LaunchBox Community Forums

Mednafen Saturn coming ?

Lordmonkus

SSF right now is the best option for Saturn emulation and to be fair it does a very good job but the fact it does not support disk images directly makes it a massive pain the ass. It can be worked around but it shouldn't need to be. Yabause is so-so, it's sound emulation right now is garbage. With the Mednafen people behind it we know there is quality there and the people behind it know what they are doing and it will make its way into Retroarch for all that shader goodness which the Saturn is going to need badly.

• 2 months later...
The first version of Mednafen with Saturn support has been released. From my quick testing with my 17 games 50% work and 50% don't work but the ones that do work extremely well. I have another thread awaiting moderation for some reason about this release explaining how to get it up a running in Launchbox but I wanted to let people know my experiences with it so far and for a first unstable release things are looking amazing, it's very close behind SSF in terms of quality but needs more compatibility to take over the #1 spot. It will happen though, I am very confident in it.

Indeed, I wasn't expecting any releases at all for at least another few months but to see this now and the quality level that it's at is awesome. I have a 5 minute video I just recorded playing the first bit of Guardian Heroes rendering and going to upload it to youtube shortly.

It is command line. Since my thread I started is still awaiting moderation I will just pots the bulk of it in here. It's labeled as unstable and experimental so keep that in mind. Here's how to get it working. First download the latest release from the Mednafen homepage. Extract it into it's own folder called whatever you want it to be, I called mine Mednafen (duh). Copy your Saturn bios into the root folder where the mednafen.exe is located. You will need to rename your north american and japan bios files. mpr-17933.bin for the NA, sega_101.bin for the JP. Add Mednafen to your emulators list in Launchbox and you can now tell your Saturn games to use Mednafen. If you have the correct bios files the games should load. Once a game has started you will need to configure your controls. Press Alt + Shift + 1 to setup controls for player one. You will have on screen prompts to press the corresponding buttons on your controller. Alt + Shift + 2 for player 2 controller. If you want some scanlines and a sharper image add the following command line switches in Launchbox in the Associated Platforms. -ss.scanlines 30 -ss.special nn2x Scanlines go from 1 to 100, 100 being more dark, I like 30 personally. Here is a 5 minute video showing off some Guardian Heroes. https://youtu.be/FG_yukgL9oY

This is awesome. Got things up and running well and testing things now. I found that by default the screen doesn't seem to stretch to full dimensions in full screen so first I tried using the "-ss.stretch aspect" function which helped but still wasn't quite full for whatever reason. Changing it to "-ss.stretch 0 -ss.xscalefs 5 -ss.yscalefs 5" however fixed it beautifully. Daytona USA Championship Edition runs better than it does on Yabause or SSF for me. Enemy Zero works. Hyper Duel looks and sounds perfect but I noticed some significant input delay... Metal Black is the same story as Hyper Duel. It could be that it's present in the other two as well but it's something that's most noticeable in a shmup. Burning Rangers crashed on launch for me...I may have to take a look at my file. Most of my Saturn games are currently in MDS+MDF format so I guess I'll be doing some converting tonight...

Right now my working vs non working games are: Working: Blazing Dragons Darius II Darius Gaiden DonPachi Dragon Force II Guardian Heroes Magic Knight Rayearth (after getting a new copy) Nights Panzer Dragoon Panzer Dragoon Saga Soukyu Gurentai Otokuyo Not Working: Clockwork Knight 2 Cotton 2 Cotton Boomerang Herc's Adventures Keio Flying Squadron 2 (runtime error) Princess Crown Radient Silvergun Sexy Parodius I don't know if the games that don't work would work with a new image or not. My first Magic Knight Rayearth didn't work but a new copy fixed it. I have tried different downloads of the 2 Cotton games but no luck on either of them. If anyone has any games I listed working please let me know.

lordmonkus said Right now my working vs non working games are: Working: Blazing Dragons Darius II Darius Gaiden DonPachi Dragon Force II Guardian Heroes Magic Knight Rayearth (after getting a new copy) Nights Panzer Dragoon Panzer Dragoon Saga Soukyu Gurentai Otokuyo Not Working: Clockwork Knight 2 Cotton 2 Cotton Boomerang Herc's Adventures Keio Flying Squadron 2 (runtime error) Princess Crown Radient Silvergun Sexy Parodius I don't know if the games that don't work would work with a new image or not. My first Magic Knight Rayearth didn't work but a new copy fixed it. I have tried different downloads of the 2 Cotton games but no luck on either of them. If anyone has any games I listed working please let me know.
Radient Silvergun and Clockwork Knight 2 both work for me so make sure you check your rips! I haven't tested the other games you listed as not working however.

This is what I've tested so far. Some of the non-working ones are probably a particular rip or possibly a region issue. I think one or two of them might be PAL region. Working: Albert Odyssey Assault Suit Leynos 2 Blast Wind Bulk Slash Burning Rangers Corpse Killer: Graveyard Edition Crime Wave Dark Savior Digital Pinball: Necronomicon Daytona USA - Championship Edition Enemy Zero Fighters Megamix Final Fight Revenge Funky Head Boxers Funky Head Boxers Plus Gale Racer Ghen War Golden Axe: The Duel Guardian Heroes Gungriffon Hyper Duel Konami Antiques: MSX Collection Last Bronx The Legend of Oasis Metal Black Mobile Suit Gundam: The Blue Destiny Night Striker S Panzer Dragoon Won't launch/no error message: Digital Pinball: Last Gladiators Elan Doree Gungriffon II Mr. Bones Crashing: Astal - launches and runs but after a bit audio hangs and the game locks up Clockwork Knight 2 - runtime error Digital Pinball: Last Gladiators - runtime error Dragon Force - runtime error