LaunchBox Community Forums

Mednafen Saturn coming ?

Lordmonkus

now i'm back to my original problem when i tried using RA before. it works great with my xbox360, but now i can['t also use my keyboard based x-arcade dual joystick. i never figured out how the setup should be if i want to use either or depending on my mood

Well, like I've said before, even if an emulator doesn't support xinput it doesn't mean your controller is going to be rendered useless if it uses xinput. I've got a couple of emulators like standalone 4DO and some C64 emulators that don't support xinput and the 360 controller works just fine with them (because they hook in through dinput instead).

so i just noticed while running a game from retroarch, that it was picking up my Xpadder xbox 360 button presses because it was exiting the game with one of the button. i was running Xpadder by accident. so that tells me keyboard presses also work in RA even if using an xinput xbox controller. so, it should just be a matter of remapping the key presses in RA to my x-arcade buttons, but the RA interface confuses me around this area.

like my x-arcade buttons use B Z X, H Y N, 1 U 5  for one side of joystick and other keys for 2nd joystick. seems like if i can set these letters i'll be ok with x-arcade.

Hi,

I've tried mednafen saturn 0.9.39.1 and using cdmage 1.02.1 b5 to drop one of my games cue files onto it for the convert (didn't change its default options).

Even after doing this, I end of with the same exact result and all game cue files i have tried dropping on top of mednafen.exe and that is absolutely nothing happens.

All of my saturn game files play fine in SSF.

I have the Saturn bios files that work for SSF and renamed in the mednafen root directory to sega_101.bin (japanese) and mpr-17933.bin (from emup... site.).

Any ideas?

Do a google search for "sega saturn region patcher srp 3.0 gold edition"

Open the one that didn't work on it and see what region code it has listed on the right. If it's one of the pal ones, uncheck it and then click "U: North America" and then click "Let's patch your image" and then try it in Mednafen again.

No need to Google the region patcher, it's available right here in the third party apps section. Thanks to the patcher I can play Keio Flying Squadron 2 again. Also if you haven't, watch @SIMPLY AUSTIN's Mednafen Saturn video. 
We all really need to thank Dr. Abrasive for mapping the entire Saturn architecture, which will allow for better than perfect emulation, ie constant 60fps.

Thanks @Thanos Reigns, I didn't see any sites to download from that I was comfortable with. Glad you posted this. I'll try it out. If it works, I'm not so sure I want to unzip all my games, patch them, re-zip them. Ugh. Hopefully Mednafen will just start supporting pal games. At least this will let me compare a couple games to SSF.

On September 12, 2016 at 7:04 PM, Zombeaver said:

Open the one that didn't work on it and see what region code it has listed on the right. If it's one of the pal ones, uncheck it and then click "U: North America" and then click "Let's patch your image" and then try it in Mednafen again.

i ran the region patcher on one of the images that did nothing when dropping on mednafen.exe, but in the tool it already said the image was U:North America. I clicked 'lets patch your image" anyway but got the same result. 

i must have a wrong usa bios or it has wrong name or something like that. i just don't know which specific bios file from emu paradise to use and what to rename it to in case i used the wrong one.  =/

And I take it this is one that you already ran through CDMage?

Scroll down to the "Firmware/BIOS" section here to see what you should be using for the bios files.

sega_101.bin is the Japan bios and mpr-17933.bin for USA. They need to be named exactly like that. The specific hashes are listed in that link. They should be in the base Mednafen directory (or firmware subdirectory) for standalone and the system subdirectory for RA.