LaunchBox Community Forums

Just out of curiosity what was you first ever computer and game console?

kamyk2000

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hippyshake, I finally got around to capturing the "Volvo in my Closet" thing on 'film' (so to speak). Here's the books full of discs that are 'on display': Volvo-1.jpg (SentaiBrad, you may recognize that picture above the shelf thing, since you appear to be an Oregonian. My hometown, Portland). Those goofy little figures all have hair that moves with the music (if they're turned on). Each figure's hair moves a different way. Just some of the many things I own that attest to my immaturity. Laugh Those are my rear speakers flanking the shelf. Anyway, those books are all full. The total numbers of discs on that shelf is 4,096. I have many other books that actually are in the closet. Laugh Here's what the 'books' look like on the inside: Volvo-2.jpg You can see I have the pages numbered, and I use that program I mentioned in another topic, DVD Profiler, to catalog them, etc., so I can actually find a movie. Smile And there you have my "Volvo in the Closet". If I hadn't bought all those movies, I could have bought a very nice Volvo. Laugh

That's really impressive. I gave away about 6 of those cases a few years ago and, with the exception of a few Blu-Ray box sets, went completely digital. I liked the compactness of them, but missed having cases on display. Your setup is a really great compromise. Love the speakers, too!

Thanks, Hippyshake. Yeah, I should probably 'go digital' too, as it certainly takes-up less space. Wink A while back, when I'd by a new DVD, I'd get the Blu-ray/DVD combo pack, and give one of the discs to my daughter and son-in-law, who live here in town. Eventually, though, they said I didn't need to give them one of movies anymore, as they pretty much streamed everything. They've done as you and 'gone digital'. I'm a bit 'green' (well, I recycle), and going digital would have a much more positive effect than the physical media, with all it's packaging and what not. But for the media collectoholic, the physical media can be fun, of sorts. I don't buy DVD's too much anymore, though. I have Netflix and Amazon Prime, so I have access to more programming than I could ever watch, but I'd be hard-pressed to give-away my collection now. But, I'm certainly up for 'willing it' to someone. Smile

Cadet Stimpy said I have Netflix and Amazon Prime, so I have access to more programming than I could ever watch, but I'd be hard-pressed to give-away my collection now. But, I'm certainly up for 'willing it' to someone. Smile
Yeah, that's the downside, that you're paying to lease content that you can't pass on. I gave a bunch to my daughter though, so not all of it went in the bin. I have NF and AP too, but I've added Hulu recently, because NF got rid of almost all of their BBC programs, and most of my favorite shows are from them. AP scoring HBO was huge though..finally got to watch the rest of The Sopranos and Oz. So much money saved of box sets. I do miss commentaries and behind the scenes features though. I wish the streaming companies would start arrying some of the extras. Hulu does to an extent, but not commentaries.

@kamyk2000 - I decided to take your advice. My son is now on the way to a lovely Mario-esk moustache. We are currently at 7 short stray hairs. I will keep shaving his top lip twice a day until a beautiful brown bush begins to emerge! Laugh @Hippyshake - Liking the Bundle Junkies space, congrats.

• 9 months later...
My first system was a Radio Shack TRS-80, which was a crappy computer. It used audio cassettes to write save information. It had some choose-your-own-adventure style text games and a game called python which might have been the first version of the "snake" game that people play on their cell phones. Then to Atari 2600 and an early PC that ran on 5 1/4" floppy disks with no hard drive. I started out on games like the original Rogue and Starflight (which was remade on Genesis years later). I also had access to a Mac II at a friend's house and we played games like Enchanted Scepters and Ultima III in black and white. Those games can be emulated now on miniVmac with some effort. On to NES, Genesis, SNES, Sega CD, Playstation, Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360 (I think in that order... maybe I missed something). PC was always there as well... upgrading over the years. It would be hard to pick a favorite system. I have a fondness still for the Sega Saturn, although maybe the NES made the biggest impression on me overall.

My first ever console was a Sega Master System. Next in line I got a NES and then a Sega Genesis,Sega CD,SNES and etc. I have probally owned about every console over the years except the super expensive ones like the 3DO,Neo Geo and etc. My first computer I cannot remember but I do know that my first computer game I played was Kings Quest. Ah Great Memories!!Smile

My older sister had the nes, so mario/duck hunt was the first video game I ever played. As far as I know or remember, my parents never bought a single other game for it. The first console I had was the amazing.... VTECH SOCRATES https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VTech_Socrates#/media/File:Vtech_socrates.jpg Just last year I was finally able to emulate a game from it, and the memories. In the early 90s they bought me the SNES. In 1994ish my cousin and I took first and second place in the Donkey Kong Country contest at the local blockbuster, and we were able to rent 2 games for free every 2 weeks for the next year. It was this period that I became a fanatic. In case youre wondering, I took first place on that first day, but my parents wouldn't take me back on day 2, and his parents took HIM, and he beat my score. So he took the gold, me the silver. My first computer, maybe one of you can help me out, cause I can't even find it on google. It was a screen with a keyboard attached, like all in one. I THINK it ran DOS... as I think there was a command prompt, but there was also some kind of rudimentary operating system... My Uncle had bought it to use for work, he was an Accountant. It had... like a rudimentary Rolodex and calculator. There was no mouse or anything, you had to do everything on that keyboard. In retrospect, my uncle tossed the awful thing and my day snatched it and gave it to me as a gift. He acted like it was my fault I couldn't have any fun with it. Much later my dad bought another computer and AOL, and my first PC game was either Lands of Lore, or Redneck Rampage. I can't remember which came first. I had played a few other DOS games, Oregon Trail, Leisure Suit Larry, and Commander Keen, at friends or at school by that time.

My first console that I owned was my Atari 2600 I got for my 8th birthday back in 82 and my first computer was a Commodore Vic 20 with the oh so awesome cassette drive and monochrome monitor I got the following year. Before the Atari though I remember playing Pong on a Coleco Telstar my uncle owned. I also had some handheld electronic games like a Space Invaders I got for my 5th birthday. I still have my original 2600 and the Space Invaders handheld, both still work perfectly.