LaunchBox Community Forums

Mednafen Saturn coming ?

Lordmonkus

For now I would use Retroarchs core for games that use the d-pad and for games that use the analog controller use the stand alone Mednafen. The RA core doesn't have analog controller support yet but shouldn't be too much longer.

Stand alone Mednafen is in a better state than SSF as long as your disk images are proper.

• Like 1

For the life of me I can't get the Mednafen Saturn core to work, neither in LB nor just in Retroarch. Tried different rips of the games, tried using CDMage, tried everything. Everything fails to launch. Sometimes I get an "Uncorrectable data at sector 0" error message, sometimes not. Almost everything I have is "mostly" working in the Yabause core but I'd love to switch over.

Yabause and SSF are much more forgiving of bad dumps than Mednafen.

"Uncorrectable data at sector 0" error message can be corrected. Check your file name, sometimes ones that are extra long and full of different characters cause problems. First try renaming the cue + bin names to something shorter (be sure to adjust the cue sheet to point to your renamed bin file).

Are your files in simple cue + bin ? Or do they have mp3 or wav music files ? If you have music files you will need to mount the disk image in something like Daemon Tools Lite and then regenerate new a new cue + bin with ImgBurn. I did a video on fixing the mp3 / wav format dumps. Also try this for the uncorrectable data error if the renaming doesn't work.

So I updated to the newest RA core in hopes that I could then play Astal with it since I believe they were supposed to have pushed the update downstream, but post-update I'm getting nothing but awful stuttering crunchy audio - it was totally fine before. Standalone still works fine as well... no idea what the deal is. I've tried messing with quite a few video and audio settings to no avail.