LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

You could always take the XML with the VLC line, change it to Windows Media Player, and put that on the test install, but I am starting to wonder if that is even the problem? I would think it might if there are some VLC issues with 32bit systems, it gets to where the line needs to be in the XML and crashes.

I was wrong about my earlier post I started the update yesterday but turned the computer off before it finished. I updated after reading your post but it installed beta 9 and now it won't start on either of my tablets I just tried to delete the VLC folder in the hope that that would help. If not what do I have to do to roll back?

DOS76 said I was wrong about my earlier post I started the update yesterday but turned the computer off before it finished. I updated after reading your post but it installed beta 9 and now it won't start on either of my tablets I just tried to delete the VLC folder in the hope that that would help. If not what do I have to do to roll back?
There are backup exe's in the "Updates" folder.

Hi Jason. I'm on Windows 32-bit and I just updated to Beta 10. Downloading and extraction works fine. Then comes the Initialization and Populating part. Populating Emulators and Games seem to be ok. It's when it goes to Populating Settings that it hangs with the Windows error message. This is the same as was happening with updating to Beta 9. Now, if I try to run LaunchBox beta 10, it starts the Populating thing again and brings up the Windows error at the Populating Settings stage. But if I run BigBox beta 10, then this launches ok.

This isn't any advancement on the topic, but I just wanted to interject and say you guys (Jason and Sentai) are absolute stars. This software is so well supported, and you are incredibly responsive to posts and people's problems. Bravo guys bravo. (and a big-up for the community trialling these Beta versions too)

I would like to humbly suggest that labeling and dividing the notes in the changelog to correspond with the beta # will make it easier for beta users to identify what changes were made in the most recent versions and give some direction in what to look for while beta testing. ex. Beta 10: These changes were made... etc...

Thanks for the kind words, @MesonW. :) @Drybonz, that has come up lots of times before and I agree that it would make things easier on you guys. The challenge is that the more time I spend updating changelogs, the less time I have to actually develop. So thus far I've chosen not to go into that much detail. I am uploading another beta. It's sort of a crapshoot but we'll see if it fixes it. The cross-communication between native VLC DLLs and .NET code is what is causing the problems I think. I still haven't been able to test this stuff in 32-bit environment; waiting for a test VHD to download from Microsoft. But if we're lucky, this'll just work. I'll let you know when the upload is finished.

Drybonz said Probably something on my end, but the 2nd beta version today, the one just uploaded, will not launch. Usually, it re-launches after updating but did not. Also, my normal icon to launch LB is not working.
Don't think so, it didn't relaunch, I can't get it to launch manually, I checked task manager, not even showing it pop in when I launch it

If you're having trouble updating to the latest beta because of the previous errors, download it from here and just install over the top of your previous installation: http://api.launchbox-app.com/DownloadBeta.ashx?s=cbf04341-4e0d-4859-a154-55a213120e0e