LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroMags - [Theme Workshop] 1.3

(0 reviews)

6 Screenshots

About This File

RetroMags was built during a Theme Workshop live stream. If you are interested in creating themes, subscribe to the Unbroken Software YouTube channel.

RetroMags

A Big Box theme designed to look like the Retro Magazine's of old.

The theme was designed using the COMMUNITY Theme Creator, along with some manual code changes in order to utilize the new wheel CoverFlow features not yet currently in the Theme Creator.

This theme relies on 1 System Hardware graphic and 3 platform specific game graphics for each platform/playlist/category. I did not include a graphic for every platform out there. If people would like to help contribute platform specific graphics, PM me, or post in this thread and I'll add them to the main theme in a future update.

Graphic locations:

• System Hardware: LaunchBox\Themes\RetroMags\Media\Console Images
  • Graphic 1: LaunchBox\Themes\RetroMags\Media\Platform Image 1
  • Graphic 2: LaunchBox\Themes\RetroMags\Media\Platform Image 2
  • Graphic 3: LaunchBox\Themes\RetroMags\Media\Platform Image 3

Please note:

• The COMMUNITY Theme Creator Project Files are provided for you to learn. If you would like to publish the theme, it will be missing the Platform Wheel and the 2 Wall View wheels. These would have to be added back manually to the theme. They can be found in the theme files within their respective xaml files.

Watch this theme being built:

Credits

COMMUNITY Theme Creator by @y2guru. Find it here: https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/file/2115-community-theme-creator-for-bigbox/
Rincewind's awesome character graphic's pack is included (at a much reduced resolution)
Subscribe to catch future live stream: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSIht6UXIEXIgz4eXAEShxA

What's New in Version 1.3   See changelog

Released

• Fixed: Issue with the image fallback for Selected Item Video (only seen when a user did not have any videos in their library).

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Game On 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Was very excited to try this but unfortunately it doesn't work properly at 3840x1080. The elements spread across the screen in the wrong positions. Most other themes handle this by displaying at 1920x1080 and having black bars on the left and right instead, which I don't mind. Hoping this is something that is easy to fix for my super niche resolution :D

image.thumb.png.0536c7d42947ae4e56c9aec29ff9e42a.png

Edited by Flipbug

4 hours ago, Flipbug said:

Was very excited to try this but unfortunately it doesn't work properly at 3840x1080. The elements spread across the screen in the wrong positions. Most other themes handle this by displaying at 1920x1080 and having black bars on the left and right instead, which I don't mind. Hoping this is something that is easy to fix for my super niche resolution :D

image.thumb.png.0536c7d42947ae4e56c9aec29ff9e42a.png

This should be easy enough to fix. I would just need to click on the button that will force a 16:9 screen ratio. I'm guessing the theme itself is set to stretch instead of forced.

If you don't want to wait for my update, then you can go into the theme's folder: \\LaunchBox\Themes\RetroMags

Find the file called: ThemeSettings.XML, open up in a text editor and change this line to "true".

<Force16X9AspectRatio>false</Force16X9AspectRatio>

<Force16X9AspectRatio>false</Force16X9AspectRatio>

For me when I launch BigBox with this theme for the first game I choose the screenshot shows correctly above the game description on the right page of the magazine but when I change the game there is a flip animation and the screenshot disappears. Is there any solution to this?

On 10/29/2022 at 12:20 PM, Cheetos said:

For me when I launch BigBox with this theme for the first game I choose the screenshot shows correctly above the game description on the right page of the magazine but when I change the game there is a flip animation and the screenshot disappears. Is there any solution to this?

I'm not really sure what you mean by this. You have any screenshots that could help shed some light?

• Unusual Gem 1

47 minutes ago, faeran said:

I'm not really sure what you mean by this. You have any screenshots that could help shed some light?

I recorded a short video.

1 hour ago, Cheetos said:

I recorded a short video.

Thanks, that helps. So, you are using the view that's supposed to display a video there, but since you don't have a video, it falls back to a screenshot, and your transition user setting seems to be causing something funky from happening. I'll look at the theme code and see if I can decipher what's going on there. In the meantime, can you change the video transition to something like Fade, and see if you are still seeing the screenshots disappear?

• Game On 1

I see. I didn't know it was supposed to be a video there. I just downloaded it from inside launchbox. I'll change the transition and see.

Fade just showed the image of the first game but didn't show anything on the others. Same with other transitions. I went to theme-specific options menu and reset it. It showed the cover of the game normally where the disappearing images would be but now I lost my games list. The platform list shows but when I go into a platform the game list is empty. I went to manage themes menu and clicked Repair from there. Right now it's re-downloading the theme. I think when I installed Retromags it was using the settings of my previous theme. Probably why this happened.

edit: Repairing it got me back to where I started. I think I need to figure out how to bring the cover image above game details through options.

