LaunchBox Community Forums

Slowly Building a Book Library

Kriven

Got fed up with what Calibre does to file names and the fact that book databases are pretty well useless for scraping usable info from. Attempting to reconstruct the library in LaunchBox instead, though it's slow going since the program isn't really built for it (and thus, cannot pull cover data straight from the CBR/CBZ/PDF files). Also making banners for everything, which is proving to be trickier than I anticipated. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-n5tVHF-bpvo/VVs7Trvgz_I/AAAAAAAAJls/cRvMf049-MA/s1600/comicslaunchbox.png I'm finding the "Additional Apps" feature to be useful for organizing Annuals/Specials with my comics, as well as other supplementary material like magazine articles and art books. Right now I have it set up to handle each file extension as a different console, with specific reading programs as the emulators. A custom field, "Media", handles the specific style of book (Comics, Encylopedias, Novels, etc.). Developer field for Authors.

Very cool Kriven. This is extremely long-term, but I'm thinking eventually we could put a drop down at the top of the side bar for the type of media (Games, Platforms, Books, Movies, TV Shows, Music, etc.). And then have customized views and filtering for all of them.

Jason Carr said Very cool Kriven. This is extremely long-term, but I'm thinking eventually we could put a drop down at the top of the side bar for the type of media (Games, Platforms, Books, Movies, TV Shows, Music, etc.). And then have customized views and filtering for all of them.
See? Just "LaunchBox." Don't need any fancy-shmancy appended subtitled second names. Just LaunchBox. It's what's for dinner. (Seriously; it's clever, it says exactly what the product does, and it's short and easier to remember, and it's already non-game specific. Why confuse the buyer? My unsolicited 2 cents.) @Kriven: That is a seriously, seriously excellent idea.

Jason Carr said Very cool Kriven. This is extremely long-term, but I'm thinking eventually we could put a drop down at the top of the side bar for the type of media (Games, Platforms, Books, Movies, TV Shows, Music, etc.). And then have customized views and filtering for all of them.
I greatly look forward to the day when LaunchBox's fullest potentials are realized. A drop down menu for switching between media libraries would be a very handy thing indeed. I'm trying to refrain so much from loading you with suggestions about each specific media type because I know it's all so far in the future, but just thinking about it gets my mind whirring. Ha.. LaunchBox is really the greatest launching program I've ever used... it's so simply designed, yet so incredibly powerful for those who care to dig into it all.
Hippyshake said @Kriven: That is a seriously, seriously excellent idea.
Thanks ^_^

One thing I've noticed while doing this is that LaunchBox's native alphabetization is a little wrong. For instance, it seems to place special characters after "Z" when they should technically be placed before "#". By this I mean the traditional hierarchy is: Special Characters > Numbers > Letters. I have a number of B.P.R.D. comics which, because of their spelling, should come before all other comics beginning with the letter "B". Instead they come at the end. Similarly, Son of Sinbad, because of the short word "Son", is following "Sonic the Hedgehog", when "Son of Sinbad" should be coming first. comicboxupdate.jpg

• 1 month later...
Kriven said Question: is it possible to make LaunchBox open a specific folder instead of a "game"? It would be much simpler to point to, say "Teen Titans, Volume 3" folder than to each individual comic file.
Theoretically... yes? Try creating a shortcut and make a link in LB like you would a game, but choose the shortcut. I.e. C:\Users\Brad\Desktop\Pixel Art.lnk That should open my Pixel Art folder.

Yes SentaiBrad is right making a shortcut of anything in windows under LaunchBox will open anything you want once you point to the shortcut, even another instance of Launchboxthat is how i watch films listen to music having the player open up through a shortcut open my computers dvd even the internet or word processors

Originally I was lumping the entire series into a single .cbz file, but they were slowing down my tablet that way. Right now I haven't decided how I want to handle the desktop library, but I probably go ahead and have LaunchBox open a shortcut to the folder, as was recommended. For me it's mainly to serve as a clean way to browse through the collection (like using a public library's book finding software) as I don't actually read them on the PC.

Kriven said One thing I've noticed while doing this is that LaunchBox's native alphabetization is a little wrong. For instance, it seems to place special characters after "Z" when they should technically be placed before "#". By this I mean the traditional hierarchy is: Special Characters > Numbers > Letters. I have a number of B.P.R.D. comics which, because of their spelling, should come before all other comics beginning with the letter "B". Instead they come at the end. Similarly, Son of Sinbad, because of the short word "Son", is following "Sonic the Hedgehog", when "Son of Sinbad" should be coming first. comicboxupdate.jpg
Jason Carr said Yeah, truth. I have some custom alphabetization in place to handle game order better, but it sometimes gets in the way. I have an item on my list to allow customization of that.
I've had a similar issue with one of my games not being in the right place. Forgotten realms Vol I: keeps being placed between Vol III: and Vol IV:. The alphabetization might need a little bit of a tweaking. Capture.JPG

I think the current school-of-thought to getting that fixed is to go into the "Other" tab when you're editing a game's metadata and replacing the Roman numeral with the more traditional number. This way they sort numerically but display Roman.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm redoing everything and trying to get a more all-in-one media center. Right now just comics, games, and books because I haven't been satisfied with the alternatives. I also decided that this tiled view is much nicer across both LaunchBox and Big Box than any other kind of "front" image system. Individual comics are stores as Additional Applications while the first issue is actually considered the game. This works well for me because I primarily just want an easy way to look at my collection and think "Oh yeah, I want to read this series" and load the whole lot onto my tablet, but it also creates a clean menu from Big Box, for when I want to read them on my desktop. "Additional Apps" is also a great way of storing specials, annuals, and related books (like artbooks). If anybody wants me to share my tiles and logos, I can upload them somewhere. I don't know how Jason would feel about me posting them right to the forums because the images technically contain copyrighted material (which I didn't think about when I had started my N64 posters thread. I'm sorry), but if he's uncomfortable with that I can host them at my blog. The tiles don't fit perfectly in LaunchBox, but they're close enough for me to feel happy with how it looks. launchboxscreen01.pnglaunchboxscreen02.pnglaunchboxscreen03.pnglaunchboxscreen04.pngand launchboxscreen05.png