LaunchBox Community Forums

CoverBox 4.02

(27 reviews)

56 Screenshots

About This File

The CoverBox project is one where my goal is to recreate retro console's boxart as a BigBox Theme.

Each theme is designed for 1080p.

P.S. I created graphic assets for the star ratings. Please feel free to use them in your theme.

With the release of CoverBox 4.0, the theme has been completely ported over to the COMMUNITY Theme Creator. I now included the COMMUNITY Theme Creator files that you can use to load into the CTC to make any edits that you'd like. Please follow these instructions to do so:

• Make sure you already have a copy of the COMMUNITY Theme Creator, and you have it set up (link below)
  • Download both the Theme files and COMMUNITY Theme Creator files
  • Extract the COMMUNITY Theme Creator files into your COMMUNITY Theme Creator\My Theme Projects folder (don't forget to right click the archive, go into properties, and unblock the file)
  • Open the Theme files zip, go into the Fonts folder and install all the fonts in there.
  • Open the COMMUNITY Theme Creator, you should now find it in the dropdown list of themes

Installation Instructions

1. Download the CoverBox - Theme Files.zip file.
  2. Right click the file, go to properties and make sure to unblock the file
  3. Open the zip file and place the folder into the LaunchBox\Themes folder
  4. Select the CoverBox theme in BigBox

CoverBox Images

List of Supported Platforms

Spoiler
  • Atari 2600
  • Atari 5200
  • Atari 7800
  • ColecoVision
  • Mattel Intellivision
  • NEC TurboGrafx-16
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
  • Super Nintendo ENtertainment System
  • Nintendo 3DS
  • Nintendo 64
  • Nintendo DS
  • Nintendo GameCube
  • Nintendo Wii
  • Nintendo Wii U
  • Nintendo Game Boy
  • Nintendo Game Boy Color
  • Nintendo Virtual Boy
  • Nintendo Game Boy Advance
  • Sega Master System
  • Sega Mark III
  • Sega Genesis
  • Sega Mega Drive
  • Sega 32X
  • Sega Game Gear
  • Sega CD
  • Sega Saturn
  • Sega Dreamcast
  • SNK Neo Geo AES
  • Sony PlayStation
  • Sony PlayStation 2
  • Arcade
  • Atari Jaguar
  • Atari Lynx
  • NEC PC Engine
  • Nintendo Famicom
  • Nintendo Famicom Disk System
  • Nintendo Pokemon Mini
  • SNK Neo Geo CD
  • Sony PSP
  • Nintendo Switch
  • Microsoft Xbox
  • Windows
  • SNK Neo Geo Pocket
  • SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color
  • WonderSwan
  • WonderSwan Color
  • GCE Vectrex
  • 3DO Interactive Multiplayer

Thanks

What's New in Version 4.02   See changelog

Released

• Text List With Details - Platform videos and platform images should be the same width
  • Text List With Details - Animation has been added to the platform box images
  • Like 48
  • Thanks 15
  • Unusual Gem 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

@faeran, as you can see on attached screenshot it looks pretty good!!!

If I can make a suggestion, the only thing i miss on theme is the possibility to see the name of the game complete somewhere. There are some games that are cutted on the list, could be cool to put the name of the game somewhere (i.e. below Sega logo or game clear logo). I know there is no space enough to put all info, but the name of the games are important. It's only a suggestion, of course. Your theme is beautiful as is.

2018-03-30_18h24_05.png

2 hours ago, Daliant said:

@faeran, as you can see on attached screenshot it looks pretty good!!!

If I can make a suggestion, the only thing i miss on theme is the possibility to see the name of the game complete somewhere. There are some games that are cutted on the list, could be cool to put the name of the game somewhere (i.e. below Sega logo or game clear logo). I know there is no space enough to put all info, but the name of the games are important. It's only a suggestion, of course. Your theme is beautiful as is.

2018-03-30_18h24_05.png

What do you think of this title position?

5abe85ac6846e_CoverBox-MasterSystem-43.thumb.png.2207c37883a5163c0545b78bd3225006.png

• Like 1

Tryed the other system themes, but are not too easy to fix to 4:3.

I never programed a them for Bigbox, but if I can help you to transform your creations to 4:3 view you can contact me. I'll be very glad to help you if I can.

Just now, faeran said:

What do you think of this title position?