Edited by Cheetos

I could get game box/cover image above game details on the right page by changing the views but then the game list on the left disappears. Not sure what's wrong. If switch back to text list with details view then game list comes back but the disappearing images on the right issue comes back. Also, wall view from manage themes screen under views don't activate. not sure if it's still in development. If I switch to wall view from theme-specific options under Retromags, the game list doesn't show. I think it's supposed to show the game covers/boxes on the left but it's empty.

Edited by Cheetos

14 minutes ago, Cheetos said:

I could get game box/cover image above game details on the right page by changing the views but then the game list on the left disappears. Not sure what's wrong. If switch back to text list with details view then game list comes back but the disappearing images on the right issue comes back. Also, wall view from manage themes screen under views don't activate. not sure if it's still in development. If I switch to wall view from theme-specific options under Retromags, the game list doesn't show. I think it's supposed to show the game covers/boxes on the left but it's empty.

Everything you are describing except the video element disappearing after the first game is meant to be that way. Themes are made up of different views. Each view has different element on the screen depending on what the theme developers wants to display. By changing from the Text List View to a Wall View, it went from showing a menu that was a list of games to a wall of screenshots. And yes, I don't believe the system is set up to activate wall views from the manage themes section, you will need to set up a hotkey and change views using that when you are on a game's view.

Again, I'll look into the video element issue when I get some time, thanks for reporting it.

• Thanks 1

No worries. Take your time. My wall view looks like this. I don't think it's normal because the left page is empty. The screenshots of the theme shows this empty page filled with cover/box art. Correct me if I'm wrong.

image.thumb.jpeg.8c356c40cd164ef94f10fcc51eb51104.jpeg

9 hours ago, Cheetos said:

No worries. Take your time. My wall view looks like this. I don't think it's normal because the left page is empty. The screenshots of the theme shows this empty page filled with cover/box art. Correct me if I'm wrong.

image.thumb.jpeg.8c356c40cd164ef94f10fcc51eb51104.jpeg

Yeah, that's a bit of a mess, and really kind of points to a potential issue with your computer. Make sure your drivers and such are updated on your computer, and I know that there are certain programs/services that mess with .NET core applications, like the nahimic service. Make sure you don't have that service running as well.

I don't have nahimic service. I do windows updates as they come and I also checked my drivers with a third-party tool. only a network adapter driver seems to be outdated. would this cause the theme to work incorrectly?

image.thumb.png.c12185a78ac3b39494dcd4e85f5a0813.png

2 hours ago, Cheetos said:

I don't have nahimic service. I do windows updates as they come and I also checked my drivers with a third-party tool. only a network adapter driver seems to be outdated. would this cause the theme to work incorrectly?

Do you have an Intel integrated GPU? Something like Iris XE graphics? If so there is known issues with that iGPU and WPF. If you do check this post out where another user found a solution to the issue: 

My video card is Nvidia 1070. I tried to mess with the anti-aliasing settings from nvidia control panel for bigbox as well to no avail.

Loving this theme so far for platform selection, it is almost perfect. But there are a few issues I thought I should bring up in case you aren't aware of them. I started incorporating auto-generated playlists into my platform categories, and because those do not have all the detail input fields that a standard platform has, there are values missing in the 'Coming in __ by __' dock as well as the '__ Games of __ player fun!' frame. The same issues also apply to my 'Computers' and 'Consoles' platform categories. I pretty much fixed these issues for myself by messing with visibility conditions - whether or not the platform notes is populated. Still, thought I'd let you know. Thank you for the theme.

1 hour ago, Doonyolyo said:

Loving this theme so far for platform selection, it is almost perfect. But there are a few issues I thought I should bring up in case you aren't aware of them. I started incorporating auto-generated playlists into my platform categories, and because those do not have all the detail input fields that a standard platform has, there are values missing in the 'Coming in __ by __' dock as well as the '__ Games of __ player fun!' frame. The same issues also apply to my 'Computers' and 'Consoles' platform categories. I pretty much fixed these issues for myself by messing with visibility conditions - whether or not the platform notes is populated. Still, thought I'd let you know. Thank you for the theme.

Thanks @Doonyolyo. Yeah, you are probably right that this theme could use those conditions/triggers to help with this sort of thing, I may circle back myself and update it at some point, but glad you were able to use the CTC files to mess with it and get yourself into a better position.

• Thanks 1