LaunchBox Community Forums

Griddle BannerView 2.0.0

(0 reviews)

12 Screenshots

About This File

****** NOTE THIS THEME IS BUILT FOR STEAM STYLE BANNERS FOR THE FLOWCONTROL WHEEL. IF YOU WOULD RATHER USE BOXART THEN DONWLOAD THE THEME GRIDDLE BOXVIEW INSTEAD *********

Following on from the NesicaxLive theme I created previously this is my second theme - GRIDDLE

Unlike the Nesica theme this theme should scale correctly to most 16:9/16:10 resolutions. I have tested at 1080p but the theme has been built with images sized suitably for 4k displays. If anyone has a 4k display and would like to test this and feedback in the comments section that would be appreciated.

Also as with the Nesica theme I created this theme has additional elements included within it for Publisher/Developer logos to be displayed and also controller layouts to be shown for each platform. I have also included in seperate zip files below the platform fanart I have used in the screenshots above should you want to do the same in your setup (note unlike theme itself which is drawn to 4k the fanart are only 1080p but should scale ok up to 1080p). With regards the game/platform videos I recommend using default videos for this theme without other elements to keep the look clean and in 4:3 ratio where possible - videos shown in screenshots are all available from emumovies.

If you want to change or add additional controller layout images you just need to drop the images into the following directory within your Launchbox directory /Themes/Griddle/Images/Controls/Platform Name (you may need to create the relevant Platform Name if it does not already exist)

All views are the same layout but with different colour themes applied. This allows you to set each platform to a different colour scheme but whilst keeping a consistent look and feel throughout.

Any issues, recommendations etc. are always welcome.

For anyone who has posted on the Nesica theme I am going back and working on that one currently to make that one responsive so it scales to other resolutions and also adding in some of the features from this theme so expect a 2.0 Nesica release soon.

Thanks

Platform_FanArt.zip

What's New in Version 2.0.0   See changelog

Released

Major update of the Griddle theme.

Changes in this version include:

• Fixed issue with music notification popup
  • Added search index when browsing for games (A-Z and Search bar)
  • Now added information showing number of games available and completed for all platforms and filters (big thanks to @eatkinola for the plugin for this!)
  • Improved controller images/layouts
  • Added artwork and assets for most popular platforms/playlists
  • Removed all animated gif elements and all animation now done via code
  • Improved performance of theme
  • Slight changes to layout including removal of Max Players wheel which has been replaced with Publisher Logos and added shadowing and other effects

Griddle.zip

• Like 11

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Very cool and interesting theme, nice to have the controller mappings as well but that Genesis controller could be better. It should be the 6 button controller and the left trigger should not be the C button. A B C should X A B or A B Y on the XBox controller if using only 3 buttons. For 6 buttons A B C should be X A B and X Y Z should LB Y RB. Now of course it could be modified for personal tastes but that really is the most logical layout IMHO.

Thanks for the feedback. I had it set like that as using on a cabinet but meant to change to a more standard layout before uploading but forgot.

easy for me to correct that, I'll go through the controls this week and upload a new minor version with controls corrected. 

Your last theme was awesome, I can't wait to check this one out!

I actually started creating these templates in anticipation of this theme coming out. Not sure if you, or anyone would want to use them, but I thought they'd be cool if anyone wanted to set things up on a per-game basis.

Edited by Pyrometheous

Thanks for all the positive feedback. @Pyrometheous Hope you like it. Those templates you uploaded look very good and are very similar to the ones in this theme. Having templates that are easy for users to edit would definitely be a good thing. I have the template file for the ones I created. If anyone's interested I can upload those as well?

@shro2016 overall, I like somethings, and dislike others. I do like how you can change the background color by using the views, and I love that "Free Play' is still a GIF in the corners. My only complaint is that there isn't a way (unless I'm being really derpy about it) to change the size of the covers. I don't like how the covers get cropped. In your previous Theme, you could change the views to reflect different sizes for the covers. Ideally, I like to have the covers all fitting within the borders, and then have the front/center one a bit larger. 

Aside from that one complaint, you've done an incredible job. Sorry it took me a bit to get back to you. I'm planning on doing controllers/company logos for my games, I've just got this whole "real life" thing going on with other projects. It's been a crazy hot summer here and I've been installing ceiling fans in every room, a second swamp cooler, and I have a bunch of fans setup to route cold air throughout the house. It's been quite...time consuming and expensive. I've still got to install some tinting on the second half of the house. I can't wait until Autumn right now :P A perpetual nice cool breeze would be amazing!

Anyway, awesome work like always, I'm looking forward to the tinkering/customizing I can do with your themes. Not sure if this is possible, but, on the theme level, is it possible to have a gameplay video on the game selection screen, and then the trailer for the game on the game screen? So you see a preview of the game, and then when you select the game (before you play), you get the trailer for the game instead of the gameplay video again. I've been curious about this for a while, and I don't think BigBox natively supports that, but I thought I'd ask, since I haven't yet gotten my hands dirty with trying to create a Theme of my own. Keep it up Shro!

Edited by Pyrometheous
  • Like 1

Awesome theme! I'd use this as my main theme as soon as this is complete. :) I have a problem tho regarding my platform videos as these appear to be shifted upwards, thus not fitting the frame. Moreover, I'm wondering if there are recommended picture dimensions for the box art, background image, etc. in the games section? The box arts for example appear in different sizes in my Nintendo. 

