LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

supermario56 said Hello everyone, sorry for posting this in the beta testing, but I think there should be an option to use either boxes or in-game snapshots as part of the default view in LB and BB. So far its easier to find complete or close to complete sets of in-game images for most platforms, than for box arts, specially imports. Also, and I think this is already in the to-do list, but hopefully there could be an option to jump quickly between letters while browsing games. Cheers,
Quicker navigation with letters or hitting a letter on your keyboard is coming. As for the images I am unsure if we're going to change it up all that much honestly. Between LBGDB, EmuMovies and Wikipedia quite a lot is covered but there are certainly holes. The reason why I am unsure if we're going to even bother trying to offer alternatives is because we have our own Database now and we're confident that we're going to be able to start filling in those image gaps so that alternative images are less and less common.

Glad to hear about the navigation update! For the suggested alternate view, this has more to do when browsing for new games that you never played before, boxes give an great neat look at the collection, but in-game snaps are more useful to get a better idea about actual game. I know that you can click on each game and look at the details panel for game snaps, but that is the problem, you have to click each game to see what it actually looks like. For example, when inviting friends to play, most don't remember the names of the games they want to play, and they end-up clicking on each cover to see if that's what they are looking for or if is something they would like to play.

Hey everybody, just put out a new beta that allows you to sync your local collection to the LaunchBox Games Database. Please see this post for more details on how it all works: https://www.launchbox-app.com/announcements/sync-your-collection-to-the-cloud Let me know of course if you run into any bugs (I'm sure there are some). :)

supermario56 said Glad to hear about the navigation update! For the suggested alternate view, this has more to do when browsing for new games that you never played before, boxes give an great neat look at the collection, but in-game snaps are more useful to get a better idea about actual game. I know that you can click on each game and look at the details panel for game snaps, but that is the problem, you have to click each game to see what it actually looks like. For example, when inviting friends to play, most don't remember the names of the games they want to play, and they end-up clicking on each cover to see if that's what they are looking for or if is something they would like to play.
Well it'd be no different then picking up a game, a movie, a book (If any of you actually still use physicals) and reading the back, or opening up a PS2 game and reading the manual. This is just for the sake of argument though, I'm not saying that it still couldn't be a feature.

New Beta is out and we have some awesome news for everyone. The LaunchBox Games Database has some new features: http://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/collection/games/SentaiBrad http://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/collection/games/Jason%20Carr Some people found this naturally and started to manually do this but it is now built in to LaunchBox. You might notice a new context menu item "Cloud". Create your LBGDB Account and log in to it from within LaunchBox. This is also more or less the framework for the future of the Database because it's going to be the framework for uploading to the DB from within LB.

SentaiBrad said New Beta is out and we have some awesome news for everyone. The LaunchBox Games Database has some new features: http://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/collection/games/SentaiBrad http://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/collection/games/Jason%20Carr Some people found this naturally and started to manually do this but it is now built in to LaunchBox. You might notice a new context menu item "Cloud". Create your LBGDB Account and log in to it from within LaunchBox. This is also more or less the framework for the future of the Database because it's going to be the framework for uploading to the DB from within LB.
Just registered and synced my collection, amazing work Jason, this looks great, I love having an online portal that is automatically synced with my LaunchBox collection.

It works great in Microsoft Edge but when I switched my default browser to Firefox i get the platforms listed with no images. I do have an issue on this build of Windows with Flash not working right but i don't think that would effect images.

SentaiBrad said I don't think it's automatic, you do have to run the process to update it. It is something we can work on in the future as an option, maybe a premium option.
Sorry I did not mean automatic in that sense, I mean that by pushing the button to process the sync, it required no other user updating. This is so much better than an other online game collection I have had before, all of which required manual updating of my collection every time I changed or added something to my frontend. My online collection works well in Chrome, but I do notice that I get only the platform list if the the window is not very wide on the screen or fullscreen.

DOS76 said My bad it was rendering weird where there was just platform and no images when I scrolled down past the platform all the images were there then I hit control - and it changed it to the same way it looked in Edge.
Huh, must be a weird hiccup. We still appreciate the testing so don't worry.

How does the DB work I've noticed that it shows different images for some games then the ones I have as an example Congo Bongo for Colecovision the GDB and I'm assuming the LBDB are using the same full box image (front and back) but I have either found or just cropped that image and made a front box in my collection it shows that but on the web page it shows the full box instead.

Hey guys, in order to clear up confusion, please read the blog post I made earlier: https://www.launchbox-app.com/announcements/sync-your-collection-to-the-cloud There are several things mentioned that are important to note, such as differences in metadata/images, etc.