LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

The list view is just a details view with more focus on the game details in a list than the box art. The custom themes is just to make all the windows in LaunchBox work with the custom themes like the main window does. Currently, only the main window is themed; dialogs (like Add/Edit) are not. The customization/scripting system is currently not fully defined, but the basic goal would be to allow you to run custom scripts to do whatever you wanted for custom keyboard shortcuts or game controller buttons. This is still pretty open-ended; I don't expect it to get much votes, but I included it just to get people thinking and get feedback on the idea from the community.

Stumbled across this, and I love it. Found out I even loved it so much I bought premium a few months ago and promptly forgot it existed. Either way, I'm interested in beta testing, and my vote went to Big Picture mode for Launchbox. I'm hoping to integrate this with Steam and PLEX to create a seamless HTPC solution. Thanks for all the hard work!

Thanks. Quick request. Any chance you could make a Steam Banner for Launchbox? I can't find an image of your logo large enough to do it myself. Just need a simple log on background that's 460x215 in size. Then Launchbox can look all cute and perfect in Steam Big Picture mode!

rad4Christ said Thanks. Quick request. Any chance you could make a Steam Banner for Launchbox? I can't find an image of your logo large enough to do it myself. Just need a simple log on background that's 460x215 in size. Then Launchbox can look all cute and perfect in Steam Big Picture mode!
Sure. Give me a bit.

Jason Carr said Nice Brad. :) Font is just simple Open Sans.
Thats right. I remember it being simple, I just didn't remember what. Also yea, no problem. I had everything still from the Trailer. Also, here are text versions of the images. I created a white one for Jason, cause I know he likes it white, and there's nothing wrong with that. ;) But I also like a color version I proposed to him before, so I made that also. http://i.imgur.com/5n26Ic0.png http://i.imgur.com/uxgb90t.png

• 1 month later...
Jason Carr said I just put out a new beta with a Windows game search as well. Any testing you guys can do on that would also be appreciated. :
I've just given it a shot, and it seems to be hit-or-miss at the moment. As an example: I have a directory with my MS-DOS copy of Rise of the Triad (the GOG version). It's picking up DOSBox.exe in a sub-directory as the executable for the game instead of the WinROTT exec I have in the parent, and it also mislabeled it as the 2013 remake; clicking on it just brings up DOSBox. It also seems to have mistaken GOGDOSConfig.exe as "Multiplayer;" clicking on that displays a message to "Run DOSBox Configurator from start menu." Now, to be fair, that directory (with ROTT in it) actually contains nine (!) executables, four shortcuts, and a batch file in the parent directory alone, so I'm impressed that it was able to select anything. That said, this isn't a Windows game. :) As for the 2013 Windows remake of ROTT, it found that and identified it as the MS-DOS version, but when I tried to launch it, I got a pop up that read "The file you've specified for the application path was not found." When I checked, the path is correct, and manually launching the same identified file from within the directory (outside of LaunchBox) works just fine, so I'm not sure what's going on there. During the initial scan, it's also picking up things like editors, Pandora and Stella (an Atari 2600 emulator), and it's listing some games twice (even though the full path is identical). If you have anything specific you'd like me to try, just let me know.

Hi Hippyshake, unfortunately the Windows search is never going to be perfect, because it's just not possible. It's a lot of guessing; there's no way to really make it perfect. Still, I'm doing my best to tweak it to make it as good as possible. I'd be curious to know if there were any games that you have installed that it didn't find. Currently, I'm favoring finding as many things as possible, even if it identifies some non-games, as they are easy to delete from the list before the import. I use the LocalDB to help identify whether an item in your Start menu is a game or not.

Jason Carr said Hi Hippyshake, unfortunately the Windows search is never going to be perfect, because it's just not possible. It's a lot of guessing; there's no way to really make it perfect. Still, I'm doing my best to tweak it to make it as good as possible. I'd be curious to know if there were any games that you have installed that it didn't find. Currently, I'm favoring finding as many things as possible, even if it identifies some non-games, as they are easy to delete from the list before the import. I use the LocalDB to help identify whether an item in your Start menu is a game or not.
Please don't misunderstand me: I'm reporting, not complaining. Like I said in another thread, LaunchBox is the program I've been waiting 30 years for! :) Tomorrow morning, I'll wipe LB completely and do a full Windows scan. Then I'll go through to find out what services and games it's picked up and/or missed. Do you want to know non-games that it grabs, or are you just interested in the games it misses (if any)?

Of course, Hippyshake, no offense taken. I really do appreciate all the feedback. You can rest assured that I won't ever be offended by good feedback. :) That'll be a great help. Take note though that you can just use a separate LaunchBox install, so there's no need to wipe your collection. I'm mostly interested in the games that it doesn't find, but the non-games could certainly prove useful as well. Much appreciated.

Jason Carr said Take note though that you can just use a separate LaunchBox install, so there's no need to wipe your collection. I'm mostly interested in the games that it doesn't find, but the non-games could certainly prove useful as well. Much appreciated.
Thanks for the tip on the separate install! I forgot about LB's portability. I have several thousand games installed, so this will be a few hours. I also have to babysit my grandson at 1pm, so if I'm not done by then there will be some time I won't be able to work on it. The biggest problem so far that I've noticed is that LB tends to grab the DOSBox executable instead of the "Launch [Game Title].lnk" when importing Gog Galaxy games. (Just to satisfy my own curiosity because I can see an argument for both ways: Do you want LB to consider games from Gog as Windows or MS-DOS games?)