5abe85ac6846e_CoverBox-MasterSystem-43.thumb.png.2207c37883a5163c0545b78bd3225006.png

I think it's perfect!!! Maintaining the clearity and with the same format as the other data. PERFECT!!!

2 minutes ago, Daliant said:

I think it's perfect!!! Maintaining the clearity and with the same format as the other data. PERFECT!!!

That's good to hear. Try it out. I've also managed to solve the sound issue. Let me know how it goes.

CoverBox - Master System - 43.zip

As far as others go. They will be much harder to convert to a 4:3 view. Would have to make a number of sacrifices to make some of them work. I would have to think really hard about each one individually.

3 minutes ago, faeran said:

That's good to hear. Try it out. I've also managed to solve the sound issue. Let me know how it goes.

CoverBox - Master System - 43.zip

As far as others go. They will be much harder to convert to a 4:3 view. Would have to make a number of sacrifices to make some of them work. I would have to think really hard about each one individually.

Sound problem fixed!!! Fantastic!!!

Theme looks beautiful as you can see!!!! Great job @faeran

I understand perfectly your comments about convert other themes. You need to do the best for the majority of the users. I understand today people have big TV or monitors with 16:9 format, but in my case decided to play my retro games in 4:3 format, and have my machine with this aspect ratio for all.

I think the experience is better for retro games in this format, and it's very difficult to find good themes with clear text and format (like yours) here.

Thank you so much for the work with this Master System Theme, at least this is my favourite system and for sure i'll use your theme for it. THANK YOU!!

2018-03-30_20h58_43.png

On 4/4/2018 at 4:29 PM, Juan-K said:

Can you make Game Boy Advance Video coverbox theme?

Possibly. But it may be down my list. Do people collect and watch these?

On 4/5/2018 at 3:31 PM, faeran said:

Possibly. But it may be down my list. Do people collect and watch these?

Well... I do xD

5 hours ago, Shinryu said:

And they are super super super amazing. Now i cant decide if i should still use unified or use coverbox. X-D

Thanks @Shinryu. It's always good to have more variety. Use both. I switch them up all the time. Here's an idea: auto theme switcher, which can randomize themes per platform, or change them on a schedule. That would make things interesting. 

These are awesome. Please could you make one for (mame) arcade games, with a similar look to the Sega Dreamcast one you created. I love the scanline overlay effect on the video, the big video size, and how the video is integrated into the design, by overlaying clear logos, and the platform logo on the left. Looking forward to seeing more releases for this series in the future. Great stuff.

• Like 1

These are awesome! thank you for doing all this work you deserve a lot of appreciation, looking forward too more in the future. (PS2 preferably :P) 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2018 at 8:13 PM, metrodigital said:

These are awesome. Please could you make one for (mame) arcade games, with a similar look to the Sega Dreamcast one you created. I love the scanline overlay effect on the video, the big video size, and how the video is integrated into the design, by overlaying clear logos, and the platform logo on the left. Looking forward to seeing more releases for this series in the future. Great stuff.

This wouldn't be too hard to do. I could figure something out for you if you want.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2018 at 10:52 PM, faeran said:

This wouldn't be too hard to do. I could figure something out for you if you want.

That would be great.

Here is a mockup I did of what I was thinking of. I'm sure you will be able to improve on it though. I thought the image that replaces the list could be the game poster. Posters might provide the most streamlined look as the arcade stuff is all different, like cabinets etc. The video screen might also need to be smaller to make space below for number of players and rating info, if you choose to include that. Thanks again for the great themes.

Arcade 01.jpg

Arcade 02.jpg

• Like 1

Amazing work :)

Will there be anything for Nintendo DS with that split screen?

Also I have a quick side question. If you were to like I am putting my entire LB folder on a external drive and moving around to my buddies and plugging into new computers. Do all the fonts need to be installed for every new computer? In that case I have to create a "LaunchBox dependencies" folder on the external drive for some pre-installs before running BigBox on a new computer.
Also as a follow up to that, are there any other things that needs to be installed on new computers that I plug my external drive into?

Edited by enurweb

2 hours ago, enurweb said:

Amazing work :)

Will there be anything for Nintendo DS with that split screen?

Also I have a quick side question. If you were to like I am putting my entire LB folder on a external drive and moving around to my buddies and plugging into new computers. Do all the fonts need to be installed for every new computer? In that case I have to create a "LaunchBox dependencies" folder on the external drive for some pre-installs before running BigBox on a new computer.
Also as a follow up to that, are there any other things that needs to be installed on new computers that I plug my external drive into?

