LaunchBox Community Forums

Emulator Settings for All Platforms

Jason Carr

Are there any commands to get neoragex to launch directly into the game? Right now when I launch a game from LB it opens the Neorage program and then I have to choose a rom from the list within the program. Sorry if this already been asked and answered, I spent a lot of time searching the forum.

Really I am only using it because it works well on it's own. All the games seem to launch fine and they have picture previews which I like, I am open to suggestions though. I haven't had any luck with neogeo or arcade using mame. I saw mention of using MAME for neogeo and when I set MAME as the default emulator I get the spinning windows cursor for a few seconds then it goes away and nothing happens. I am open to suggestions at this point after spending a couple of weeks messing around with this. I spent just a few minutes getting all the 8 and 16 bit consoles working, but many hours later no luck on arcade or neogeo. I am going to try a different MAME rom set tonight because I can only get a few of my arcade games to work out of hundreds and that's only when I put them in the roms folder in the MAME directory.

@j4syn I am really sorry for the late reply, I just noticed this post. I have been having problems with the new post notification button, so some posts have slipped through the cracks. Did you get it working? You could try winKawaks for NeoGeo, thats what I use and I can confirm it works with LB.

No problem. After some time filling in the blanks trying to follow the post about using the script I can start NeoGeo games from LB. That post needs clear step by steps directions for a noob like me. Laugh I figured it out though. Each time I launch a game winKawaks tells me it can see its my first time running it and all the settings are at defaults. The settings seem to save per game. Is this just the way it is or can I use the same settings for every game without going through and changing settings for each game?

j4syn said No problem. After some time filling in the blanks trying to follow the post about using the script I can start NeoGeo games from LB. That post needs clear step by steps directions for a noob like me. Laugh I figured it out though.
Will take a look at that later.
Each time I launch a game winKawaks tells me it can see its my first time running it and all the settings are at defaults. The settings seem to save per game. Is this just the way it is or can I use the same settings for every game without going through and changing settings for each game?
I am unable to replicate this. You can set the default settings you prefer and each game should use those default settings unless you set specific settings per game.

I'm pretty sure my issue is with the way winKawaks saves to the ini files. Right now it makes a new save ini for each game. I will try some things from the included faq to see if I can work it out. Thanks for your help bd

I figured it out. If you are playing a game and you use the save settings to .ini now option it creates an individual ini for that game in the folder named ini. If any of those individual game ini files are present the program expects one for every game you run otherwise it loads default settings expecting you to want to set up individual setting for that game. The solution is to delete the individual game ini files from the ini folder and then winKawaks will use the general settings saved in the WinKawaks.ini in the root directory. Wow what a pain...

Well maybe I'm full of it. I wish I could retract that post. I just finished dinner and now I have pretty much the same issue again. I'm using version 163. I discovered some strange behavior that I'm a little confused about. I deleted my winKawaks directory and pasted the roms back to the roms folder. I get different results per game I guess. Some give me the default splash when I run them while others error out without the flash and just need the roms file path specified then run correctly. I just realized that when I run a game winkawaks is writing 2 files in the directory that has the bat file for the game. This is what is confusing me because I've never told it about that directory yet it is writing to it. The 2 files are WinKawaks.ini and WinKawaks.rom This is what is in the bat file: cd /d "C:\Users\something\Desktop\LaunchBox\Emulators\Neo Geo\winkawaks163\WinKawaks.exe" start "Emulator" "C:\Users\something\Desktop\LaunchBox\Emulators\Neo Geo\winkawaks163\WinKawaks.exe\" %~n0 Does that look correct?

I know what's wrong, the problem is here:
j4syn said cd /d "C:\Users\something\Desktop\LaunchBox\Emulators\Neo Geo\winkawaks163\WinKawaks.exe"
It should be:
cd ..
It is entirely my fault. When I redid the launcher creation script, I made an error Embarassed I have fixed the error now. First off, you need to do a few things to make sure the next part works: 1. Make sure you have set your path to your roms in winKawaks. 2. Make sure your batch files are in your ROM directory. 3. Make sure each batch file is in it's own folder. Once all those are true, rerun my script and move all the new batch files to the corresponding folders (overwriting the old ones). That should fix your issue. Really sorry about that, this script has caused me more issues than it has solved. Hopefully all the bugs have been wrinkled out now. When I have time I will rewrite that post of instructions too. I am planning to rewrite the script so it creates all the folders and puts the launch scripts in the correct directory too. Make it completely automated. But that will be a long and tedious script and I am struggling to find time at the minute, since all my "LB time" is focused on creating the images Jason needs. I will get round to it at some point...

@j4syn I just had an idea how to speed up things for you. First download Notepad++ https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.7.8.2.html Then open up all your current batch files in Notepad++ (in the rom dir, use the searchbox in explorer and put *.bat, select all the results, right click and choose "Edit with Notepad++") Then in Notepad++ press Ctrl+H In the "Find what:" field paste this: /d "C:\Users\something\Desktop\LaunchBox\Emulators\Neo Geo\winkawaks163\WinKawaks.exe" NOTE: Make sure you don't add the space before the /d In the "Replace with:" field put this: .. (That's just two period's .. don't include this bit) Then press the button that says "Replace in All Opened Documents" Once that has complete press "Ctrl-Shft-S" or press the save all menu button. That should save you considerable time. All the best.

Thanks for all your help on this bd000 I just went ahead and started over with your updated script and things seem to be working now. I don't get the first time running message anymore and nothing is writing to the individual directories with the game bat files either. There are 2 files being written to the root of the directory containing the game bat files folders: WinKawaks.ini and WinKawaks.rom This is a huge improvement and maybe I can actually play some games now.Laugh

• 3 weeks later...
Command Line for the SuperModel emulator:- -res=1280,1024 -fullscreen You need to replace the 1280,1024 with whatever your screen resolution is, this is very important (the , signifies X multiply, you must use the comma, also there is a space between 1024 and -fullscreen). With this command line supermodel will open up in full screen mode, why that is important is that superModel will work perfectly with your gamepad without you having to configure your controller. (well at least i didnt have to i just had to click buttons on it till i found out which keys thet were mapped to my generic usb gamepad). The following games work perfectly with the SuperModel emulator:- Daytona 2 Power Edition Lemans 24 Star Wars Trilogy (must be Rev A) The Lost World Jurassaic Park.

Anyone have any luck with WinVice running C64 games through LB? I have been all over the internet tonight. Every where I look I almost find an answer but it's hidden in a fog of complex riddles, lol. Riddles than make no since. Like one place says just use: -autostart 'game name.d64' Ok, where does it know to look for the game, there is not a predefined or definable rom directory within WinVice..that I can see. Tried using the settings from the table here but just loads you to the C64 screen saying ready, but nothing loaded, also didn't recognize 1571 after -disk8type, which I don't understand...I looked it up and it says 1571 is just a 370kb floppy format. Anyway any help would be great. Games run fine outside of LB, associated the d64 files to x64.exe and just have to fullscreen after.