LaunchBox Community Forums

Watch movies using Launchbox as the front-end

ps4isthefuture

To anyone interested: Here is how to watch movies through Launchbox paired with VLC media player. Go through the motions to add a movie just as if you were adding a game. Enable the emulator option. Name the platform as you see fit, I used Movies. Next browse to the vlc.exe, this will allow vlc to run. Next in the command line area add --fulscreen --no-spu --fullscreen will make vlc go fullscreen and --no-spu will disable subtitles, if you want the subtitles then leave off the --no-spu You will have to enter all the data for the movie yourself ex;genre, year, publisher. I lack the talent to programme Launchbox to retrieve this information from a database online. Also you will have to load box art and fan art manually. To load say the front of a dvd box, go into your Launchbox directory, then images, then locate the directory that matches the movie you added. There will be an alpha-numeric coding after the name, just ignore that. Go into the matching movie directory and load the box art you want but name it "Front.jpg" without the quotes. It must be named that exactly or it will not work. If you want to add the back box art do the same thing just name it "Back.jpg" as well without the quotes. Now for the fan art. There will already be a directory named fan art. Just drop the picture or pictures you would like into this folder. I would recommend a picture that matches your screen resolution so it looks nice and clean. Personally I'm using 1920x1080. Now if some of the art work seems not to be showing, first make sure you have the proper naming for the Front.jpg and Back.jpg, secondly in Launchbox got to tools at the top and select refresh all images. It's a little work until someone gets a database retrieval script and scripting for retrieving art work but it's a step in the right direction and something to pass time. Please feel free to contribute to this.Movies-on-Launchbox.jpg
  • Like 1

ps4isthefuture said It's a little work until someone gets a database retrieval script and scripting for retrieving art work but it's a step in the right direction and something to pass time. Please feel free to contribute to this.
This is really cool. Seeing what people could do with LaunchBox, but I think its safe to say that this is out of the realm of what Jason wanted. Im not saying that there couldn't be features like this in the future, way in the future, but I am certain he is more concerned about updating, maintaining and creating new features for games. I'm also sure he doesn't want to compete with Kodi (XBMC), its an extremely well established Movies, TV and Music front end; Though I just use it for TV and Movies. Not that we shouldn't compete with them, but there is really no point when they're this extremely well established with skins, addons and the like, on several platforms. It doesn't make sense to target that demographic just yet in LaunchBox's case. I still think however, this is frikin awesome. I love seeing what other people want to do with their programs and it does excite me when others take the normal functions of the program, and uses them for unintended purposes. Not malicious ones either. :P

Thanks for the comment. I was just bored and thought I'd give it a try. I normally use XBMC for my movies but sometimes I get tired of random crashes, freezing, still running in the background. But no program is perfect and I like having a multiple programs that do about the same operation. Like my main gaming front-end is Hyperspin, but sometimes I want a break from all the extra work that is involved with that front-end. It's still my main front-end but Launchbox is like a new sweet relaxing breath of air, almost jump right in from nothing. So Launchbox is great for me to jump in and play and relax, and Hyperspin is a giant time consuming project I've been working on that never seems to end, lol. I'll keep messing around with Launchbox and see if maybe I can find some other uses as well. Thanks again and glad you enjoyed the concept.

well this is something new that can be done with LB , so tried it with music like adding songs to teh Library and making the album art and finally choosing winamp to play it, and it did looks like anything can be added to LB even if it is not a game . it seems that LB has the potential to to be used in all domains of collection even if it is not related to games.

• 2 years later...
17 hours ago, bundangdon said:

For now, you're probably better off using another media launcher-program like kodi https://kodi.tv/ It's basically like launchbox, but built mostly for movies, tv programs, music, etc. And within kodi, you can add a direct shortcut to launchbox/bigbox and then you'll have everything you need! :)

Right on! I do use Kodi but I wanted to have everything together, I wasnt aware you could add LB to Kodi so i will do that. Thanks! 

• 9 months later...

I'm not sure how this works in other browsers, but with chrome you can make desktop shortcuts directly to any webpage Here are instructions on how. So you could make a load of shortcuts and put them in a folder, then import said folder just like you would with any roms, so you would name the "system" something like "websites" and when Launchbox asks for the roms just point it to your shortcuts folder.

Edit:

Actually the easiest way would be to add the shortcuts to a folder then drag the folder onto Launchbox, when the wizard pops up asking what you are importing choose the "none of the above" option.

• 6 years later...