LaunchBox Community Forums

Linux Build

HobbitCy

New user here, Just went Premium :) Loving it. Quick question if i may as i couldn't find anything in the forums but any chance of a linux port? over the last year my PC is Linux primary and would love to not have to dual boot :) Thanks Keep up the great work : )

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
On 12/9/2015 at 1:23 PM, SentaiBrad said:

Linux and Mac are not off the table. However, to port LaunchBox over would take away from working on the current Windows Build and because Jason is the sole developer it is somewhat of a far off idea. I know Jason wishes it could be something that could happen sooner.

This is unfortunate as I am a multi platform user. I was ready to buy a licence too, 

Call me when there is at LEAST a Linux version as well. 

Just now, Slybo said:

This is unfortunate as I am a multi platform user. I was ready to buy a licence too, 

Call me when there is at LEAST a Linux version as well. 

Welcome and thanks for the comment.

So much a multi platform user that, you have none unless its Linux?

• Haha 3

I also want to show my interest in a linux port. I bought a premium license a long time ago but I haven't really used it. Since I'm about to abandon windows completely, I want to know if this is a possibility?

cheers

Edited by Heciruam
fix

• 2 years later...

I see this thread is a bit old but I have fully swapped over to Linux in my home (with the exception of my spouses laptop). WINE has came a long way in the past couple years thanks to the help of Valve(Steam) and protonDB developers (and probably many others that deserve credit) . A large percentage of windows games and applications have become easily available in Linux under WINE. (Albeit some with some heavy configuration still). I haven't been able to use my Launchbox for awhile now because of being so busy but sometime this week I will work on getting Launchbox working in my Linux and may be able to provide a tutorial. The biggest issue is each individual emulator will need to be installed in its own individual WINE bottle and then Launchbox will have to be directed to those bottles to be able to see the emulators and launch them when asked to. Like I said, I will play around and work with it sometime this week because I (and probably others) would love to be able to use Linux to reap the performance benefits over Windows. 

Edit: It slipped my mind but I just thought that most of the emulators (at least the ones I use) are already ported natively to Linux so that may take an extra step out of the equation. 

Edited by magnum12r
Afterthought
  • Thanks 1

The problem and will remain the problem for the foreseeable future is the potential sales. As much as I would love to see a Linux version of Launchbox and even make the switch to Linux full time for myself there simply is not enough of a user base to make it worth Jasons time to port Launchbox over.

• 4 months later...
On 1/21/2020 at 6:10 PM, Lordmonkus said:

The problem and will remain the problem for the foreseeable future is the potential sales. As much as I would love to see a Linux version of Launchbox and even make the switch to Linux full time for myself there simply is not enough of a user base to make it worth Jasons time to port Launchbox over.

Count me as a lifetime customer that wants Linux support - because I'm completely switching to it.   Time to start a fork to dotnet core 3.1, even if it's just a stripped down version of the database features to start - I can live without BigBox for now.

You're also missing out on potential Mac customers, unless there's already support for that.

And just as a note, I've been a .NET/c# developer since the 2.0 beta, so I understand that this isn't an easy task.   

Heck, I'm going to really miss Visual Studio, but it is what it is for me.

Open-Source this new "Launchbox Core", and Jason will get all sorts of support.  Sounds like he needs a vacation anyway.

Also, .NET 5 is coming.   Standard is dead.

Thank you.

Edited by SuperClassicGamer