LaunchBox Community Forums

CoverBox 4.02

(27 reviews)

56 Screenshots

About This File

The CoverBox project is one where my goal is to recreate retro console's boxart as a BigBox Theme.

Each theme is designed for 1080p.

P.S. I created graphic assets for the star ratings. Please feel free to use them in your theme.

With the release of CoverBox 4.0, the theme has been completely ported over to the COMMUNITY Theme Creator. I now included the COMMUNITY Theme Creator files that you can use to load into the CTC to make any edits that you'd like. Please follow these instructions to do so:

• Make sure you already have a copy of the COMMUNITY Theme Creator, and you have it set up (link below)
  • Download both the Theme files and COMMUNITY Theme Creator files
  • Extract the COMMUNITY Theme Creator files into your COMMUNITY Theme Creator\My Theme Projects folder (don't forget to right click the archive, go into properties, and unblock the file)
  • Open the Theme files zip, go into the Fonts folder and install all the fonts in there.
  • Open the COMMUNITY Theme Creator, you should now find it in the dropdown list of themes

Installation Instructions

1. Download the CoverBox - Theme Files.zip file.
  2. Right click the file, go to properties and make sure to unblock the file
  3. Open the zip file and place the folder into the LaunchBox\Themes folder
  4. Select the CoverBox theme in BigBox

CoverBox Images

List of Supported Platforms

Spoiler
  • Atari 2600
  • Atari 5200
  • Atari 7800
  • ColecoVision
  • Mattel Intellivision
  • NEC TurboGrafx-16
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
  • Super Nintendo ENtertainment System
  • Nintendo 3DS
  • Nintendo 64
  • Nintendo DS
  • Nintendo GameCube
  • Nintendo Wii
  • Nintendo Wii U
  • Nintendo Game Boy
  • Nintendo Game Boy Color
  • Nintendo Virtual Boy
  • Nintendo Game Boy Advance
  • Sega Master System
  • Sega Mark III
  • Sega Genesis
  • Sega Mega Drive
  • Sega 32X
  • Sega Game Gear
  • Sega CD
  • Sega Saturn
  • Sega Dreamcast
  • SNK Neo Geo AES
  • Sony PlayStation
  • Sony PlayStation 2
  • Arcade
  • Atari Jaguar
  • Atari Lynx
  • NEC PC Engine
  • Nintendo Famicom
  • Nintendo Famicom Disk System
  • Nintendo Pokemon Mini
  • SNK Neo Geo CD
  • Sony PSP
  • Nintendo Switch
  • Microsoft Xbox
  • Windows
  • SNK Neo Geo Pocket
  • SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color
  • WonderSwan
  • WonderSwan Color
  • GCE Vectrex
  • 3DO Interactive Multiplayer

Thanks

What's New in Version 4.02   See changelog

Released

• Text List With Details - Platform videos and platform images should be the same width
  • Text List With Details - Animation has been added to the platform box images
  • Like 48
  • Thanks 15
  • Unusual Gem 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

11 hours ago, kim_sama98 said:

The Xbox Wheel Style Source doesn't work on the Theme Creator, I get a black screen and errors

Untitled-1.jpg.2dbcc9e121a9bbedbbcf5af07664fe1f.jpgUntitled-2.jpg.7e92bffe6fbc1143868d3f12dc4945db.jpg

Yes, the CTC doesn't have support to visualize this type of modification to the list box. This is just a current limitation to it. There should be a button called something like "designer friendly mode" which you can toggle to make it not error, and the list would show up in a white box.

2 hours ago, jvlk said:

Are you also planning to do one for the Playstation 3?

It's on the list, but it's probably not coming soon.

Will be taking a break from this theme for a bit, especially after it took a year to port to the CTC.

If anyone does have a good CoverBox layout idea for PlayStation 3 or other systems, I'd be happy to take a look at them.

• Like 1

Also I noticed your EA logos were overcropped.

2008256119_ElectronicArtsInc.thumb.png.ce049cd50df14263de13632fe57ffb2c.png

Electronic Arts and Electronic Arts Inc.

Here's a fixed version.

1554462991_ElectronicArts.thumb.png.712d051e73f2f850977f8a05b5705145.png

After updating from 3.0 to 4.01 I am getting an error when entering the Microsoft XBOX platform only.  I tried repairing the theme in BigBox as well.  Any ideas?  Please see attached screen cap.

Untitled.png

16 hours ago, sinistron said:

After updating from 3.0 to 4.01 I am getting an error when entering the Microsoft XBOX platform only.  I tried repairing the theme in BigBox as well.  Any ideas?  Please see attached screen cap.

Untitled.png

From the error message, looks like your system is having issues accessing the file located in your Themes\CoverBox\Media\Backgrounds folder, called Microsoft Xbox - Selected.png. I would first make sure that file is actually there.

Also, what version of LaunchBox are you on?

25 minutes ago, faeran said:

From the error message, looks like your system is having issues accessing the file located in your Themes\CoverBox\Media\Backgrounds folder, called Microsoft Xbox - Selected.png. I would first make sure that file is actually there.

Also, what version of LaunchBox are you on?

Ah, OK.  I am using the latest version of 12.9.  Also, is there any way of displaying the platform list view a different way but when you enter each individual platform it is the Coverbox version that you have thus far?  In relation to some of the systems that aren't available as of yet, how do I change it back to default view to your knowledge?

2 minutes ago, sinistron said:

Ah, OK.  I am using the latest version of 12.9.  Also, is there any way of displaying the platform list view a different way but when you enter each individual platform it is the Coverbox version that you have thus far?  In relation to some of the systems that aren't available as of yet, how do I change it back to default view to your knowledge?

