takes time to get approval through BigBox proper)

14 minutes ago, BMovieBen said:

It is done!  Please see the latest version here. (it takes time to get approval through BigBox proper)

your a superstar mate ?

• Game On 1

I would enjoy a view that gave game info like release date and number of players and same with consoles. I love this theme but the only thing that would make it better for me would be loading all the metadata and displaying it.  I have a lot of multidisc games too and its confusing what disc is what as well.

Edited by retrogamer459

20 hours ago, retrogamer459 said:

I would enjoy a view that gave game info like release date and number of players and same with consoles. I love this theme but the only thing that would make it better for me would be loading all the metadata and displaying it.  I have a lot of multidisc games too and its confusing what disc is what as well.

I chose to hide that information for a clean look, but I'm not opposed to making an alternate version for you.  Where would you recommend I put that metadata?

On 1/5/2021 at 5:29 PM, BMovieBen said:

I chose to hide that information for a clean look, but I'm not opposed to making an alternate version for you.  Where would you recommend I put that metadata?

Maybe bottom right?

Heres the most important things i came up with

Number of players

Region

Release date/publisher

Description

Maybe a file name to show what disc a multidisc game is. Not sure this is needed still new to launchbox

Any more data seems like a bonus. Thank you!

I have also seen some themes that use icons to display this data like a picture that says 1p 2p 4p etc along with genre icons and ratings, etc.  Some things dont even need to be text although i think i would prefer looking at nicely laid out text

Is it possible to add your own console picture (for what sits on top of the TV)? I tried to add a PS3, by adding the picture in DeviceFront and naming it the same as the platform, but it didn't work. 

1 hour ago, Maul83 said:

Is it possible to add your own console picture (for what sits on top of the TV)? I tried to add a PS3, by adding the picture in DeviceFront and naming it the same as the platform, but it didn't work. 

In theory? It's probably just easier if I add it to the theme proper. If you have a good image of the console / controller to use please send it on over and I'll add it to the theme.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, BMovieBen said:

In theory? It's probably just easier if I add it to the theme proper. If you have a good image of the console / controller to use please send it on over and I'll add it to the theme.

Thanks, hopefully these work well, I added the box cause I figure if you are gonna do those 2 you probably want to do the box too. 

Sony Playstation 3.png

ps3 controller.jpg

box.jpg

• Thanks 1

@Maul83 I updated it to support PlayStation 3.  Please take a look and let me know if anything is off.

@retrogamer459 Still working on trying out your request; it will take some more time.

I have updated the theme here for now; will submit it for inclusion in BigBox proper later on.

5 minutes ago, BMovieBen said:

@Maul83 I updated it to support PlayStation 3.  Please take a look and let me know if anything is off.

@retrogamer459 Still working on trying out your request; it will take some more time.

I have updated the theme here for now; will submit it for inclusion in BigBox proper later on.

Thank you, just let me know if you want me to test it when your ready.

3 hours ago, BMovieBen said:

Looks great! Thanks for adding that! 

• Thanks 1

@retrogamer459 Alright here's what I got mocked up.  I had to kill the gigantic baseboard to make room.  Is this what you're looking for?  Also, as far as the disc number, if you set up your games correctly then you should only have one listing per game, not one per disc.  It's different depending on the system and emulator you're using but as far as LaunchBox goes it's pretty easy.  See this thread for some info

woodpanels meta mockup.jpg

On 1/15/2021 at 6:29 PM, BMovieBen said:

@retrogamer459 Alright here's what I got mocked up.  I had to kill the gigantic baseboard to make room.  Is this what you're looking for?  Also, as far as the disc number, if you set up your games correctly then you should only have one listing per game, not one per disc.  It's different depending on the system and emulator you're using but as far as LaunchBox goes it's pretty easy.  See this thread for some info

woodpanels meta mockup.jpg

? When can i test?

Is there also info in platform view?  I enjoy seeing when a system was released and a little info on it when browsing.

This seems to cover all the bases.

Thanks for your hard work!

Edited by retrogamer459

Excited for the version with additional info!  How close do you suspect you are to releasing it?  My project is coming along rather nicely and I think this will be the finishing touch to bring it all together.  3d printing a case to merge my external hdd with my mini pc now.