Griddle.png

Griddle2.png

Hi @jarvey_14, since the last theme I made the decision to format the wheel from now on for Steam style Banner format. The reason for this was that setting the size for boxart fronts means that you can make the spacing appear right for some systems but not all and one system or another always ends up not looking right (more often than not SNES boxes are the worst looking and arcade flyers are all over the place). The same is also true if setting the wheel to display media as the carts/disk/floppies are different sizes so what looks right for one system does not look great for another. I have collated and also created quite a lot of banner images for the games I have and am happy to upload these if it would help people out with getting the theme to look right. There are also a number of great sites on the internet to get any that are missing for your collection - unfortunately Launchbox does not search these sources at present so it is  a manual job. The size for these banner images is 460x215 btw.

With regards the background image this is pulled from the existing game fanart and should scale correctly for any image that is 16:9 in dimension but I recommend 1920x1080 or larger for best viewing but 1280x720 does look ok.

As for the video I am unsure why it is doing that but this is a bug that I will fix. Is it only on the platforms screen where the video shifts out or does it also do this on the game select screens?

• Like 1

@Pyrometheous thanks for the comments. It seems a few people are disappointed I have focussed on banner style covers rather than supporting all media types. It would not be much work to be able to set this so that other media can be used but would require a new theme to be created as unlike the previous theme I have set this so each view just changes colour rather than wheel image type to keep the look consistent. I will try and get another theme created shortly as a variant of this one that allows for boxfront images instead of banner style images - I think that should also help @jarvey_14 have the theme displayed the way they would like as well.

With regards two different videos for a game (trailer and gameplay) I do not believe this is possible at present as believe each game can only have one video and I dont believe its possible to set a different video for game info screen to the game select screen @Jason Carr - is this possible in any way you can think of?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shro2016 said:

@Pyrometheous thanks for the comments. It seems a few people are disappointed I have focussed on banner style covers rather than supporting all media types. It would not be much work to be able to set this so that other media can be used but would require a new theme to be created as unlike the previous theme I have set this so each view just changes colour rather than wheel image type to keep the look consistent.

Wow, thank you. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help out.

3 minutes ago, shro2016 said:

With regards two different videos for a game (trailer and gameplay) I do not believe this is possible at present as believe each game can only have one video and I dont believe its possible to set a different video for game info screen to the game select screen @Jason Carr - is this possible in any way you can think of?

I did put in a feature request in regards to this. It's probably more of a niche feature, and I might be the only one that really cares, but I think it would be nice to not re-start the same video when you go from the platform game wheel to the game itself.

Once again, you've done an awesome job, and I'm actually using your new theme as my primary one right now. I've done a lot of work towards creating a lot of the PC box art, so I've got an emotional investment against changing it out for the banner images. :-P 

@Pyrometheous and @jarvey_14, was much quicker than I thought and have a new version of the theme being uploaded now called Griddle Boxview  (should be up in next 15 mins) - you can install this alongside this theme and switch between the themes as you wish. Only thing not sorted in either yet is the video dimensions issue @jarvey_14 reported which I cannot seem to replicate here - can you advise which videos you are using when this occurs?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shro2016 said:

@Pyrometheous and @jarvey_14, was much quicker than I thought and have a new version of the theme being uploaded now called Griddle Boxview  (should be up in next 15 mins) 

You rock! I can't wait to make some time to set this up and check it out :) This is gonna be awesome B|
Thank you for doing this @shro2016 I think it's really awesome of you to have gotten around to a new theme so quickly.

@Pyrometheous you're more than welcome and it was only a very slight change to the code on each view to change the format of the flowcontrol from banner style dimensions to one more suited to boxart. The theme is up now. I will also try to get the template for the controller layouts uploaded in the next few days too so that people can amend the controller layout images easily with GIMP GNU to their own setups.

3 hours ago, shro2016 said:

@Pyrometheous and @jarvey_14, was much quicker than I thought and have a new version of the theme being uploaded now called Griddle Boxview  (should be up in next 15 mins) - you can install this alongside this theme and switch between the themes as you wish. Only thing not sorted in either yet is the video dimensions issue @jarvey_14 reported which I cannot seem to replicate here - can you advise which videos you are using when this occurs?

Thank you very much for replying, @shro2016!! I appreciate the effort of making an new version of the theme for the boxes. :D  As for the videos, only the platform view is affected. I'm using Viking's Nostalgia (4x3 HD) platform videos. Tho I've tried the other 4x3 videos as well. Things work perfectly in the game wheel.

Great theme!  I seem to have something wrong in my setup though.  There's a video playing in the center of the view, but the box on the left is blank.  What's supposed to be in the box, and why might it be blank?  Thanks for any feedback!

R

6 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Turn off background videos in the options/Videos section.

Got it, thanks for letting me know.  Unfortunately that will mess up some other themes that use background videos. :) It actually looks pretty neat with a video in the middle, but the empty box isn't great of course.

Im having problem displaying videos or images on the left side box:

On platform view I cannot display an image!!! even if I have video as a background

I cannot display a video on the box an an image as a background!!! instead only a background as video will display.

On the game view I can display video on small box and image as background but cannot display video as a background an an image on the left box

Is there a way to configure?

Thanks