I'm not 100% certain what you mean, but if you are trying to mix and match themes, you can do this either within the theme manager, or by setting a mapping to switch theme. With the mapping, you can navigate to the view you want and switch your theme, and it should save that selection. You can have different themes on a platform view vs. game view, and also have different themes used on a game view level, per platform.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the help!  One last question, is there a tutorial on how to have a specified view on the platform/games that aren't yet ready for the other Coverbox art?  Also I ensured I had the proper file there in regards to the error I am getting in the XBOX platform and also manually downloaded your Coverbox theme and replaced the file in case it is corrupt and I am encountering the same error.

Edited by sinistron

On 4/13/2022 at 5:47 PM, sinistron said:

Thanks for the help!  One last question, is there a tutorial on how to have a specified view on the platform/games that aren't yet ready for the other Coverbox art?  Also I ensured I had the proper file there in regards to the error I am getting in the XBOX platform and also manually downloaded your Coverbox theme and replaced the file in case it is corrupt and I am encountering the same error.

At this point, it's hard to say why that one view is giving you issues. The code seems sound, and is working fine on different builds of mine. I would just make sure you are not running LaunchBox or Big Box as an admin, or have any other permission related issues that could be causing it, like files that are read-only. However, if it's the only view causing you issues, it's hard to say why.

• Like 1

This is the best theme yet! I use this now except I noticed the NES and SNES themes aren't showing. Meaning its the generic grey background when I scroll my game list. All of my other platforms work well with their special backgrounds/themes. Is there a reason for this? I did a fresh install in addition to directly from BigBox and its the same problem. What do you suggest? Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Nealster said:

This is the best theme yet! I use this now except I noticed the NES and SNES themes aren't showing. Meaning its the generic grey background when I scroll my game list. All of my other platforms work well with their special backgrounds/themes. Is there a reason for this? I did a fresh install in addition to directly from BigBox and its the same problem. What do you suggest? Thanks.

I'd assume it has something to do with the name of your platform inside of LaunchBox. If it doesn't match the name of the view files it would do that.

3 hours ago, C-Beats said:

I'd assume it has something to do with the name of your platform inside of LaunchBox. If it doesn't match the name of the view files it would do that.

Ha! I was wondering about the "(NES)" and "(SNES)" sticking out in my list and I see your reply. Sure enough that solved the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) and some of Super Nintendo (SNES). Still can't get the background to work for the SNES game list but I'll take it from here. Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Nealster said:

Ha! I was wondering about the "(NES)" and "(SNES)" sticking out in my list and I see your reply. Sure enough that solved the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) and some of Super Nintendo (SNES). Still can't get the background to work for the SNES game list but I'll take it from here. Thanks.

Those two systems should be called:

• Super Nintendo Entertainment System

If they are not called that, then those views won't work. Having them named based on LaunchBox standards would solve a lot of theme related issues you may run into like this.

Alternatively, if you just want to solve this for CoverBox, you can go into the following folder, and rename the correct platform view files to match the names you have.

• LaunchBox\Themes\CoverBox\Views\TextGamesView
  • LaunchBox\Themes\CoverBox\Views\TextListView

14 minutes ago, faeran said:

Those two systems should be called:

• Super Nintendo Entertainment System

If they are not called that, then those views won't work. Having them named based on LaunchBox standards would solve a lot of theme related issues you may run into like this.

Alternatively, if you just want to solve this for CoverBox, you can go into the following folder, and rename the correct platform view files to match the names you have.

• LaunchBox\Themes\CoverBox\Views\TextGamesView
  • LaunchBox\Themes\CoverBox\Views\TextListView

Funny. I thought that was the standard(NES and SNES). Must have been so long ago that I added these games that I forgot it was me. Going to update all platforms to match Launchbox now. Thanks.

Great theme!! love the style of this. possibly my favourite theme to use. you are probably very busy but maybe a couple platform requests? Xbox360, AmigaCD32, Sinclair ZX Spectrum, PopCap....And possibly Sega Naomi, Sega Model 2.

And a really big ask if possible, A generic style for custom collections that shows the platform video and logo in the background instead of the grey flat background when selected.

I have a Mortal Kombat collection, Soul Callibur collection, Gun Games Collection and even a GamesMaster video collection. Of course it would be amazing if these were added as theme specific platforms like the current stylish ones already in use but obviously i don't expect that lol. I can hint though and happy to trade something in return 😬

Special Request If Possible.

Please on your ps2 section is it possible to add a ntsc /uc or pal or pal J overlay hovering the video. in rough relation to where it would be placed on the real covers on the ps2 it is consistant for pretty much all covers that little box is there. It would make my soul complete ;). The disc taking backspace in your design in my opinion is super slick looking btw.

Hello, here is my little contribution. I recently configure the EKA2L1 emulator to emulate Nokia N-Gage games. It's not as straight-forward as other emulators and platforms, but it's working. I then decided that it deserves its theme on the wonderful CoverBox theme. I quit my full-stack dev job for a backend only job, so yes, graphic design is no passion for me. Please take it for what it's worth.

1300648773_Screenshot(32).png

EDIT1: You'll need two fonts : https://www.dafont.com/n-gage.font and https://www.ffonts.net/01-DigitGraphics.font.download.

CoverBoxMod.zip

Edited by Self-Mao
  • Like 1

I love this style dude, at first I wasn't a fan but something clicked and I think its the best theme on LB by far. Are you still adding more themes are have you left it up to the community to fill in the blanks?

I've noticed the NEO GEO AES has some text issues where KOF has the letter spacing a bit too small (Shown in the image)

Lastly, I don't dl all media for games, usually just box front, clear logo and a still of gameplay, what other images does this theme work with (Such as 3d boxes, carts etc)?

Thanks for the hard work dude.

Untitled.png