Nintendo DS is definitely on a to-do list, however, the split screen makes it a little tricky. I'll have to think of something creative. Also, there's a set of video snaps going around that are not split screen, so when I do tackle this, I'll need to think of 2 separate designs.

For your questions, you will definitely have to install the fonts on any computer that you use. Putting them all in a folder, highlighting them all > right click install, would be the quickest way to do it.

Launchbox is fairly portable, as long as everything is relatively pathed, and windows dependencies are met, you'll be okay. You'll find out more about your specific build once you give it a try.

On 7/24/2018 at 8:40 PM, metrodigital said:

That would be great.

Here is a mockup I did of what I was thinking of. I'm sure you will be able to improve on it though. I thought the image that replaces the list could be the game poster. Posters might provide the most streamlined look as the arcade stuff is all different, like cabinets etc. The video screen might also need to be smaller to make space below for number of players and rating info, if you choose to include that. Thanks again for the great themes.

Arcade 01.jpg

Arcade 02.jpg

I can definitely make something like this for you. If you can PM me the PSD file you used to make the mock up, that would help with its creation.

Thanks for these! Hands down the best system themes on the planet! Look great with video snaps playing. Thanks so much for you hard work.

A few questions:

1. Not sure if this is an issue with the new PSX ones, or my setup, but the PSX ones don't seem to scale properly on anything except 1080p. The font is way too big on 720p, and the images are enlarged and don't fit together properly. This doesn't happen with any of the other Cover Box themes. They all scale properly to whatever res. Any ideas?

2. For the Sega CD and Genesis ones, the games list flips to the box art after a few seconds. Is there a way of disabling this so the games list is always visible? Looks lovely, but not very practical to have it flip (can't see the menu when you select the game for example). Also it's inconsistent with the other themes.

3. Some requests while I'm here if you don't mind :D

• Turbografx / PC Engine
  • PS2
  • Atari 2600
  • MSX 2
  • Amiga
  • PC / WIndows
  • DOS
  • Arcade

Appreciate the computer based ones are tricky because there is no consistent box art template.

Cheers!

3 minutes ago, eskay993 said:

Thanks for these! Hands down the best system themes on the planet! Look great with video snaps playing. Thanks so much for you hard work.

A few questions:

1. Not sure if this is an issue with the new PSX ones, or my setup, but the PSX ones don't seem to scale properly on anything except 1080p. The font is way too big on 720p, and the images are enlarged and don't fit together properly. This doesn't happen with any of the other Cover Box themes. They all scale properly to whatever res. Any ideas?

2. For the Sega CD and Genesis ones, the games list flips to the box art after a few seconds. Is there a way of disabling this so the games list is always visible? Looks lovely, but not very practical to have it flip (can't see the menu when you select the game for example). Also it's inconsistent with the other themes.

3. Some requests while I'm here if you don't mind :D

• Turbografx / PC Engine
  • PS2
  • Atari 2600
  • MSX 2
  • Amiga
  • PC / WIndows
  • DOS
  • Arcade

Appreciate the computer based ones are tricky because there is no consistent box art template.

Cheers!

Thanks for the comment @eskay993.

1. I know there are issues when changing resolutions, or changing your text scaling. I'll double check the PSX ones and see what I can do to fix them.

2. Yes, I was actually fairly reluctant to release them because of this. I was hoping to get a second text list view added to bigbox. Decided to release them in the end, however, I can release a set of them that removes the animation.

3. More CoverBox themes will definitely be coming :) Along with other themes that don't fit into the CoverBox mould.

• Like 1

Will be interested in following development on those things previous poster mentioned.

Would like to add request also for PSP theme :)

On 8/6/2018 at 6:01 PM, faeran said:

Thanks for the comment @eskay993.

1. I know there are issues when changing resolutions, or changing your text scaling. I'll double check the PSX ones and see what I can do to fix them.

2. Yes, I was actually fairly reluctant to release them because of this. I was hoping to get a second text list view added to bigbox. Decided to release them in the end, however, I can release a set of them that removes the animation.

3. More CoverBox themes will definitely be coming :) Along with other themes that don't fit into the CoverBox mould.

2. I really love seeing the box art appear on the side like that for some platforms. As far as I can see, those are the only platform themes that have box art. So in order to have a game detail list, I would have to trade away the box art? I just wish it wouldn't fade in when browsing the game details list