LaunchBox Community Forums

Playstation 1 - Animated Overlay for Retroarch 1.0.1

(4 reviews)

4 Screenshots

About This File

Created this idea , of an hybrid animated control with a Classic Playstation 1 console style.

• Full HD 1920x1080 Resolution
  • 16:9 Screen Ratio
  • Animated Buttons

Recommended Video scale settings: (for a 16:9 screen ratio monitor)

SETTINGS >> VIDEO >> SCALING

•     INTEGER SCALE: OFF
  •     ASPECT RATIO: 4:3
  •     CROP OVERSCAN: ON

Use this setting on fullscreen and you should be good to go.

NOTE: Buttons should be responsive to touch/mouse clicks, But was intended to be used as a decorative/cosmetic overlay/border. DO NOT use on systems without hard controls (joypads/keyboards) as it doesn´t have access to the retroarch menu, you'll be stuck! (Mobile compatibily coming in the future)

See it in action:

Edited by fercho
added a video - add problem note - updated description - updated screenshots - updated description - title change

What's New in Version 1.0.1   See changelog

Released

No changelog available for this version.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Unusual Gem 4

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

All RetroArch users NEED this for EVERY single platform. ❤️ ❤️❤️ 1 problem though. When I press R2, the R2 button doesn't animate but when I press L2, both L2 and R2 buttons animate.

Edited by Azgorath
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Azgorath said:

All RetroArch users NEED this for EVERY single platform. ❤️ ❤️❤️ 1 problem though. When I press R2, the R2 button doesn't animate but when I press L2, both L2 and R2 buttons animate.

YES! Just found out about that, i was using L2 button as my FFWD hotkey, so i thought that was the problem, I am working on that, Thanks for reporting.

8 minutes ago, Sbaby said:

Fantastic😍

I want it for all platforms now 😁

Thank you!🙂 I have Super Nintendo And Sega Genesis/Megadrive on mind for future realeases.

5 minutes ago, fercho said:

Thank you!🙂 I have Super Nintendo And Sega Genesis/Megadrive on mind for future realeases.

I look forward with much excitement

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Azgorath said:

File updated, fixed the problem with L2 and R2,  enjoy!

• Thanks 1

Excellent effort - I'm sure this took a lot of trial and error.

Quick question: I'm running on a 4K monitor. Would I need to change any values for this to work properly, or can I use as-is?

Yeah a lot  of time for the buttons position and size, the format retroarch uses for that is really weird.

Did  not try it  on a 4k monitor, but if your screen ratio is 16:9 you should be fine, regardless what resolution you are using.

If not,  you've got to adjust the overlay settings on retroarch to stretch and fill the whole screen, I try it on my phone (which is bigger that 16:9) and got black bars on the sides, with the buttons missplaced, So in the worst case, that would happen to you, but can be fixed in the overlay settings.

Remember to keep the video screen scale to 4:3 as i set it up to that zise as base:

SETTINGS >> VIDEO >> SCALING: 

INTEGER SCALE: OFF

ASPECT RATIO: 4:3

CROP OVERSCAN: ON

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, fercho said:

Yeah a lot  of time for the buttons position and size, the format retroarch uses for that is really weird.

Did  not try it  on a 4k monitor, but if your screen ratio is 16:9 you should be fine, regardless what resolution you are using.

If not,  you've got to adjust the overlay settings on retroarch to stretch and fill the whole screen, I try it on my phone (which is bigger that 16:9) and got black bars on the sides, with the buttons missplaced, So in the worst case, that would happen to you, but can be fixed in the overlay settings.

Remember to keep the video screen scale to 4:3 as i set it up to that zise as base:

SETTINGS >> VIDEO >> SCALING: 

INTEGER SCALE: OFF

ASPECT RATIO: 4:3

CROP OVERSCAN: ON

Thanks, I'll give this a try when I get home later today.

12 hours ago, tycho1974 said:

Thanks, I'll give this a try when I get home later today.

I tried the overlay, and I got the base image to show up, but the buttons were not responsive. I'm not using the latest version of RetroArch (got my build to a point where everything worked and stopped updating), so that might be it.

On 5/18/2022 at 10:51 PM, tycho1974 said:

I tried the overlay, and I got the base image to show up, but the buttons were not responsive. I'm not using the latest version of RetroArch (got my build to a point where everything worked and stopped updating), so that might be it.

Problably that's the problem,  Also check in the overlay menu section, if there is an option enabled  called "show inputs on overlay" and that "show inputs from port" is set to number 1 , if those options are not there, you need to update retroarch to make it work.

• Thanks 1

On 5/21/2022 at 1:41 AM, fercho said:

Problably that's the problem,  Also check in the overlay menu section, if there is an option enabled  called "show inputs on overlay" and that "show inputs from port" is set to number 1 , if those options are not there, you need to update retroarch to make it work.

This was the solution - I had to enable the "show inputs on overlay" option, as I had it previously disabled. Thanks!

Edited by tycho1974
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, tycho1974 said:

This was the solution - I had to enable the "show inputs on overlay" option, as I had it previously disabled. Thanks!

Awesome!