LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox Beta Testing

Jason Carr

Drybonz said With the changes in DOS game importing, should games, such as GoG, that were originally DOS but install PC style now show under the DOS or PC section in LB?
So this is something I've been concerned with ever since we've abandoned the (necessary) system restrictions of TheGamesDB. Overspecification. For example, we've now split up the NES into the Nintendo Entertainment System, the Famicom, and the Famicom Disk System. I like that we can finally distinguish various Japanese versions of games using metadata (having to rename them individually and reassign images was monotonous and didn't always work correctly), but at the same time, do we really need to split them up? I'd rather browse all my NES games at once then have to remember to click on the correct version of what is essentially the same platform. Same thing with Turbografx-16 and the TurboDuo/Turbografx-CD. Or DOS and "PC", which I guess arbitrarily means anything on Windows. DOS was integrated into the core of Windows for a long time after DOS-only games were being released, so where do we draw the line, and how? What about Sega Genesis and it's add-ons? Why isn't there a separate section for the Nintendo 64DD? (I mean, in part that's because the emulation doesn't exist for it, but we've got Playstation 4 and Xbox One sections, so what does that mean?) In another thread, https://www.launchbox-app.com/forum/features/how-can-be-contribute-to-the-launchbox-games-database/page-4#p13986 , @CADScott mentioned the need for differentiating between MSX versions. What about Arcade systems? It's arguably the broadest category imaginable, consisting of countless pieces of hardware that are considered the same platform only because they were meant to be played in public! Do we differentiate between CPS-1, CPS-2, etc.? Do we make duplicate entries in the database? *deep breath* I guess what I'm saying is, I think we need an option to, when setting up a platform on LaunchBox, check off any hardware we want to lump together as the same platform, and have the appropriate metadata get pulled. Otherwise, I see a lot of division coming as to what goes where. /rant Embarassed Sorry, but that's been bugging me since we left TheGamesDB.

I personally want to see the systems split so I'm all for how we have it now. Try setting up two games with the same name but with different images it is possible but only if you add or subtract something from one of the titles. The new system is better overall due to the constraints of LB so until that changes I'm happy to see the systems split up Plus for Nintendo and Famicom it just makes things tidier scrolling through a combined set of ROMs is a massive undertaking.

I don't think sorting would matter for that. You would need LB to differentiate between games with the same name which it currently doesn't do if you have three games named Donkey Kong there is only one set of meta and images for it so if you change the image for one it changes the image for all. Split systems is just the easiest way to do this in my opinion.

I think the thought process is to do it where it makes sense. I think PC games should be split in to 3 era's actually, DOS, Windows 9x era and Windows 2k+. DOS doesn't run on modern PC's, and 95 and 98 era games are very hit and miss. When it comes to consoles I think if it is a separate console it gets it's own section. So Genesis, CD and 32x all had separate games released for it, and CD + 32x games also exist so that would be separate too. MSX should be split up, N64DD should technically be split up (there is no emulator and like 5 Japanese only games though), the BS Add-on for SNES should be separate, etc etc etc. What we had previous before we started editing entries was a database purely from GamesDB. Some systems should be split, but some systems maybe not so much. Like I don't think Sega MegaDrive and Genesis should be split, that's the same exact console. The Famicom Disk System is different then the Famicom, but had similar games. Metroid and Zelda started on the FDS. MAME is tricky... because how do we do that sufficiently? Most users are content with just using MAME, and if all of the platforms are separate that means multiple set ups, but realistically they are all separate and different entities. I guess MAME would be split up by Engine / Board architecture. Either way, the Database will change and transform in to our own. It will be more granular for better overall quality control. It's just going to take some time.

I think when it comes to platform organization, it's important to note that there's no way to make everyone happy with the default platform settings. I prefer to separate out the various consoles, because it's much easier to combine platforms via batch edit than to separate them yourself. What we *do* need to get right, is to make sure that if you do choose to combine them, searches for metadata and images still work correctly. For example, if you combine Famicom into NES, it should still work properly to search for Famicom games from the site. I haven't done a lot of testing on this, but I expect we'll need to do some tweaking there.

Is it possible to create sub platforms under the main platforms? If a new platform is created for every single variant of each system it is going to end up a very long list! I would love to see something whereby there are sub groups within platforms, such as addons and variants. So we might have something like: -Nintendo |_Nintendo 64 ___|_Nintendo 64DD (A subset of Nintendo 64) -MSX |_MSX1 |_MSX2 |_MSX2+ |_MSX turbo R (Hard to draw the layout I am imagining with text!) This would allow our system lists to be manageable and roms to be added to the correct platform. I to would also solve the issue currently with the same game released on different variants of a system. Currently these show up as duplicates and there is no way to easily identify which variant is which.

CADScott said Is it possible to create sub platforms under the main platforms? If a new platform is created for every single variant of each system it is going to end up a very long list! I would love to see something whereby there are sub groups within platforms, such as addons and variants. So we might have something like: -Nintendo |_Nintendo 64 ___|_Nintendo 64DD (A subset of Nintendo 64) -MSX |_MSX1 |_MSX2 |_MSX2+ |_MSX turbo R (Hard to draw the layout I am imagining with text!) This would allow our system lists to be manageable and roms to be added to the correct platform. I to would also solve the issue currently with the same game released on different variants of a system. Currently these show up as duplicates and there is no way to easily identify which variant is which.
Like with collapsible tree's with plus and minus buttons. Could even be a premium feature, where regular users have a long list. You could even extend that to the console manufactures? So all Sega consoles are under the Sega banner, Nintendo etc. Potentially not, but it's a curious and good thought.

Hi Jason. I can't get the videos to work when the VLC engine is selected. This applies to both LaunchBox and BigBox modes. LaunchBox just stops responding and has to be process stopped. BigBox returns the error box in the attached image. I'm using Windows 32-bit. The WMP option plays the videos ok in LaunchBox and BigBox.